PDA

View Full Version : can anyone give me advice on fishing cascade for coho salmon

koko71
04-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Can anyone give me advice on catching coho at cascade? When does the season start up there for coho?

metalheadgene
04-25-2011, 01:12 PM
I cant state for sure "when it begins". I have never really targted them exclusively but pick them up while trolling for trout. All your standard pop gear will work, with weddings rings and I have also has success using dodgers with hoochies.

Once you catch one, stick with the same depth. As a side note...we aslo caught a couple one day while jigging.

gonefishing
04-25-2011, 02:01 PM
I would be interested in Knowing what Size these Coho's are running, if anyone has caught any at cascade Lake!

kodiak1
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM
As was pointed out already, very few--if anyone--target them. On the other hand, my wife and I have regularly targeted the kokanee. For them, the typical koke gear, pop gear with a wedding ring and shoepeg works well. The kokanee run big in there. We have always done best for coho off of Crown Point. Good luck, and let us know if you find 'em. Mike

metalheadgene
04-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Kodiak...I'm intriuged with the Kokanee in Cascade. I recall you mentioning this last year and I went looking for them. Only managed to catch one which was around 12" but its coll knowing they are in there.

koko71
04-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info Kodiak1 and metalheadgene. I'm going to try my new cannon intellitroll system if I go up there and find that fifty four degree water. One last question do you usually catch coho trolling faster as you would trout or do they hit at trolling speeds for kokanee? I read in an article coho like trolling speeds 2.0-2.5 MPH. However, it was on the coast in salt water which could be different than fresh water. I'll have fun either way and let you know if I catch any coho or a large kokanee.

kodiak1
04-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Like I said, we haven't targeted the kokes up there for several years. We found them on the west side across from the city ramp, in 30-50 feet of water. I think I mentioned in a previous post last year that when we were checked one day by F & G they laughed when I told them we limited on kokanee, and said they would show us the difference between coho and kokes. They came over, mentioned the teeth/no teeth thing, and then when they stuck their finger in the fishes mouth, were quite surprised. They had no idea there were good number of kokanee at that time. Today could be another question altogether. Numbers might be down, as well as size. These fish we were catching were the same size as the big guys at LP. The only certainty about Cascade that I have discovered over 50 years of fishing it, it that you have to rediscover it every year. Different locations, different numbers, and different lures. It always provides a challenge. Mike