PDA

View Full Version : How do you tie those goldurned tandem hook knots?

Full_Monte
10-05-2008, 12:43 PM
After spending another $70 on lures at the fishing store yesterday, I sat down on the couch and watched football on TV while going through the tackle box and "setting up" my gear for next season. I tried tying those tandem hook rigs about 30 times and ended up with only two sets that "might" work. It was very frustrating. If any of you guys have any hints on how to do this, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

SilverBullets
10-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Goggle snell knots. I have found that not only wearing glasses, but the purchase of a magnifying lamp helped out alot! The snell knot is not bad once you get the hang of it. When I first started trying to tie my own rigs I got very frustrated also until I got the lamp and was actually able to see what I was doing. thumbsup

Full_Monte
10-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Silver Bullets...

Thanks for the tip. I've been tying knots for 48 years and know a few different ones. I also learned how to tie all kinds of knots while in the Navy, but this one had me baffled. I'll try again tonite.

Kokaholic
10-05-2008, 03:55 PM
One more thingto add to all of teh other tools that everyone has mentioned which all make it easier is a fly tying vise. I use my vise and it speeds things up dramatically. I would just find a cheap one some where that somebody might want to get rid of and use it. Sure helps me. What helps me the most is the magnifying glasses.

Full_Monte
10-06-2008, 03:45 AM
One more thingto add to all of teh other tools that everyone has mentioned which all make it easier is a fly tying vise. I use my vise and it speeds things up dramatically. I would just find a cheap one some where that somebody might want to get rid of and use it. Sure helps me. What helps me the most is the magnifying glasses.

Good idea! It happens, my Dad tied flies for many years and I'm sure there are a couple of those fly-tying vises in his fishing stuff.

I spent all evening doing kokanee rigs. Finally managed to get the knots to behave themselves. Next I need those magnifying glasses.

smokepoles
10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I have attached a very crude drawing or how I like to snell after trying several different variations. Easy to place hooks exactly, it is secure to loosening, and there is no exposed wrap of line over the snell to wear.

MackPrince
10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
That image is a great resource Smoke. Monte, keep on trying you'll get the hang of it. The trickiest part is learning the gap when tying tandem rigs so when you pull the knot tight the gap is consistent.

Petty4life
10-06-2008, 08:24 PM
http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/snell_fishing_knots.html
try this link

http://www.animatedknots.com/snell/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

smokepoles
10-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Mack,

There is no guessing with placement with the method I shared. Where you place it relative relative to the 'tail end' is where it ends up.

It is basically the same as the second site Petty shares, but I find it is easier for tying kokanee rigs because of the short front tag end. Petty's variation is the way to do it if snelling a single hook to end of long line directly from reel.

For mine, I hold hook and loops in place with left hand (right handed) and use right hand to turn the snelling wraps eye to bend. Hold wraps in place with left hand, then pull front tag end with right hand. Slide on second hook and repeat.

Easier done than said, but I hope you get the idea.

Full_Monte
10-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I have attached a very crude drawing or how I like to snell after trying several different variations. Easy to place hooks exactly, it is secure to loosening, and there is no exposed wrap of line over the snell to wear.

Hello Smokepoles...thanks for that! I'm wondering...do you put the end of the tag through the loop end before pulling on the main line? Seems like it needs to lock.

Full_Monte
10-06-2008, 10:28 PM
http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/snell_fishing_knots.html
try this link

http://www.animatedknots.com/snell/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Hi Petty,

That's really cool! Thanks for the link! These should be on the site link page.
It looks better than the snell knot I've been tying for a day and a half.

Digi-Troller
10-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Practice, practice, practice! It took me awhile to learn this knot too, but now I'm pretty good at it. My brother can tie circles around me, but I like to believe that mine are of better quality! Haha. Anways, keep at it because tying the double snelled hook is a great skill to have for kokes!

smokepoles
10-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Hello Smokepoles...thanks for that! I'm wondering...do you put the end of the tag through the loop end before pulling on the main line? Seems like it needs to lock.

You're welcome........don't worry or do anything with the tag end; it'll end up securely locked.

TonyTackle
12-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Goggle snell knots. I have found that not only wearing glasses, but the purchase of a magnifying lamp helped out alot! The snell knot is not bad once you get the hang of it. When I first started trying to tie my own rigs I got very frustrated also until I got the lamp and was actually able to see what I was doing. thumbsup

I am interested in getting a magnification aid of some kind. Was thinking of a magnifying lamp, but then a friend recommended an Optivisor headband (totally handsfree).
I had read various magnifying lamp reviews here (http://magnifying-lamps.info) was set on the LED type, but now the Optivisor is on the radar.
What are your thoughts on these two types of magnifier?
Thanks
Tony

SuperD
12-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I think the visor presents some focus point issues as all our visions aren't the same. I think something mounted above your vise or work area would allow one to move head or hands the proper distance to get best clarity. However, my reading glasses and my halogen desk light is all I need to tie my leaders.

SilverBullets
12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I've got a desk mounted swing arm with a flouresent tube... works great. I've had to replace the tube bulb once in 10 years of useage. As far as the head lamp magnifier light goes i would think unless it has a flip up lens you'd be constantly having to remove it when your reaching for something across your work table.

Downrigger
12-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Youtube how to tie an egg loop.

trollmonkey
12-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm a uni-knot(duncan loop/egg loop) guy.It works in many applications and is great for snelling hooks ,but can get frustrating. In "Kokanee Obsession" Kent Cannon had a nice demo on tying the two hook rig using a different knot,I think Kokaneekid has a video on tying the same knot.

