PDA

View Full Version : Easter Weekend Wallowa Lake

Metal Manipulator
04-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Just finished up the trip to Joseph to see my new Grandson who is now 14 weeks old.

Of course I had to drag the boat up to fish the lake. We started on Wednesday night and got 4 hrs of fishing in. Started off jigging with out any success using corn and shrimp scent. Thursday we stopped off at the Sports Corral in Joseph for a little Q&A. They set us up with heavier jigs, 1.5 oz Kokanators in both pink and white and Orange and white. We gave it the old colledge try and only managed to catch one Kokanee but it was 20 in.
Friday I took my daughter and son in law. I decided to try a little different tactic. I took the trebbles off and added a 12" leader and a 1/32oz jig head with a glow grub. We then added a live maggot and a piece of corn with shrimp scent that we purchased fro the Sprots Corral. We got there about 10:30 and started getting some bites right away. We ended up getting 7 fish for 4 hrs of fishing. Since the kids were going to return to Glendive Montana ( a 20hr travel) we had Easter on Saturday. Sunday, my Wife, son and I were on the lake at 8:30 and started at 100 ft depth which is where we saw fish on the sonar. We started catching fish right a way. The action we gave the jigs was little to non existant. This is what the fish wanted. The wind was hard and steady and with out the TR1 we would not have caught even half as many fish that we did. The suttle motion and slight drift is what was triggering the bite which was so light that you could not even feel it. You had to watch the tip of the rod as it would move from 1/2 to 1" and you would set the hook. We ended up with 23 fish. 15 which is our limit over 12" and 8 that were under 12".

We ended up with 31 fish for the trip with one at 20", 19", 18". The weather was cold and the wind brutal with a water temp of 38 deg. F.. On friday there were about 10 boats in the area and I only saw one fish boated so I think we did realy well since it was our first time on the lake fishing for Kokanee. We have a ranch just outside of Joseph which is were we stayed. I grew up a fly fisherman so I realy never spent any time chasing the kokes at Wallowa lake

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=193&pictureid=1535

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=193&pictureid=1534

Kokaneegal
04-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Nice fish. Hope we can be as lucky as you were. We are going in two weeks. Was there snow on the ground yet?

Metal Manipulator
04-26-2011, 10:20 AM
The snow was gone. At Wallowa Lake you could get snow in july so it could snow at any time. The wind is what makes fishing hard especially when you are jigging. Up at the south end the wind seems to change direction constantly and when you are on anchor you will swing alot making it hard to fish. Anchoring in 100ft or more of water is a chalange with a 20ft boat with the top up.

Metal Manipulator
04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
On another note.

The fish had only corn in their stomacs and so it seems that they are not feeding much yet. The fish are staying schooled up which means that you can at least stay on the fish.

southside
04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the great report and pics!

Good job doing the local recon on finding out how to get into some biting fish.

Peace,Tom

Metal Manipulator
04-26-2011, 11:28 PM
I just finished eating the best fish I have ever tasted in my life. I have to say that Wallowa lake produces the best eating Kokanee Bar none.

kokanee kombine
04-27-2011, 11:50 PM
thanks for the pm,we bbq kokes at least once or twice a week and share with family.best tasting fish period.glad to hear you had success.we are going sunday,try some trolling if not= jig.