PDA

View Full Version : 2011 boat projects?

Petty4life
04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Anyone doing anything special to there boats to start the new kokanee season?

I'm putting on a new trolling motor 6hp yamaha 4stroke long shaft, new bilge pumps going to put in lighted switches and added another fishfinder that i can move fron the bow to the stern without messing with the one on the dash. also removed the storage compartment in the floor to make more storage. and finally found and fixed the short in my stereo speakers

SuperD
04-15-2011, 12:48 PM
I'd planned on doing a new travel cover and side curtains but have deferred them till finances improve. I also toyed with the idea of swapping my trailer lights out for LED's but added up all the parts I deferred that project too. I will have to just limp along this summer with what I've got.

Pogue
04-15-2011, 12:56 PM
I swapped out some lights on two trailers with LED's, and was not happy with them at all!! They only worked for about 2 months before they started going out. They are pretty expensive and didn't last long. I ended up replacing them with standard lights. 2cents

Propnut69
04-15-2011, 01:59 PM
I have two projects that are planned for sometime this summer. One .I'm replacing the carpet on the floor,with duralak sealer. While doing this I can remover the center piece of the floor,and put in a new bilge pump. Then sometime this summer I want to replace the motor on my remote troll,(it's almost 30 yrs old),and go remote and get away from the cord. All it takes is time and money.

sjones
04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
I inherited a 1959, 17 ft Crestliner. I was the last person to fish in it with my great uncle in 1985. It has sat ever since. Last year started digging in to it with cleaning it up and rebuilding a 1964 Evinrude 40 horse, (from parts). This year adding paint, downriggers, new top, seat covers, and thinking about putting in hard wood floors instead of Plywood. I rewired for new electronics through out. Just need to find the right FF. I do have 2 older Humminbirds. I also added 3 ft to the tongue of the trailer, new wire and lights, and working out new bunks at this time. I wanted to keep it vintage as I could with motor selection so as I said before there is a 1964, 40 horse and 1961, 5.5 horse kicker. I will get pic as soon as it quits raining.

Guy
04-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I turned my 16' Lund Alaskan AKA Duck boat into a fishing machine for late winter and early spring fishing by adding a Minn Kota Terrova i-Pilot a Lowrance HDS-7 fish finder a on board charger and 5 rod holders. Love that little boat all easily removable for duck hunting.

Mark McWillis
04-15-2011, 04:34 PM
I added radar and a weed removing grate. Those are both for Tuna, not so much Kokes.

eenakoK
04-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I plan to take the back to back seats out and replace them with two pedestal seats. This will open my little boat up a lot more.

gonefishing
04-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I added rocket launchers, a trolling motor lift, a new CB radio and antena in addition to my VHF. Fixing small leaks in my windows. Took out my alcohol stove and put in a large cutting board over the hole. I like my Butane stove better. 2 new fish-on rod holders. I will finish with a new shower and deck wash down system. I added decals and decorations. I have down rigger maintenace do do this weekend. Then done!

Time to fish, and the boat should be set for 5-7 years. I am looking forward to getting out and just going fishing.tongue2

Metal Manipulator
04-15-2011, 09:37 PM
I added a fishing tower with 8 rod holders across the top and two on each side down near the gunnel for nets and clearing rods. The transom is now modified and will have storage areas that will hold 24 Plano 3700 series boxes. On top of the transom modification are two hot hand sinks which the wife likes. Pn the front side there are holders for scissors, pliers, knife and fish waker. Now for the item that is going to take the pressure off of me when trolling and allow more control of the chinease fire drills, TR1 is now installed and calibrated. I think I have made my Ultimate fishing boat.

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=186&pictureid=1472

gonefishing
04-15-2011, 11:46 PM
You storage is fantastic. The best I have ever seen in a fishing boat.

MackPrince
04-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Over the past few years I've been putzin at refurbishing my '61 Sea Nymph. The big project this spring will be putting my new orbital buffer to work to restore the aluminum shine. I have what I need, now just need time. Who knows I may even put a new coat of paint on the floor while I'm at it.

