PDA

View Full Version : Justify $$$ for Pickup Campers

DLM
03-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Why do campers for pickups cost so darn much?

The last few years I have been drooling over a nice 10.5 camper with a side entrance and one slide out. This is just fantastic unit, but so is the price, $35,000.00 and that was at a show!101shock1101

Yet, you can get a travel trailer in a 16 to 18 foot range for the high teens to the low 20's.

What makes the campers worth so much more? How can the price be justified, they don't have axels, they don't have big steel frames, brakes or a fraction of the room. The are both built on assembly lines using the same type of material and construction techniques.

I just don't get it. Someone please show me the light, explain this to me.

SuperD
03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
David, just suck it up and buy one! The ability to pull your boat everywhere you go has to be worth something! Someday i plan on adding a travel trailer to the fleet but envision always keeping the camper.

DLM
03-21-2011, 07:21 PM
We tow now with a class c motorhome and it works just fine, even launching. We were just looking forward to retirement in a few years and exploring the options. I just can't figure out how they come up with that cost, other than it is what the market will pay.

SuperD
03-21-2011, 10:42 PM
I've had people tell me that structurally they are much sounder than trailer as they don't ride on a chassis. They are the best of both worlds because not only can you tow with it but you can drop it and leave camp in the truck and not have to up root camp to do it.

SmokeOnTheWater
03-22-2011, 02:00 AM
As a proud owner of a Host, Rainier 9.5', I can honestly say that these slide in campers have come a long way baby. Ours is fully equiped with the works and two slides, one on each side. This opens the interior up for much more elbow room. Yeah, the price is pretty steep but when you consider the R&D that has gone into them for everything to fit and function, it's just amazing to me. Remote control jacks make on and off loading a 15 minute effortless task and I'm not hauling everything including the kitchen sink down to launch the boat. Towing nearly anything with a tongue weight of 150lbs or less is perfect. The extended hitch reduces your tongue weight capacity by about 1/3. Put all this on a diesel and hauling/towing is a snap though my mileage drops to about 14mpg. It's still better than towing tandem or having the better half white-knuckle it towing the boat with the other vehicle - just not worth it to us.

skyhammer
03-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Sounds like you like your Host, which is good to hear. I just bought a Host Everest, 11.5' triple slide and a new F-350 to haul it.
I took a tour of the factory in Bend last Fall and was amazed at their production process.
I was going to get the Tahoe, 10.5' double slide,but with the bad economy, they made me a deal on the Everest for the same price. Plus I save nearly $5k on sales tax and will be able to avoid the $400/year, County property tax.
The camper, truck and boat are sitting at the factory in Bend until I can get up there in June.

SuperD
03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
skyhammer, can't wait to hear your opinion about hauling that beast with a 350. That's going to be a load!

skyhammer
03-22-2011, 02:09 PM
It sure will be a load, but I think I will still be within specs.
Ford(and Chevy) have really increased their GVWR and payload capacities.
Dodge is behind the times by quite a bit and would be over loaded with just the empty camper.
Dodge has a payload of 4400lbs., GVWR of 12,200lbs. The Ford has a GVWR of 13,300lbs and a payload of 5760lbs, the Chevy is about the same.
The base weight of the Everest is 3,295lbs, with my options, 4,448lbs. dry.
This gives me a little under 1,400lbs for me, stuff in camper and truck and the boat. I am usually by myself and as long as I don't fill the 70 gallon fresh water tank while traveling, I should be right at the limit.
That is the plan, I'll just have to see how it goes.

Mav186
03-22-2011, 10:03 PM
This was a great question...as I've often wondered that very thing myself! Can't figure it out either, but man it would be sooooo sweet to be able to have a nice camper next to my boat...ahhhhhh. I have a F-250 with the 7.3 diesel and a 18.5 Weldcraft...can anyone name a few camper sizes /makes that would work? I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so you can pm me if you want!

SuperD
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Mav, if you go with a slide unit, you'll push your limits with an 8 1/2' unit like mine. If you go with a non slide unit, you'll be able to add about another foot in length. Price limitations on your end will determine what brands I'd recommend.

Full_Monte
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
This is similar to the question: why do laptops cost more than desktop computers with the same performance. Answer is you are cramming a lot into a small container and it's more difficult to do that than if you have a lot of room.

platypus
03-24-2011, 01:34 PM
This was a great question...as I've often wondered that very thing myself! Can't figure it out either, but man it would be sooooo sweet to be able to have a nice camper next to my boat...ahhhhhh. I have a F-250 with the 7.3 diesel and a 18.5 Weldcraft...can anyone name a few camper sizes /makes that would work? I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so you can pm me if you want!

--check out truck camper magazine on line & free..
--It has articles written by people who use campers also great resource selection of camper brands and information.
--As I have a Tacoma.. I can't carry a standard camper and tow my boat.. but there are light pop up off road options that would bring me under weight. Pop ups have come a long way, less wind resistance and weight thus better gas mileage.

--AS this thread about price.. I think it is all market... check out some of the Canadian sites for same campers in USA if you want price shock... I could drive to Colorado and pick up a custom built camper for less than I could buy on here... even when there was a larger gap in our dollar.

why2fish
03-24-2011, 11:43 PM
We have a 9'10"Lance. Best buy (used) we ever made. The combo of a "home" on a truck that doubles as a workhorse without the camper on, and can still pull the boat when needed is unbeatable. One suggestion though, pull out the "RV" mattress and put in a real comfortable one. I havent felt an "RV" mattress worth spending a single night on.