PDA

View Full Version : Sending unit

nofish
03-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Well it is time for me to get some maintenance done on my boat. I have to replace the sending unit in my fuel tank. I went down to the shop and they tried to sell me a cheesy one size fits all. Has anyone ever used one? If so are they worth having?

AFDan52
03-26-2011, 10:31 PM
if it was me , I'd get the one that is supposed to be in there. if it costs a little more it's worth the cost. Don't take chances when it comes to your fuel system. Just my 2 cents.

SuperD
03-26-2011, 10:50 PM
I've used the universal a couple of times. It just means the wire leg is long and you cut to the depth of your tank.

nofish
03-26-2011, 11:07 PM
if it was me , I'd get the one that is supposed to be in there. if it costs a little more it's worth the cost. Don't take chances when it comes to your fuel system. Just my 2 cents.

I can not find a OEM unit or I would have one, I refuse to skimp on
replacement parts.

Did the universal unit work right or was it junk?

lowe1648mt
03-26-2011, 11:29 PM
I have put in 100 or so (who counts?) They work. If you have a nema sender, try to stay with that kind. other wise the universal is ok.
Nema senders are a donut shaped float on a rod. they work on a magnet in the donut and a sensor in the rod.They cost more but can not corrode.
New sender must be to exact length for accuracy.

nofish
03-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Thank you all for your input. I guess I'll try to find the closest one to match or get a universal. Next job is to re-seal the minnkota. Gotta love boat maintenance. Thanks again!