Wow, MM. Nice work.worthy12

Metal Manipulator
04-16-2011, 07:46 AM
That's one thing about not having a nice looking newer boat I'm not afraid to cut and hack.

Wacenturion
04-16-2011, 12:54 PM
In the process of installing new electronics on the boat. Putting a 1157c Humminbird (10.5 " screen) at the helm and a 798c si (side imaging) at the kicker along with Interlink, WeatherWise, and specific cables to connect them both for sharing GPS and way points.

Hopefully I'll finish it this weekend and be able to start fishing kokanee in American Lake next week.

Metal Manipulator
04-16-2011, 09:31 PM
That sound like a great unit. Let us know how well it functions on the water.

skookum9
04-17-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm in the process of trying to make ready my little fly fishing pontoon into a kokanee chasing boat. There are many challenges in this but I just love the idea of having a little one man fish killing machine. Not sure how well it will pay off when the weather is still a little cold but I'll have to learn if I'm still man enough to take such adventures. Anybody out there ever considered doing anything like that?

Metal Manipulator
04-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Yea I have Skookum, but it quickly faded.

fishinfrenzy
04-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Sold our old Bayliner and bought a Maxum to use for awhile. More space for fishing with larger deck and set up with four downriggers. Just got the outside all cleaned up and working on the inside deck area figuring out where to store everything. I really like your storage Metal Manipulator. Hope to have everything ready for next weekend, can't wait to feel that tug and fighting again.

autorick
04-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I had 10 rocket launchers built, added planer boards and reels, more cup holders, downrigger brackets, and I am now working on a rail mount fillet/butcher top, rail mounted Bar B quer, a rack to hold my pretied riggings that mounts onto the rails. i also need to replace the headliner. I am almost there!

skookum9
04-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Metal Manipulator, was it just too cold fishing from such a craft for you or did you prefer having a boat that you could take others out on? What sort of things killed off your ideas for such a concept? I would like to know what sort of trouble you ran into to help me try and avoid it. Thanks.

Metal Manipulator
04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Age has most to do with it. Most of my years fishing I fished by myself. My main style of fishing was fly fishing. During those years one of my favorite things to do was take my pontoon boat down the Nestuca river during the summer catching cutthroats. Loads of fun. I spent many hours chasing steelhead with the fly a very nice solitary way of spending the day.

SilverBullets
04-18-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm in the process of trying to make ready my little fly fishing pontoon into a kokanee chasing boat. There are many challenges in this but I just love the idea of having a little one man fish killing machine. Not sure how well it will pay off when the weather is still a little cold but I'll have to learn if I'm still man enough to take such adventures. Anybody out there ever considered doing anything like that?

I take mine out for kokes once in a while. I've got it rigged up with a Optima blue top battery, fishfinder, electric motor, a couple Scotty rod holders and a homemade anchor/downrigger system. It's got around 100 feet of small diameter rope on a spool that's rigged up with a handle. When stationary jigging I attach a 10lb anchor and for trolling I attach a 6lb ball. When useing it as a downrigger I mount it to a oar lock and put few loops in the rope to tie off for my target depths. When it's used as an anchor it mounts to a rod holder bracket on the back rail. Here's a picture of the toon...I also made a way to wheel it down to the lake once it's fully loaded up.
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=132&pictureid=1520

mrmike
04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
well Mr Metal Maniputor you have more storage in your boat then we have in are kitchen mrmike

Koke-n-a-smile
04-18-2011, 11:05 PM
While not on par with the Metal Manipulator, I installed a second manual DR, and a new Humminbird FF with GPS.

skookum9
04-19-2011, 03:32 AM
Metal Manipulator,
It sounds like there's a lot I'd like to learn from you. I haven't fished the Nestuc since all the big road washouts. I'd love to learn to entice a few steelies to a fly but I think I need to stick with smaller waters to do that. That river has a lot of flow to be able to read it well enough to place a fly where it should be. My respect and admiration for your ability to do so. If you ever feel interested in teaching some of what you know to someone like me, please let me know, I'd be very interested in learning.

