PDA

View Full Version : Pin-bone question

kodiak1
04-29-2011, 09:54 PM
I have always smoked my kokanee whole (and with good results). However, I am thinking about fileting them and smoking them. Question: I am assuming you just leave the pinbones in. Is that right? I can't imaging pulling them, as I have to do with my salmon caught in saltwater. Do they disappear after smoking? Any feedback is appreciated, guys. Mike

Idahokanee
04-29-2011, 10:23 PM
I have always smoked my kokanee whole (and with good results). However, I am thinking about filleting them and smoking them. Question: I am assuming you just leave the pin-bones in. Is that right? I can't imaging pulling them, as I have to do with my salmon caught in saltwater. Do they disappear after smoking? Any feedback is appreciated, guys. Mike

Honestly, I haven't "smoked" any Kokanee yet, but I have smoked many other fish (steelhead, trout, etc). I have cooked Kokanee many other ways though, and my experience has been if the fish has any size to it (anything over 10"), the pin-bones will not just dissolve/or cook away. It is a bit time consuming when you have to remove the same amount of pin-bones out of a small 10" fish the same as a 36" fish. But, my personal experience has shown me, a little work before you cook is so much more pleasurable and tasty at the table. ......Removing pin-bones takes a little practice to be speedy at it, but eventually you'll be fast enough, it won't bother you so much. ....Hope this helps. ....I will try my best to post a "how to pin-bone removal" guide in the next several weeks (I've never seen a good one on You Tube yet, so maybe I need to get the camera out)101ok101

skookum9
04-29-2011, 10:58 PM
kodiak1,

I fillet everything I catch. It usually takes me about 1 minute per fish to fillet. On a good day I can get that down to maybe 50 seconds but that's about it. When filleting kokanee, I like to take the skins off because then I don't have to deal with all the scales. The actual skin removal takes me about 6 seconds per side but, before I can do this I must first split the two fillets at the belly and remove the belly fins. By the time all steps are made, I expect to be done with everything for each fish in about two minutes per fish. Not sure how this stacks up with your current way of cleaning fish but I find it to be pretty comparable with any other way I've seen. Timewise that is. I'm hoping that someday I will be able to talk somebody into videoing my fillet technique so that I may share it with others. It is a little different from the way I see others do it and, in my own opinion at least, a little better.

I have never had a problem with pin bones on a kokanee, but then again, I've never caught one much over 20" either. I would guess that about 20" is when you're going to start to notice the pin bones in them. I usually fry my kokes in veggie oil and corn meal and this way the bones definately are unnoticeable. I also love to eat them grilled over an open fire, and this way too the bones are no problem. I have only occassionally had them smoked since I usually manage to eat them too fast for such an opportunity but, the pin bones were no problem then either.

I can only speak from my own experience but, if you do a good job with the filleting, you should have no problem with pin bones on kokanee at least up into the 16" to 18" range and probably not until they get over 20". I'm pretty fussy about my fish and have an even fussier family to provide for, they too have all given their approval of not worrying about the pin bones. The best thing I can say is give it a try and see what happens with that first batch. You will learn with experience what to look for in the size of bones that you will need to worry about. Trout and kokanee have fairly light bones up to the 20" mark and you should be safe to there. But you can always rely on the way they used to do it, always eat bread with your fish so it can chase the rare stray bone down as a "just-in-case" back-up plan.

Excaliber
04-29-2011, 11:38 PM
On the smaller Kokes the pin bones just dissapear when you smoke them. You can feel them in the fillets when they go into the smoker but they just seem to vanish. I like to smoke mine a bit longer than most people but that's what I've found.

On the bigger Kokes up to 19" the pin bones seem to be a whole different ball game. They can be pretty big. I use a tweezer to pull them as they will not melt like the smaller ones. I hate bones in my Smoked Candy and these techniques work for me. Others mileage may vary.

kodiak1
04-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the info. Guess I will have to get the needlenose out for the bigger L.P. kokes. I have tried a variety of techniques on pinbones, but found that a very small needlenose works best for me. I always rinse it off in a bowl full of water between bones because I find that the slime and meat on the pliers make it much more difficult. With the big salmon I catch in the ocean, I used to remove all the pinbones before smoking, but now I cut the rear portion off where the pinbones end, and cut the remaining piece lengthwise on either side of the pinbone line. Sure save time. Mike

Mojo
05-01-2011, 11:58 AM
On my Bradley smoker the bones get so soft they not noticeable when the fish are done smoking. It is a wet smoker, and I truly think that makes a huge difference. On the Big Chief I used to cook with, the bones were a nuisance.

Aluma165
05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Mike: I fillet the ones that I freeze for the winter months but whole smoke the ones that I'm going to eat over the following couple of weeks. Smoked whole kokes (at least for me) don't keep well frozen. If they are filleted I don't notice any degradation over several months.
I think the variable is the amount of oil remaining in the whole fish once its smoked. How long it's smoked for also makes a difference. Drier fish keep better in my experience so I fillet freezer fish and smoke them for a longer period. I don't notice the pin bones on the filleted kokes. I do cut the rib area out after filleting the slabs.
Been out twice this year with decent results. How are you doing?

kodiak1
05-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey Burt,
Good to hear from you. Thanks for the info. I really like the whole fish smoked, but you are right; they are pretty soggy when frozen for a while. However, they are great once you get the skin off and debone them. They work best when we make smoked salmon chowder. A milder flavor. We have only been out once with mixed results. I am taking my boat in this coming week to have a Trollmaster digital throttle control. I am getting tired--actually it is Kali who it tired--of having to run back to the rear of the boat every 5 minutes when the wind shifts or we change directions. It is particularly a problem when we are in the salt and the boat is getting tossed in every direction. Once we get that installed, we are ready to get serious with the kokes--and maybe C.J. as well. Definitely heading over to Magic with the first good rumor! Keep in touch, and let me know how you are doing on either site. Tight lines, Burt. Mike

koko71
05-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Excaliber what is the recipe you use for your smoked kokanee? I am also new to kokanee fishing and bought a trager pellet smoker a while back but havn't been able to find a brine I like. Tight lines, james

gonefishing
05-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Look at the recipe Forum. You will find lots of recipes including Brines etc.

Excaliber
05-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Excaliber what is the recipe you use for your smoked kokanee? I am also new to kokanee fishing and bought a trager pellet smoker a while back but havn't been able to find a brine I like. Tight lines, james
I'll have to get back to you on that one. My Wife makes the brine I just smoke. Check here and online though as I've seen several brines I'd like to try.
I think wood choice is almost more importanat than the brine as I also do a dry rub and it turns out really good. Try experimenting with Hickory and Cherry chips mixed instead of the old standbys.
You'll be surprised at the results.

BlueBack79
05-15-2011, 06:47 PM
another good and cheap tool for prepping your kokes, is a hard bristle dish brush. these work awesome for scaling your fish. a couple strokes on each side and they are done.

spoons
05-16-2011, 04:50 PM
I filet them all whether I'm smoking or frying. I usually don't mess with the pin bones unless I'm feeling really bored. Even then, I don't spend the time with the tweezers.
In a few seconds with sharp filet knife and a little practice you can make 2 slices following the angle of the bones and lose almost no meat.

kodiak1
05-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks to all of you for your valuable input. Mike