PDA

View Full Version : "headlights" for boats?

DLM
04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
I am an early riser when it comes to fishing and usually get the bottom of the boat wet well before the eastern sky starts to glow. But then I have to wait for the sun to give me some help so I can see where I am going, not to mention the occaisional hunk of 40' driftwood.

I am considering some type of lights to help me on my way just a little bit earlier, or to get off the lake when I stay out a little too late.

Can anyone give me some help or ideas here? Type of lights, where is the best mounting place, do spotlights work well? My boat is an alumaweld, no tower.

SuperD
04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
David, this is what I came up with last year.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5787/21676646.jpg

Not bad but I think the real secret is getting the light source above you. This light can be directionally controled and I think with a mast to mount it to, it would be a perfect solution.

SmokeOnTheWater
04-29-2011, 12:23 PM
"the occaisional hunk of 40' driftwood"

YIKES! tooexcited I don't think any available light source could save you here especially if you're up on plane? Most deadheads can be seen in the glow of early morning light but you're talking the black of darkness. Good Luck?

SuperD offers a solution but I've discovered that any reflection in front of me makes the background even darker. I keep my dash lights and fish finder extremely dim for this reason. I would suggest mounting lights outside and just under the bow rail. My 2cents.

Bullitt
04-29-2011, 12:43 PM
[SIZE="4"] SuperD offers a solution but I've discovered that any reflection in front of me makes the background even darker. I keep my dash lights and fish finder extremely dim for this reason. I would suggest mounting lights outside and just under the bow rail. My 2cents.

I would agree. My last boat had remote "Go Lights" on the roof. I thought they'ed be great if I just pointed them at an up angle and off to the side to illuminate the river bank. They were worthless imo. My current boat has none.

I have run rivers in the dark a lot during springer season and I'm way more comfortable going with just nav lights and whatever ambient light there is. I know the river very well. I've also been out in the ocean well before daylight and I just go slow until I can see. Getting an early start is important to me as well but it's not worth the risk.

I could be wrong but I believe according to the regs...these are considered "docking lights" and cannot be used for navigation. Check the regs to verify. 2cents

MackPrince
05-04-2011, 01:16 AM
I've known a few who have go lights mounted near the base of the windshield to help when we are out night fishing and docking in the dark. They are spendy, but keep both hands free and let you sit and look through the windshield.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be running a wake, but just trying to get some extra time out without worrying about punching a hole in your boat.

Mav186
05-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Good question...as it does not happen all that often for me. But when extra lighting is required, I have a hand held spot light, go comfortably slow and learned to get warm and fuzzy using my electronic navigation system.