PDA

View Full Version : New member, looking for advice

Kokanut
04-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi, my name is Bob and live near Monmouth Or. I like what I see in the forum already and haven't been here very long. I'm pretty new to Kokanee fishing. Just started fishing at Green Peter last spring and went 8-10 times before getting too busy on the farm. I did OK, but there was quite of bit of trial and error before I started figuring it out. I don't have downriggers on my boat and am thinking about getting some. I've never fished with them, so I don't know what to look for, how to use them or if I really need them. I have a 17 1/2 ft. Jetcraft with an outboard and a 8 hp honda kicker. I would really like some good advice on downriggers and some general tips as well. Also about using this forum.
Thanks in advance
Bob

SilverBullets
04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Welcome to KFF Bob! I'd recommend getting downriggers and a good quality fishfinder. The Scotty manuals are a great downrigger to get ya started. I've had them on the boat for around 7 years now and they've been trouble free. Get the 2 foot per crank model that can handle a 8lb ball. Once you catch a few with the downrigger you'll see how well they work... good luck and if you have any more questions just hollar.

Big Al
04-12-2011, 01:20 AM
If you can I would make sure u get the ones with the big booms. Some day u might want to get four and u will need the longer booms.

SuperD
04-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Kokanut, how were you getting your lures to depth last year? A couple of electric, long boom downriggers will change your fishing life! How deep are the mid summer Kokes in Green Peter? I'll temporarily disagree with SilverBullets about starting with manuals. It is money spent you'll never get back. If you start with the best you'll have no regrets.

SmokeOnTheWater
04-12-2011, 10:40 PM
101welcomw Kokanut

Enjoy the sport within your means! $$

I started koke fishing with one Cannon manual, then three, then two electric Scottys, then sold my two manuals. I like to chase lake trout in the fall so cranking 10 lb weights manually from 100' gets OLD, REALLY QUICK!

Be careful though, you begin talking extra batteries and possibly onboard chargers and wiring. You begin to see the $ rack up. If your plan is to take kokanee fishing serious, then electric is the way to go. Kokanee do go deeper in mid summer warmer water temps, sometimes as deep as 60' - 70'. Just hope you got arms like Popeye. If not, you will by the end of the summer with manuals. laugh hyst

Kokanut
04-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. SuperD you ask how I was doing it last year at Green Peter. I mostly fished the early season last year when the water was cooler and used bannana weights and just guessed how deep I was going. I'm not sure how deep they go later on, but I was catching them at around 30 feet I think. Even then my fish finder would show fish down to 200 ft. I'm not sure if that's right or not or if it is picking up something else.
I'm inclined to buy electric downriggers right from the get go. I want to get good ones and not be sorry later. I can find good and bad reviews on most of them so I'm still reading all I can about different makes and models, so I appreciate any input here about what features are most important.

Bduck
04-13-2011, 12:42 AM
101welcomw Bob 101welcomw

Premature releases can kick your a$$ if your rigger release is not set correctly or using the wrong one with manuels. I too, started out using manuels but eventually went to electrics. When you start adding to your fishing equipment, and this is a wide expansion just to fish, you'll see what the fever is all about. Once the accumulation of toys takes shape, now its time to look at upgrading the boat. Only in due time. 4moremney

SuperD
04-13-2011, 10:30 AM
If you plan on stacking rods on your downriggers, i.e. fishing 4 rods on 2 downriggers, I believe Scotty downriggers would be my suggestion. They can be set up to auto stop at the first clip where the standard Cannons won't. That and the Scottys are generally less expensive.

Kokanut
04-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Has anyone used Walker downriggers? I've read a bunch of good reviews on the Walker Kokanee downrigger. Only $375 at Cabela's and besides I like the name.

SuperD
04-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Bduck, Roger, from post above has 2 and they work real nice. I don't know how they stack however.

Kokanut
04-13-2011, 02:55 PM
The Walker tournament combo pak has dual rod holders, 4-ft arm, swivel base, and deck plate for around $455. It isn't clear to me if the Kokanee has the swivel base and deck plate. I'm going to keep reading a little, but It sounds good.

skookum9
04-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Kokanut, I see you're from Monmouth and you mentioned that you farm. Based on this, and the fact that you like fishing for koke's, I'm going to recommend that you visit with a friend of mine who is the FFA instructor down there in your neck of the woods. I'd be willing to bet that he could steer you in the right direction for some great kokanee fishing that won't even require a downrigger and can be a whole lot more fun, at times. If you are interested but don't know how to find him, let me know and I can get you introduced to him. He and I and another friend of ours got hooked on kokanee about 20 years ago and have been fine tuning it ever since. Good luck to you however and wherever you fish.

Bduck
04-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Has anyone used Walker downriggers? I've read a bunch of good reviews on the Walker Kokanee downrigger. Only $375 at Cabela's and besides I like the name.

I have 2 of the Tournament Series. I like them. Gone Fishing-Idaho mod also has a couple. A good downrigger, low profile vs the cannon angled upwards. I don't see any problem with the others. Just a matter of taste. The pricing is very reasonable for these electrics. They are guaranteed for lifetime but the only con I have is not enough service availability in the lower 48. But what service there is, is quick to respond. I have upgraded mine in the past. Went from a 2ft boom to a 4ft boom. Very easily to setup. thumbsup

Kokanut
04-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I am thinking I'm going to buy the Walker downriggers, so it was nice to hear from you Bduck that you are happy with yours.