SilverBullets,
Sounds like you've set your 'toon up for some good times. I love the idea of the control that you gain with an electric motor but between the weight and the longetivity, I've chosen to stay with a gas motor. I really like my 4hp motor but I've also got it ready to go with the 9.5 in the event of taking it on bigger waters. When and where do you take yours for koke's? It would be a lot of fun to catch up to you someday on the same water. I'm hoping to try Wickiup with it this year. I probably can't make the opener this weekend but I am hoping maybe the next weekend will have opportunities for me. Plan on using the Whaler to hit Odell on the 14th and 15th. Maybe I'll see you out on one of those waters this spring. Was worried that a kidney stone was going to stop me but just had it surgically removed tonight and so I'm back on track to having some really good times. If you're gonna be at one of those lakes and you see me, be sure and say howdy.

Pogue
04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm still trying to turn my 1964 16' Aristocraft "funliner" into a Defiance Admiral 220EX!

Metal Manipulator
04-19-2011, 01:27 PM
You are going to have to post pics for to have any idea what your are working on. Can't wait to see.

Pogue
04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
You are going to have to post pics for to have any idea what your are working on. Can't wait to see.

There would be lots of cutting going on

Pogue
04-19-2011, 02:21 PM
From this..... to that!

Metal Manipulator
04-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Wow that is right. Could probably build one from scratch faster. Eo you have a mold for the deck and cabin?

SuperD
04-19-2011, 03:20 PM
MM, he was being sarcastic about the project. Making an old, small boat into a bigger & newer boat. I'm sure he purchased a boat stretcher too. ;-)

Pogue
04-19-2011, 11:26 PM
MM - based on what I can tell from the pics of what you've done to your ride, if this could be done, you'd probably be the only one who could do it!

Full_Monte
04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
I swapped out some lights on two trailers with LED's, and was not happy with them at all!! They only worked for about 2 months before they started going out. They are pretty expensive and didn't last long. I ended up replacing them with standard lights. 2cents

Pogue,

What brand LED tail-lights were you installing? I just put on Optronics, thinking they would last forever. Haven't tried them out yet.

Full_Monte
04-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Refitting a new-to-me boat. New batteries, onboard battery charger, two engines serviced. New wheels and tires, will add 2 downriggers for a total of four, drained all old gas in tank. Installed new finder/gps. Windshield wiper...didn't come with one. Wireless remote for Minn Kota..didn't have one.
Locks on all wheels, tongue, engines. I'm sure I forgot half of it.

Pogue
04-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Pogue,

What brand LED tail-lights were you installing? I just put on Optronics, thinking they would last forever. Haven't tried them out yet.

F_M,

I thought those would work forever also, maybe I just got some duds (2 sets?) I'm not 100%, but I THINK they were Grote ind.??? I only came to this conclusion by lookin online at pics of LED light kits. The ones I had were round. I see the Optronics are rectangular. Good luck with them! I do see alot of trailers with them its just my luck I guess.

Rob

skookum9
04-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Looks like I might get the chance to try out my new modifications this weekend at Wickiup. Grandkids not coming over so I'm taking my Bible with me to the water to have a special Easter experience this year. Happy Easter to you all!

skookum9
04-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Okay, minor setback. Looks like my new project won't be hitting the water this weekend. But at least I'm still going to take the Whaler out anyway. Just not enough time to work all of the last minute bugs out of my pontoon system. Next time I should be ready to try it out. Maybe we'll see a couple of you die-hards out there on the water.

Full_Monte
04-23-2011, 12:20 AM
F_M,

I thought those would work forever also, maybe I just got some duds (2 sets?) I'm not 100%, but I THINK they were Grote ind.??? I only came to this conclusion by lookin online at pics of LED light kits. The ones I had were round. I see the Optronics are rectangular. Good luck with them! I do see alot of trailers with them its just my luck I guess.

Rob

Interesting...I thought Grote was one of the better and most expensive brands.

lowe1648mt
04-25-2011, 06:11 PM
F_M,

Rob

I found a few dud led lights over the years. About 1/2 were related to too tight mounting bolts. The other half were split between poor sealed construction, and bad wiring conections( butt connecters, scotch locks, or bad ground).
too tight mounting bolts crack the case on the back.they usually work until they hit the water.

