PDA

View Full Version : Lake Merwin 3-19-11

Kokonuts
03-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I went out on Sat. 3-19-'11 about 11:00 just to run the boat around and test some new stuff for the 1st. time this year!
What a surprise when I had 3 nice ones in the boat by 12:00!! Even better the largest was 16" & the other 2 were 12-14". Wow!

It was great when the sun was out but it started to rain then hail. The hot bite turned off like a switch so I was in by 1:30.

I just started with my favorite set up from last year, R&K pink Hoochies behind a homemade Pink/White dodger with Pink Maggots. After it started raining I switched to Purple Spinners & Green Spinners but no luck!

Hope to see you on the water, Kokonuts 101chromefish101

smokin' Kokes
03-21-2011, 05:15 AM
great report kokenut,

where at on lake?

any signs of schooling or where they spread out?

on the surface?

troll speed?

the bite window this early with all the storms and squalls going thru is short, any info will help the newcomers in our group.
love to see newcomers catch some early fish, so many quit after a few of those lousy wet cold weather with no fish.

These warm sunny days really bring the early kokes up to the surface to feed on this years first blooms of algae.

Kokonuts
03-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Ok.....I was going to keep "The Hot Spot" secret for awhile but since a friend told me about it .....

I was near the dam in the middle of the lake at the last big point on the south side. Fish at 15ft. on the DRs but since I broke the Transducer Bracket while launching the boat due to a FREAK ACCIDENT thats never happened before laugh hyst I was blind to everything! And thats all I will say about that!! 101duh101
I did talk with some guys fishing the south side closer to Speilai but they didnt have anything.
Kokonuts thumbsup

Koke-n-a-smile
03-21-2011, 11:02 PM
101goodpost101Thanks for the report! Not bad for fishing blind! I am in the market for a new FF, maybe a Humminbird 597 ci HD combo, or the 788 ci HD combo. My current one has me blind half of the time too, so I know what you were going through.

RibOwner
03-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Where are the pics? Photos please!

Kokanee Rookie
03-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Took my wife out today, she caught 4 in 2 1/2 hours. Once she got the right combo the 4 came in an hour. She had that luck even though she brought bananas on the boat.I did'nt even get a strike. I told her that a good captin makes sure that his charters catch first, she did'nt buy it. Watching her catch them was priceless. Caught them on an orange wedding ring at 15 feet deep.

MackPrince
03-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Bananas on the boat. Wow. The bad juju must have been offset by the girl cutieslaugh hyst

Mark McWillis
03-24-2011, 11:33 AM
KR, well done and welcome to the forum! 101goodpost101

eenakoK
03-26-2011, 06:38 PM
FYI -
I just read a report of 55 fish being caught in the last two days. Sounds like things are heating up down there! Go get em!

southside
03-27-2011, 08:21 PM
I got tired of the springer zoo on the CR and went up to the lake Saturday at the crack of 9:30. There were a bout a dozen rigs with trailers in the lot and the wind was not too bad.

I started out across from the launch flatlining a slingblade and hoochie at 50ft. and a lake troll with a green wedding ring tipped with corn on the other at about 45ft. with no lead. Trolled down the south side for an hour with two hookups that ended up being long line releases on the wedding ring set up.
Changed the other rig to a wedding ring and lake troll and brought the line out up to 40ft. and got hit. A very fiesty 14" koke. I set both rigs at that depth and trolled at 0.9 to 1mph and caught a limit going north to south.

I never did see a single fish on the finder and the wamest water I found was 41.2deg in 25ft of water. It rained on and off but all in all a very nice way to spend a Saturday.

Peace, Tom

Kokonuts
03-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Fished Fri. 3-25 & Sun 3-27, Got the 5 fish limit in a couple of hours each day! This is the BEST early Season I've ever seen!
No reason to change anything, Pink & White Hoochies, Pink Dodger & Pink Maggots does the trick for me!
Fished at 20 ft. trolling at 1.5- 1.8 mph. Water temp was 40 & Air temp wasnt much higher and plenty of Rain! laugh hyst

I launch at The Campers Hideaway & if they LOWER the water any more I wont be able to Launch there.
Check the water level before going! 101shock1101

Kokonutsthumbsup

Koke-n-a-smile
03-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the report! I am installing a new FF this weekend so I couldn't get out. My buddy just caught a springer today so I may try one more time for those while I fine tune my FF. I look forward to getting up there soon, spring break for my kids is April 4 through 8, so my plan is to try to get to Merwin or Yale at least twice. Maybe see you up there then.

kokanee_slayer
03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Niceeeee Work Kokonuts and thanks for the report! I would love to fish Merwin sometime this spring.

eenakoK
03-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Niceeeee Work Kokonuts and thanks for the report! I would love to fish Merwin sometime this spring.

