PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Koke Derby??

BlueBack79
03-20-2011, 12:41 PM
just curious if there are any kokanee derbies being held in idaho?

MMDON
03-20-2011, 05:31 PM
None in S.E. Idaho.

Mojo
03-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Rumor has it, that is going to change this summer. I hear there may be one at LP or Arrowrock this summer...

KokeJunkie
03-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Who's coordinating?

metalheadgene
03-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Rumor has it, that is going to change this summer. I hear there may be one at LP or Arrowrock this summer...

I am on the fence on this one. I am all for folks being introduced to something new and if it wasn't for good friends, I would never have known how great an experience Koke fishing is.

That being said, I worry that a derby, this close to a population center such as Boise will really bring them out from the woodwork veres those who truly are there for the fishing experience.

On the other hand, I coould just be cranky and already feel the lake is crowded enough101thumbsdown101

trkboss
03-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Hello!
I can appreciate that someone would be on the fence on this issue, but at the risk of getting smacked at the boat ramp here is the idea. We would like to get a Kokanee Power organization started in Idaho to help protect/support the fishery. The thought was that if we could get all the government entities to sign off on it that we would have a kokanee derby at Lucky Peak with all the proceeds going to get the organization off the ground. Kokaneetackle.com would donate all the prizes and sponsor a barbeque for all the contestants. I love fishing at Lucky Peak. The more we can do to be involved, the better the fishery will be for all of us. I have spent some time with the guys from Kokanee Power Oregon and they are more than willing to help. They have committed their time and are willing to help us by coming over and helping us get the "derby" off the ground. This will be a time comsuming effort and we are more than willing to move forward, but I would like to get the thoughts of the members here. Kokanee Power Idaho would need members and your support. Thoughts?

Joe

spoons
03-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Hello!
I can appreciate that someone would be on the fence on this issue, but at the risk of getting smacked at the boat ramp here is the idea. We would like to get a Kokanee Power organization started in Idaho to help protect/support the fishery. The thought was that if we could get all the government entities to sign off on it that we would have a kokanee derby at Lucky Peak with all the proceeds going to get the organization off the ground. Kokaneetackle.com would donate all the prizes and sponsor a barbeque for all the contestants. I love fishing at Lucky Peak. The more we can do to be involved, the better the fishery will be for all of us. I have spent some time with the guys from Kokanee Power Oregon and they are more than willing to help. They have committed their time and are willing to help us by coming over and helping us get the "derby" off the ground. This will be a time comsuming effort and we are more than willing to move forward, but I would like to get the thoughts of the members here. Kokanee Power Idaho would need members and your support. Thoughts?

Joe

OK.
I'm not really in the mix of things...
So I'm going to need to give the derby thing some serious thought prior to deciding whether I'm for or against it.
Can you tell me what you feel needs to be done in order to protect and support the kokanee fishery inb the state?
In the State of Idaho, I've only fished for kokes in the SW region (LP and Arrowrock and Anderson). So far I haven't ventured to Deadwood.
In other states, I've heard that derbys have a negative impact on the various fisheries.

MMDON
03-22-2011, 02:42 PM
trkboss,

While I'm a big supporter of organizations like Kokanee Power in California, I'm at a complete loss as to how that will help the Kokanee in Idaho. We don't have loss of habitat issue and planting more Kokanee in waters that already have them will simply stunt the growth of the fish that are there . . .

As was asked in the post above, what issues are your referring to that Kokanee Power could help with??? While you are welcome to have a tourney by meeting the F&G guidelines without the fishing communities consent, you seem to table issues for having it that I would like to hear your explanation for.

Thanks,

Don

ValleyCounty
03-22-2011, 05:06 PM
If you want Idaho Fish and Game's support for a derby, There needs to be a attempt to get kids involved. The problem with a derby is there will those who support it only to help out there business not to support a fishery. A good contact at Fish and Game would be Virgil Moore. most likely the new Director for Fish and Game if were lucky.

DLM
03-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I am not going to get too involved here as this is an Idaho issue and should be decided by Idaho fishermen, and ladies of course. But I thought if may be helpful to your discussion if I chime in just a little.

First, there has never been any negative impact on a kokanee fishery due to a kokanee derby. We used to sponser a trout derby at Diamond Lake, on of the most popular trout lakes in the state. That derby brought the roachs out from under the woodwork. We had a real problem with cheating two years in a row and have discontinued that derby, forever.

There are a couple things that can be done to keep from having everyone that can beg borrow or steal a boat from entering the derby. First is in your rules. We prohibit anchoring (eliminates chuming) and we prohibit bank fishing. Another reason that attendance can get out of hand is if the prize money is too big. Big money attacts all types of folks.

While some may think that you kokanee fisheries do not need improved, it is important to realize that it takes a lot of work to keep them from getting worse. State agencies are always looking for volunteers to help them out. Our southern members help clean up five lakes in sourthern Oregon twice a year, using their boats and getting all the trash and debris from all the hard to reach places on the ponds.

