PDA

View Full Version : Lake Alder Report

TrollNFisher
03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Lake Alder 20 Mar 2011 started 0950, trolled next to the dam and northwest started out trolling free lining out the back trolled florescent green wedding band behind a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and procure kokanee gel. On the other pop gear with a green hoochie squid tipped with the same stuff. Caught a nice rainbow in about 60 foot of water and trolled around for a while more and nothing. Went back to electronics and was marking several fish 20 foot down so broke out the riggers bam nice kokanee at 19 foot in the boat on the wedding ring, second one went off a minute later at 17 foot right at the damn in that 200 foot of water or so. Trolling speed was .09 to 1.1 now here is the thing I know everyone wants the water temp, but I bought a new HDS-5 and need to say couldn’t figure it out on how to get the temperature to read, so that’s my fault should of read the manual. We caught 2 kokanee and one rainbow. Not a bad day but a little chili, but calm. I wanted to say thanks to Duroboat rider of the forum for all the useful help and techniques.

Mav186
03-21-2011, 02:51 PM
It's great to see a fellow member give information that helps put fish on the deck...then to have it acknowledged...way to go TnF!!

TrollNFisher
03-21-2011, 06:33 PM
I met Duroboat rider of the forum at Cabelas during their Spring Captains weekend and he gave a great seminar on trolling for kokanee in the lakes, man it was right on the money. Can’t wait to get back on the water.

Wood2turn
03-21-2011, 07:42 PM
where is lake alder??

kokanee_slayer
03-21-2011, 09:39 PM
TrollNFisher,
Great Job and thanks for the info!

TrollNFisher
03-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Lake Alder is about 25 miles from yelm, take 507 to 702 and the turn right on 7 can't miss it.

Duroboat Rider
03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I took my boss out today to have a shake down with the Duroboat on this very early and frosty morning at Alder. Launched the boat around 8:30 and had the downriggers going by 8:45. Water temp to start was 39.4 degrees. Hit two Kokanee over by the dam the first 25 minutes in the water at 24 ft. and 16 ft. Using dodger and Rocky Mountain Pink Hoochie, and glow beads to push the hoochie up from the hooks. Tipped with Berkley Gulp Pink Maggots and scented both dodger and Hoochie with DNA (Dick Nite Attractant) scent. The Kokanee were small and not very feisty due to the cold water. Largest was around 11 inches.

Fished for another hour and had one other take down, yet wind and waves kicked us off, yet became a very beautiful day with awesome views of Rainer!!!!
Once that water warms up the action will heat up!!!!!101chromefish101

Mav186
03-23-2011, 08:56 PM
SWEEEET...those are some fatties!!

TrollNFisher
03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Man good report, I had no idea the water was that cold, I knew it was cold on sunday but not that cold. I fixed my Temp on the fish finder so I'm ready and got the DNA.

eenakoK
03-24-2011, 03:48 AM
Thanks for sharing the reports! I want to try and fish alder again this year. Last year when I attempted to fish it, my boat broke down. such is life of a fisherman! Keep the reports coming!

TrollNFisher
04-24-2011, 12:18 AM
23 Apr 2011 started 1200-1700, trolled next to the dam and northwest started out trolling free lining out the back trolled red wedding band behind a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel on this set up I landed one kokanee and two trout all under 10 inches. Back to electronics and was marking several fish 20 foot down so broke out the riggers and nothing for a while it seemed the fish had lock jaw so I free lined chartreuse squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee out the back and landed two more kokes all under ten inches. Let it out again and me and my son lost a 18-20 inch rainbow man what a fish but we will get him next time. Trolling speed was .09 to 1.6 seemed I picked up fish at a faster troll. Water temp was 47.2 in spots up to 48.3 in the channels at the boat dock 50.2. We caught 3 kokanee and two rainbow and lost another one. All fish were returned to fight another day and to grow up! Not a bad day beautiful and calm. Not a lot of traffic up there, but there were a few of my favorite people “the jet skiers”!!! Yep there here!

TrollNFisher
05-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Anyone out there fish Alder lately? Just wondering if anyone had any luck.