PDA

View Full Version : Recycling?

SuperD
04-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Do you guys occassionally go through your stuff to cull or recycle? Last night I started an operation of going through about 300 of my previously tied spinners and hootchies and either culling or recycling for hooks and beads. I had countless dried up / stiff hootchies and spinners that never proved themselves. I've already got a nice pile of hooks ready to retie on new leader material.

MMDON
04-20-2011, 02:34 PM
I keep all my lures in plastic 2" x 3" ziplocks so for the most part they look like the day I purchased them. This prevents the hoochies from drying up as well. I do recycle the occasional lure that loses the bottom hook. Other than than I just have to keep buying or building more!!!!!!!!! thumbsup

SuperD
04-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Don, have you had any hootchies react with the baggie? I've had a couple disolve in the baggie and it wasn't a bead problem.

MMDON
04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
The only time I've seen them react is when storing hoochies that have been scented while fishing. Some of those will stiffen up after a while. As for new ones, they come in plastic bags so I don't know how a reaction would happen?

BorntoFish01
04-20-2011, 05:32 PM
I try to recycle as much as I can from damaged rigging...hooks, swivels, beads, etc. etc. Always try to remember to have a fair sized zip lock bag in my tackle box to store these til I get home. I've never had a problem with the hootchies stiffening or melting but would suspect scent lure as being the catalyst for such a reaction.

SilverBullets
04-20-2011, 05:40 PM
My recycle bin...thumbsup

SuperD
04-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Scent was the common denominator in all the meltdowns.

Bduck
04-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Scents are excellent catalysts as I found out with a couple of hoochies. I keep a smelly, stinky rag on board for wiping down lures, dodgers, etc. As much scent is in that rag I could take some of my recyclables and rig a rag lure with it. 101idea101 If nothing else it would be chum.

MMDON
04-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Most scents will go rancid if not refrigerated.

Rancid Hoochies, I've heard of those . . . tongue2

SuperD
04-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I just dipped a couple of my stiff hootchies in my Spike It dye and it softened them up a bit. The UV of the dye makes them look irresistable under the light too.

MMDON
04-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I'll have to try dipping some I usually throw away! Thanks for the tip!

DLM
04-21-2011, 11:12 AM
I made it a practice long ago never to put sent on the hoochie or lure, only on the corn/bait, ESPECIALLY if using gel!2cents

As far as hooks and hoocies, I replace both with new every winter.

SilverBullets
04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Since the leader is so short when using hoochies I just gel-scent the dodger. My issues with them has been the chemical reaction between the plastic beads and the skirt material...the beads melt into each other over time. I've even had this happen with them in their original non opened bags that were stored in a tackle box.

DLM
04-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Since the leader is so short when using hoochies I just gel-scent the dodger. My issues with them has been the chemical reaction between the plastic beads and the skirt material...the beads melt into each other over time. I've even had this happen with them in their original non opened bags that were stored in a tackle box.

Couple suggestions, when storing hoochies slide them up the line so they are not longer in contact wtih the bead, or, maybe use glass beads?

SilverBullets
04-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Couple suggestions, when storing hoochies slide them up the line so they are not longer in contact wtih the bead, or, maybe use glass beads?

I remove the plastic beads alltogether. I thought about glass but the weight concerned me. I either thread on brightly colored pom-poms (found at the crafts store) or use a rubber bobber stop with a few soft glow beads now...so far so good.