PDA

View Full Version : New Rod & Reel

SeaDog
04-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Hi!

Well yesterday FedX delivered my new Lamiglas (MBS702UL) Kokanee spinning rod.
Cost me $63.00 total.
Fitted my Acadia Sport ES-25 spinning reel (7 BB) to it.
Nice ultra-light rod with great action and with reel has nice balance to it.
Have to spool on some 4 lb. test FireLine (original).
Looking forward to using it this Saturday (Opening Day) here in Ct. thumbsup

SeaDog

Metal Manipulator
04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Congradulation it sounds like a good set up for Koke's.

Petty4life
04-13-2011, 06:20 PM
very nicethumbsup

SeaDog
04-14-2011, 05:40 AM
Hi!

So sad!
Acadia Sports has decided to go out of buisness after 6 years.
It's where I got my (7BB) ES-25 UL reel.
Lots of discounts on remaining inventory!
Plus rods -> Buy 1 get one free!

Go to -> www.acadiasports.com

SeaDog

SuperD
04-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Do you koke fish with a spinning rod & reel?

SeaDog
04-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Do you koke fish with a spinning rod & reel?

YES! Here in Ct. we mostly night fish at anchor (fore & aft) in 40-48 ft. of water with light over the side and jig for the Kokes.

I find that the fish have more fight in them because they don't have to chase the lure as in trolling, expending their energy. All of it goes into the fight! signfishin

SeaDog

Trout Tracker
04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
While Sea Dog prefers to night fish for his kokes there a lot of us up here that like to troll for them. I have an extra pair of Garcia 5500 C3 reels that I'm going to pair with a couple of 7' spinmatics for trolling. I've been using the Eagle Claw 6' ultra lites with the Mitchel 308 reels. Not very rugged poles. We use a lot of the same tactics trolling as out west or down south, just not as deep. Beads, dodgers, squids, flies, we tads, salmon killers, etc. I'll wait a few more weeks as the water is still on the cold side plus the striper run will begin shortly in the Ct. river. Got to get them while you can as you can catch the kokes about anytime. Sea Dog you have to give E. Twin a try as the 16-20" kokes there are tons of fun. Hopefully this season will produce some more of them. It's great to see them come back after all these years up there.

skookum9
04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
While I love fishing with a nice casting reel, just love my shimano curado, I can certainly see the value of a spinning reel in low light conditions. I use both myself because of my jig fishing. Sometimes my jigs are just too light to be delivered far enough with my casting rig. I would like to ask you, SeaDog, if you've ever tried jigging for your koke's during the day? I'm not from that part of the world so I can only assume what I would do. Over here, I love to use jigs but I use them right in the middle of the day. Of course, because I love to surface jig, I tend to do my best in the first and last few hours of daylight. But I have also done well right in the middle of the day early in the season.

Night fishing is illegal here in Oregon, plus I prefer being able to see what I'm doing and feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin. But you are certainly right about how much more fight the fish have in them when you don't have a ton of tackle ahead of them. And the lighter the jig, the better the fight.

Good luck out there and happy fishing.

Trout Tracker
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
skookum9, are there any places close to Eugene for koke fishing? My daughter lives out there.

skookum9
04-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Yes, a lot of the people from around here fish Green Peter, it's a popular lake. I've not fished it but it's not far from Eugene. The lake I do a lot of my koke fishing at is called Odell. It's about a 75 mile drive east of Eugene. But if I lived that close to it, I would hit it a lot more than I do. I think there's even some kokanee fishing in Dexter and Lookout Point and they are very close to Eugene. But I'm not too sure about those lakes and what all they have in them. I think I've seen a couple of reports here on this forum from those who fish those lakes but I've not heard anything really exciting about them. I'll bet there is someone on this forum who will have a better answer for you than I do and can tell you about these lakes.

There is certainly some really good fishing around Eugene, though not always for kokanee. And like I said, if I lived a little closer to it, I'd waste a lot of gas making trips to Odell, Wickiup, Crescent and Crane Prarie, all of which hold kokes, though not all in equal amounts. Odell fish tend to run a little small but you're allowed 25 of them per day and usually, in the spring, they are quite easy to catch a limit. I'll bet she'd have a great time on that lake. But tell her to try fishing up near the Shelter Cove area just so she can keep out of the wind better, that lake can get quite nasty. Even though it's a larger lake, a smallish boat can work but you have to pay close attention to the weather and wind or you can get in a lot of trouble in a hurry. Hence why I suggest staying near the Shelter Cove area. I'm headed to Odell myself in just a few weeks. Hopefully the 14th and 15th.

Trout Tracker
04-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the great info. I'll have to check out the maps and locate these lakes. Might have to plan a trip in the near future. Thanks again, Hank.

SeaDog
04-19-2011, 03:42 PM
While I love fishing with a nice casting reel, just love my shimano curado, I can certainly see the value of a spinning reel in low light conditions. I use both myself because of my jig fishing. Sometimes my jigs are just too light to be delivered far enough with my casting rig. I would like to ask you, SeaDog, if you've ever tried jigging for your koke's during the day? I'm not from that part of the world so I can only assume what I would do. Over here, I love to use jigs but I use them right in the middle of the day. Of course, because I love to surface jig, I tend to do my best in the first and last few hours of daylight. But I have also done well right in the middle of the day early in the season.

Night fishing is illegal here in Oregon, plus I prefer being able to see what I'm doing and feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin. But you are certainly right about how much more fight the fish have in them when you don't have a ton of tackle ahead of them. And the lighter the jig, the better the fight.

Good luck out there and happy fishing.

Hi!

Yes! I jig for the Kokes during the day -> Time of day doesn't seem to matter much.
At night though, under lights which attract the plankton, they congregate more and it's much more pleasant fishing on a hot summer night!
Cold drinks, snacks, and listen to a ball game!

SeaDog