BROWNBAGGER
04-28-2011, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=sjones;27648]I inherited a 1959, 17 ft Crestliner. I was the last person to fish in it with my great uncle in 1985. It has sat ever since. Last year started digging in to it with cleaning it up and rebuilding a 1964 Evinrude 40 horse, (from parts). This year adding paint, downriggers, new top, seat covers, and thinking about putting in hard wood floors instead of Plywood. I rewired for new electronics through out. Just need to find the right FF. I do have 2 older Humminbirds. I also added 3 ft to the tongue of the trailer, new wire and lights, and working out new bunks at this time. I wanted to keep it vintage as I could with motor selection so as I said before there is a 1964, 40 horse and 1961, 5.5 horse kicker. I will get pic as soon as it quits raining.[/QUOTE

Do you have pics of your boat, I would like to see. My first boat was a 1957 fleetliner that my grandpa bought in oregon. I wish I still had it to restore. One day someone was helping my mom move stuff in the back yard and they commented on that cool boat, AND SHE GAVE IT TO THEM. Oh well. the motor was something else too. It was a 70hp merc outboard that was direct drive. Meaning I had to stop it and restart it in reverse to back up. I started my first kokanee fishing on that old boat long lining it, then mounted my first homemade down riggers. It had those old school bows that was almost straight up and down and had a deep curl. It had a hard top with a spash windshield on top of that and long oval windows...we doubt it the SS Minnow.

sjones
04-28-2011, 07:44 PM
This is my work in progress.

trollin olin
04-29-2011, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=sjones;27648]I inherited a 1959, 17 ft Crestliner. I was the last person to fish in it with my great uncle in 1985. It has sat ever since. Last year started digging in to it with cleaning it up and rebuilding a 1964 Evinrude 40 horse, (from parts). This year adding paint, downriggers, new top, seat covers, and thinking about putting in hard wood floors instead of Plywood. I rewired for new electronics through out. Just need to find the right FF. I do have 2 older Humminbirds. I also added 3 ft to the tongue of the trailer, new wire and lights, and working out new bunks at this time. I wanted to keep it vintage as I could with motor selection so as I said before there is a 1964, 40 horse and 1961, 5.5 horse kicker. I will get pic as soon as it quits raining.[/QUOTE

Do you have pics of your boat, I would like to see. My first boat was a 1957 fleetliner that my grandpa bought in oregon. I wish I still had it to restore. One day someone was helping my mom move stuff in the back yard and they commented on that cool boat, AND SHE GAVE IT TO THEM. Oh well. the motor was something else too. It was a 70hp merc outboard that was direct drive. Meaning I had to stop it and restart it in reverse to back up. I started my first kokanee fishing on that old boat long lining it, then mounted my first homemade down riggers. It had those old school bows that was almost straight up and down and had a deep curl. It had a hard top with a spash windshield on top of that and long oval windows...we doubt it the SS Minnow.I had an old homemade bass boat years ago with a 60HP Direct Drive Merc, you get good with that shifter after a while. I had a buddy of mine have to rope start that beast once, he almost went skiing behind us.laugh hyst

SuperD
05-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I got jealous of all your projects so I dipped into my tackle cabinet and sold some stuff this weekend so I could afford to do a little someth'n someth'n to my boat. I bought another downrigger to go directly out the back down the center past the main motor.

Metal Manipulator
05-02-2011, 07:37 PM
I have been thinking about more down riggers but I am a little leary of adding lines within such close proximity.

SuperD
05-02-2011, 11:25 PM
I have been thinking about more down riggers but I am a little leary of adding lines within such close proximity.
I'm gambling that with Koke fishing and the ability to use very short set backs that staggering depths a bit will keep me out of too much trouble. And I don't think the lines will be as close as those that stack on one rigger.

wagonmaster
05-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Bought a magna bbq off craiglist, works great. added 3 rod holders and a leader holder.