Maybe we will have to split the bill and head down there! Sounds like there is a lot of catching going on down there!

RibOwner
04-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Took my daughter out fishing today for about 2.5 hours. Go in the water around 10:00 a.m. and headed to our favorite spot. Couple of nice hits in the first 15 minutes but nothing stuck. Keep trolling and finally got a nice 14" in the boat! Yeehaaa! The next two hours we were able to get 6 more after losing about 6. Including the double on the way back to the ramp. Hit the ramp around 12:30 to get home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vancouvertechie/?saved=1

kokaguy1
04-01-2011, 09:23 PM
heading for Merwin Saturday what was the hot set up when you were there?

RibOwner
04-01-2011, 09:39 PM
The hot setup was a sling blade with a pink hoochie. Using fire corn. I will be there again tomorrow morning. Look for me in the Arima with the blue top.

J.

Kokecatcher
04-02-2011, 05:16 PM
I fished Merwin on Friday, April 1. It started slow for me but when I found fish I got 7 hits with 5 in the boat in 45 minutes. I used a pink and white hoochie with pink hooks behind a 2/oo half and half dodger with squares of pink glow tape on each side. I fished 80 ft back with 1/2 oz. I met Kokonuts on the water and he gave me his card. I decided to join. In the parking lot I met Ribowner. My fish were 12-13 1/2 inches. I will be back next week.

Kokecatcher
04-02-2011, 05:17 PM
The ruler in the picture above is a 15 inch ruler. It does not show in the small picture.

eenakoK
04-02-2011, 05:32 PM
I will be down there on Thursday.. Looking foward to it!

RibOwner
04-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Well I was back at it again this morning April 2nd. We were trolling around 7 a.m. and wrapped up at 8:45 a.m. to head for some springer fishing.

Got 9 cookie cutter Kokanee all around the 12-14" range. This morning if we would have kept them on the hook we would have been done by 8 a.m.

I will be back out on Tuesday with both my girls. I hope the weather is a little nicer. Darn wind comes out of no where.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vancouvertechie/?saved=1

Kokcatcher it was nice talking to you. I will definitely look into the line counters before my trip to Wallowa.

J

Calcan
04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
I fished Merwin this morning we caught 10 fish in about 45 minutes. Two questions if gas is going to cost so much can't they raise the limit to 10 fish.
And why can't they open the cresup day park all year long? What a waste of a good launch and parking lot!

smokin' Kokes
04-03-2011, 02:26 AM
nice stringers of kokes, kokecatcher and ribowner

ribowner love those Dorado mahi mahi pics and especially those of your little princess koke fisherperson
start 'em young and they fish forever. great way for dad and daughter to spend the day.

Birds Nest
04-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Snow when I picked up my boat at LMCH rain and sleet on the lake but what an amazing day, if the action is this good and the size at this time of year is where its at all others stay away. take the advice of the Oregon guy who said the fish taste horrible on Merwin and let me keep it all to myself. Am I selfish YES, Yes I am. by the way the launch at LMCH is still extremely low and 4x4 required

live2fish
04-04-2011, 12:24 AM
got into the kokes sat about noon , non stop action for an hour .the hot setup for me was a clear & limegreen apex w corn ,the gold flasher seemed more active than silver . this was the wife and my first trip out this season, hope the rest of season is this fun!

Cosby
04-04-2011, 06:42 AM
I fished Merwin this morning we caught 10 fish in about 45 minutes. Two questions if gas is going to cost so much can't they raise the limit to 10 fish.
And why can't they open the cresup day park all year long? What a waste of a good launch and parking lot!

Calcan......... "the story" I've always heard about the Cresap Bay launch/facility, is that the original owners donated the land on the condition that it be closed during the winter months so that the deer and elk had a place to graze. Can't answer your question about a 10 fish limit, but my guess is that it will not happen.

RibOwner
04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Merwin follows the state guidelines of the 5 trout limit. It is 5 fish per person.

Calcan
04-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks I was just a little upset after a long winter of no fishing but two great days of fishing and I feel a lot better.