PDA

View Full Version : Lake Cavanugh question

Wood2turn
04-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Is chumming legal on the lake? Fishing for Koke's...

Thanks,
Terry

saltyseadog
04-09-2011, 12:01 AM
look in the regs... yes

Wood2turn
04-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you for the reply...

I didn't have any regs. handy and this yrs. are not available yet...

Rusty Shackleford
04-10-2011, 02:01 AM
wood2turn if you don't mind sharing

What do you use for chum for kokanee?

lowe1648mt
04-10-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't. Those that do use corn. The fish can't digest corn so it kills some of them.

bob r
04-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Report I read from Idaho fish and game quite a few years ago said that corn does NOT kill salmonoid fish, an alternative is to crush eggshells into little bits and use them behind the boat, good luck! bob r

Smalma
04-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Please do not use corn in any kokanee (or other trout) chum.

Some items that have been successfully used for kokanee chum include chicken mash, cottage cheese, oatmeal, crushed egg shells, and the old reiable "feed eggs" EAch of the old timers I fished with seemed to have their own secret chum recipes though one or more the above items were usually included.

The old school kokanee still fishing with a light fly rod rigged with mono, and egg sinker and hook(s) baited with periwinkles (caddis fly larvae) and a red egg is a blast and seems to be a forgot art. I have also used small pieces of raw prawn as a bait with great success (maggot size pieces of prawn is not a bad bait for trolling either).

BTW -
The fsihing regulations can always be found on line via WDFW's web site - just go to fishing and click on seasons and regulations.

Tight lines
Curt

bob r
04-14-2011, 04:00 PM
If you google "trout mortality from corn" you will find multiple reports and studies that show that corn does NOT kill trout or salmon (Penn. study for one), they just don't grow as well on it. We should all try to verify info we are not sure about before posting, sending out mis-information does not do this forum justice.Now it may not be legal everywhere, but that is a diff. issue Jest sayin' Bob R

lowe1648mt
04-15-2011, 01:15 AM
I take no offense if I'm wrong and someone wants to correct me. As stated, I don't chum. My only source of info on chumming was on this site. Still don't plan on chumming, My wife would rather troll.

bob r
04-15-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't chum either, but my impression was that the old-timer I talked to years ago was that the eggshell deal worked for trolling as the slow descent of the small pieces combined with the depths of kokes in the summer worked for trolling as the eggs would reach the range of the fish by the time your gear caught up to it.The flash of the white egg pieces brings them into a feeding trip? Anyone out there familier with this technique? Bob R.

lowe1648mt
04-23-2011, 01:01 AM
I fished Lake Cavenaugh today. I launched at 9:30 a.m. I trolled on top, on the bottom, and all points between. I saw very few fish on the D.F. I did see a few on the surface. I trolled with everything but the kitchen sink. I used corn, pink maggots,salmon eggs and a wide assortment of scents.
I loaded up at 2:00 P.M. As another boat was launching, the owner said " the fish don't start biting 'til late afternoon." Porobably had to do with water temp. Temp was 44.5 when I arrived and 48 when I left.

saltyseadog
04-24-2011, 12:23 PM
thanks for the report 101chromefish101