SuperD
12-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Slow at work? I'm getting caught up on my leader supply!

http://imageshack.us/a/img839/2555/njip.jpg

froggie
03-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Yeah, next trip to Fisherman's wharehouse to buy fishing line and we'll start tying our tandems for our upcoming summer trip to the Gorge. We wrap about 12 of them around a cut up noodle and bring them with us. Last year we had at least 4 full ones ready to go! We use the egg loop knot also.
Froggie

dragonfly
03-05-2014, 08:31 AM
here's the quick and easy way I use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QU0eExNRL4 also Art at kokanee creek tackle has these pre tied with a soft glow bead that I am using now that worked very well last year, and I am switching over to plus these are very reasonably priced http://www.shop.kokaneecreektacklecompany.com/Leader-with-Stinger-Bead-L-102.htm .dfly

eenakoK
03-05-2014, 01:14 PM
For what it is worth, this is the way I have started tying my hooks. I like the way that the wraps stay on and have no chance on unwrapping. Check it out if you would like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIK_XBRslrk

rainORsnow1
03-05-2014, 01:34 PM
I've always done it the way Dragonfly shows. Very easy and quick. Especially when tying fifty or so in a night.

With larger fish I'll just add two half hitches at the end of the knot process

SuperD
03-05-2014, 02:36 PM
I've always done it the way Dragonfly shows. Very easy and quick. Especially when tying fifty or so in a night.

With larger fish I'll just add two half hitches at the end of the knot process

Unless I'm just tying them wrong, that method seems to produce a loose knot.

dragonfly
03-05-2014, 03:17 PM
eenokok , I like and use that method with bigger hooks and for bigger fish but when you are boating 50 kokanee and changing out hooks and leaders when they start to get questionable this is a quick and easy if you don't have a bunch tied. plus I don't need my glasses to tie them. we have unintentionally caught large trout, macks and Chinook and never had any come undone so that has never been a worry. just another way to do it.dfly

rainORsnow1
03-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Believe it or not it sinches to the eye just fine, and even when I'm using 15lb with number 4 gamis. Never had any loosen or move for that matter.

SuperD
03-05-2014, 05:51 PM
I must be tying it wrong then. When I tie it as shown and push back on the leader, the coils loosen. I use eenakok's method with a little modification and have rock tight knots so I guess that's why there are so many ways to tie this knot.

eenakoK
03-05-2014, 06:39 PM
I varied it a little this last time. I have been using those Drop Shot/ Split shot hooks and I didn't like the way they came out when going back through the eye. This time around, I didn't put the line back through the eye and tested to see if it would be OK. I put the hook around a pole and pulled as hard as I could. The hook straightened out before the knot moved. I was satisfied with that. By doing this, I was able to get the hooks to go straight up and down. It makes it entertaining to see all the different ways to tie hooks. Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas..

callelk
06-08-2015, 08:58 AM
Unless I'm just tying them wrong, that method seems to produce a loose knot.

I have been using the "wire snell" (that is what I understand the knot is historically called) for 30+ years. Like the name says, it was originally used for attaching hooks to wire leader for toothy fish. I started using the knot for sails and the like in Baja and then on stripers in the delta. I have boated 30#+ fish with this knot using mono without any issues.

In fact I boated 4 Kok's over the weekend using 1 lure with hooks tied this way without loosing one. I use 12# fluorocarbon and must wet the line before cinching it down.

SuperDaveMT
06-09-2015, 04:26 PM
After watching, I didn't see how the version dragonfly posted would hold together, but I tried a couple and it seems to work just fine. I still prefer the kokanee kid version but ity's probably more a matter of what I know and have confidence in versus one being better than the other. I'd like to see a "knot wars" demo and see if one has a higher breaking strength than the other.

Lund troller
11-19-2015, 12:44 AM
I use egg loops when doing two hooks works really well for me and easy to do.I don't actually use the loops for any purpose but it actually keeps my hooks the way I want them to lay opposite each other or the same direction.

STLHDR
12-18-2015, 02:50 AM
I'm with Lund Troller, I tie hundreds of egg loop leaders for trolling during salmon fishing. Instead of 20# BBG I use 12# Maxima UG and size 2 & 4 Red Gamie octopus hooks and only wrap 4 times instead of 6. The Koke rigs are definitely harder to tie for me anymore with arthritis and yes I had to go from 150 up to 175 reading glasses but for Christmas I'm hoping that Santa will get me a Deluxe lighted magnifying setup for my bench!!!!

downriggeral
12-26-2015, 11:35 PM
I have always used the method enakoK showed. Works great and none have ever come loose. Use the same method for salmon tackle too. I have also gone to bigger hooks with great success when trolling.

SuperD
01-09-2017, 04:55 PM
It's that time of year again.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/dave_rce1/hooks_zpssnglorap.jpg

mrmike
01-09-2017, 08:36 PM
I just googled your knot came right up. I was always told a pictures worth a hundred words. I sure this might help.

Chetco
03-23-2017, 10:07 PM
I am interested in getting a magnification aid of some kind. Was thinking of a magnifying lamp, but then a friend recommended an Optivisor headband (totally handsfree).
I had read various magnifying lamp reviews here (http://magnifying-lamps.info) was set on the LED type, but now the Optivisor is on the radar.
What are your thoughts on these two types of magnifier?
Thanks
Tony
Be carful about focal length (eye to object)