PDA

View Full Version : Ririe Ice

PapaD
03-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Has any one been up to check on the ice and see if the blacktail gate is open.
I really need to get my boat in the water and catch some kokes.

MMDON
03-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Hmmm . . . I was wondering about the ice on the other end. It is usually gone much earlier. tooexcitedtooexcitedtooexcited

gonefishing
03-26-2011, 12:15 PM
I am taking a drive up there in a couple off hours to see if we can get in. I'll report back later in the day!

gonefishing
03-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Here ya go men. 3-4 weeks out yet. You can get there, but I would relax for a few weeks. Low water, Ice still. Of course some warm weather could change all that really fast. Time will tell.

PapaD
03-26-2011, 03:34 PM
I guess snow melt and run off will bring the level back up.

MMDON
03-26-2011, 04:57 PM
When you see all the floating debris on your end you will know why we start on the Juniper end. The ice will still be set on the East / West Run 2 corners above the power lines for a couple of weeks past the time we are fishing Juniper. As soon as that ice goes you spend your time for the next couple of weeks dodging debris fields and tumble weeds. The fishing really doesn't get good until the water goes from brown to green. That is about 30 days after the res is ice free.

PapaD
03-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I need to go for a ride so I guess I'll take a run to Juniper end tomorrow and check it out.

gonefishing
03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
MMM

Your right about the floating debies in the water. Lots of snow up high. It will be quite awhile till things clean up once a good melt begins. I am heading south west for the next 4-6 weeks to do some fishing.

I will spend the next 2 weeks getting ready, and then get after it. I'll come back to Ririe weather depending around week 1 or 2 of May.

gonefishing
03-28-2011, 06:15 PM
GOOD GREIF, THIS SPRING IS SHAPING UP JUST LIKE LAST YEARS SPRING.

SNOW, RAIN, ICE & JUST PLAIN NASTY! EASTERN IDAHO! ??????

101blah101101thumbsdown101

MMDON
03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
GOOD GREIF, THIS SPRING IS SHAPING UP JUST LIKE LAST YEARS SPRING.

SNOW, RAIN, ICE & JUST PLAIN NASTY! EASTERN IDAHO! ??????

101blah101101thumbsdown101

. . . and I thought I was the only one with cabin fever! 101goodpost101

MMDON
04-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Anyone launched at Juniper yet???????????????????//tooexcited

gonefishing
04-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Let us know when you do. I will be a follower on this one. I need one good weekend to get ready yet anyway. 101chromefish101

When do you think Island Park will thaw?

MMDON
04-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Usually I.P. is open 30 days before Henry's thaws. The run off and wind takes the ice much quicker there. End of April beginning of May with the weather the way it is this year.

gonefishing
04-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I hope the weather / Wind cooperate as soon as the ice is off I.P. Bows and Cuts are very interesting targets at ice out. Want to try kokes there too. I have never fished there, but from what I have been reading, there should be some opportunity for a little fun. We shall see.

Like all lakes, you have to learn where they are at and what works. I like the game of figuring it out.

I may take a look a Junper this Sunday. Next weekend, I will be ready to go some place, depending on Rain and Wind.

MMDON
04-06-2011, 10:38 PM
We usually prefish I.P. thursday and friday before Henry's opens up. The fishing is always good. We used to fish the west end a lot at ice out and the fishing is KILLER!!!!!!!!!! tooexcitedtooexcitedtooexcited

MMDON
04-08-2011, 05:27 PM
This was posted on the IDFG Upper Snake River Fishing Report this morning:

Ririe Reservoir - The ice has come off of the reservoir, and walleye are starting to move up into the Willow Creek arm to spawn. April is likely the best time to capitalize on congregated walleye in this area. Anglers should focus at the mouth of Willow Creek and in the stream channel immediately below the mouth.

MMDON
04-09-2011, 06:46 AM
What I want to understand is why, if the F&G report is true, aren't the F&G up there with about 50 gill nets cleaning them out. Isn't invasive species their job?????????101thumbsdown101

gonefishing
04-09-2011, 10:45 PM
I sure agree with you. I think that Ririe is on the low side of F & G Priority List.

If the weather cooperates, I may take a crack them next week. I am
still working on my boat but I will try be ready by next weekend.

I had been told that they were in there and was prepareing to go after them.

I noticed that all the trout was gone from the south end and that the koke population was much less on willow creek end of the reservior.

I am afraid that they will head down the reservior and eventually severely damage the Koke population in all of Ririe.

I am going to guess that there is not a limit on them.

MMDON
04-10-2011, 01:02 AM
No limit and a must kill if caught order. If you hike up the creek be careful. Lot's of cat tracks and deer carcasses that have been killed by cougars. A guy I talked to said it was a bit spooky as he was standing in cat tracks most of the day!

PapaD
04-10-2011, 08:10 AM
I hope you don't have to walk up the creek to find them. I kind of wanted to stay in my boat and troll or sit and throw a jig at them.

PapaD
04-10-2011, 08:55 AM
On one of the other Forums:
idahoron wrote: "If they are spawning I would say it will be a little while before you see a walleye bite. They go off the feed for a little while at the spawn time."I was thinking of going up around Tues or Wed and try and get some but if I read this right it would be a waste of time.

MMDON
04-10-2011, 09:52 AM
When spawning you can get an aggression strike by just getting the jig where they are at. The depth he mentioned 6 to 7' was right on. They bite all winter long on the east coast through the ice so I would imagine they'd bite in water that's in the 40's.

gonefishing
04-10-2011, 02:45 PM
I have Trolling gear for Walleye but no Jigs. Not that I don't have jigs, I just not sure what kind of jigs to use for Walleye. If you have a suggestion and can post a picture, I would as others greatly appreciate it.101shock1101

MMDON
04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Anyone fished Ririe yet???

gonefishing
04-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Not yet and I have company comming into town, so not until the 30th. I will be out then for sure and can let you know how it is. Hoping to hit I.P. the following Monday and Tuesday, if it is clear and launchable.

I would like to hear a report from some one who is going up to Ririe and fishing.101chromefish101

MMDON
04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
I should be up there fishing next week! The weather is looking much better! tooexcited

gonefishing
04-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Does any one know if the water is up. I would like to see about 10 ft Plus from where it was 2 weeks ago. I am seeing melt off pretty high up, so hopefully that is running in to the canyon.