PDA

View Full Version : Wallowa Lake kokanee size

pimpler
03-24-2011, 11:17 AM
This is not a scientific survey by any means, but in 2009 the kokanee fishing at Wallowa Lake netted me 87 fish over 16 inches and as I look back over my fishing logs the average size of fish that year was a shade over 18 inches with largest fish for the year at 23 1/2 inches and just over 5 pounds. Last years logs show that I caught 85 fish over 16, but the average size was 20.2 inches and topped out with my 8.85 pounder at 26 inches. I also caught 6 additional fish last year that topped six pounds. Now we come to this year. So far I have caught only 18 fish that have topped 16 inches and overall average of all fish caught is just under 15 inches, with largest at 21 inches. In talking to all the diehards that fish February and March in the ice and snow, the consensus seems to be that the fish this year just do not stack up to the last few years. Now don't get me wrong- there have been some bigger fish (up to 5 pounds) caught this year, and a 15 inch koke is a very respectable fish, but the numbers seem to show that if you're looking for that next record fish the big fish will be a lot harder to come by this year. Tight lines and I'll see you at the lake.

DLM
03-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the report, you record keeping is exemplary. Based on your research I don't feel so bad about not being able to make the trip this year.

mrmike
03-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Nice report/ it takes a lot to open up on your success. I fished this lake 2 yrs ago wasn't able to get away last yr because of work. I did have some success got one fish by accident was 24" largest kokanee I ever caught. I figured 5 1/2 lbs the secret is first I'm a firm believer of The Master Angler by Phil Robideau Why color matters. The water is Blue in color with matters a lot for color patterns anyway. I used a custom painted k-11 quick fish yes 3 1/2 k-11 The fish swallowed it. I was targeting Mack. It opened my eyes I'm hoping to get back up there this June God willing and the creek don't rise.

Kokaneegal
04-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Pimpler - Sounds like you got some nice fish the last couple of years. But, you're not going to burst my bubble!!!! I'm going back in about a month and am going to catch the big one!!!! Or at least try anyway.
Kokaneegal