We have also been contacted by ODFW (Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife) just today. They would like us to share the information we get from our weigh in to help them get a better picture of the condition of fish. They have also mentioned other projects that we may be able to help with, such as the Kids Kokanee Karnival and a chub removal project at a couple premier kokanee lakes. We have also had early discussion about being involved in a kokanee netting project in the fall.

This is a great discussion and should continue. We are here to help if needed.

DLM
David Martin
Secretary, Kokanee Power of Oregon.

BlueBack79
03-22-2011, 09:13 PM
i'm all for it, if it can benefit our fisheries. i think one major fishery that could use all the help it could get, would be pend oreille. ive heard and read the stories of how awesome it used to be. i guess its starting to recover, but i'm sure it's a long, long way from it's glory days. i would hope that kokanee power would put this fishery on the top of their list.

trkboss
03-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Don,
I am not stating that there is a problem. I am not sure how having an organization that is willing to help clean lakes, stream beds, and educate is a bad thing. I know that Idaho Fish and Game now asks for volunteers to help out with clean up and stream bed work at Anderson Ranch. I threw it out there to have a discussion about wether it was something everyone is interested in. I thought the "derby" part of it could be FUN. The end goal however would be to raise some funds to get a kokanee power organization launched here. As far as huge prizes....well I don't mean to let anyone down, but I was thinking a rod/real combo etc. If this is something that is going to cause problems I will gladly step aside as that was not my intention at all.

Joe

KokeJunkie
03-23-2011, 01:05 AM
I get the feeling that there are some that are worried that a tourney would attract more fishermen and boats to our near and dear kokanee lakes that many consider to be too crowded as it is. But the unfortunate fact is that our secret is out and LP in particular is getting more and more pressure every year. I wonder however if that is such a bad thing. Seeing a bunch of fishing boats out on the res used to bother me but I've come to the realization that other fishing boats are typically not a problem (except for the occasional boat that ignores trolling etiquette). The problems come from all the NON-fishing boats and skis on the water. To be honest, I now think the more sportsmen we have on LP, the louder the voice we will collectively have in addressing the problems we are experiencing.

As to the question of whether to have a tourney or not? I say yes, as long as it is done in the right way. I've always envisioned someone starting a local kokanee club and the club having small tourneys throughout the year in local lakes. No big $$ or prizes. Just a few small purses and some bragging rights. The idea would be to keep it local and not pull in the pros from other areas and further expose our waterways to pressure. No big advertising in Cabelas, Sportsmans, or the paper. Keep it quiet and keep it small. If we wanted to get serious, the club members could join forces and possibly enter the larger tournaments in other areas (anyone for a road trip?!). I know for a fact this type of club model is used successfully in bass fishing circles.

Im not familiar enough with the Kokanee Power organization to know whether or not it would be a good fit for our area. Having a club that is not affiliated with Kokanee Power may work just as well. I do however like the idea of having a higher purpose for a club that would work toward improving the fishery.

I do appreciate the idea a tourney and thank Joe and Kokaneetackle/Tackleshop for taking the lead and offering prizes. Just my two cents. Lets keep up the dialog and see where this goes.

KJ

MMDON
03-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Joe,

I was just wondering what issues you had seen. I've got nothing against tourneys and as I mentioned, Kokanee Power and CIFFI have done great work in the program implementations in place in California. I'm just not sure that we have the needs they had for programs in private stocking and such. Most tourneys require pretty good size entrance fees to cover insurance and permits along with advertising and set up fees. My hat is off to anyone that wants to put all of the time in that is required to make these events a success!

If you get it all together I may just have to pull over there for the event!

Don

CBT
03-23-2011, 06:47 PM
As most of you may well know I dont live back in your neck of the country. But here is what I see. By getting involved with Kokanee Power who dose not just do just kokanee projects ( trout pens also ) you would be able to have the protection of the non profit group (all ready set up ) and be able to get direction from established folks that have been doing things like this for years. By putting on a derby with or with out prize money and getting the local paper involved you will gain members. By getting members you now have the chance to have you voice heard with the state. Also if the Feds should ever hand down rules against outdoorsman and ladies we can all stand together. Remember that all together we will be heard better than apart. And I would think that no matter what state chapter you are from if on place has a problem with there state all chapters could stand together to help each other out. Besides isnt that what this country was build on? STAND TOGETHER
Now as for entry fees if you look at what is charged for a 1 day derby here in CA it is not all that much especially when they give you lunch too. Kids are free and $40 to $50 a person is realy not all the much especially when you got to cover permit cost and insurance. It is also a great way to get more people involved in the outdoors. If we dont do that we are going to lose what we have. The future rides on our children. This is a great event for family time and time with our children. An I am sure most of you (may not admit it) will say that is one problem we have all over is not enough time with our children. I know that if Joe dose go through with this I will support him. Good luck and keep a tight line

MMDON
03-23-2011, 07:20 PM
CBT,

Nothing against Kokanee Power or any of the other organizations. It would probably be good to have Kokanee Power in Idaho. They are a super group to belong to. As I mentioned I do everything I can to support their efforts and organization in California!

Here are some of my concerns. We don't use pens, our licenses more than cover the plants for the few lakes we can actually have Kokanee survive in. If you want a voice, in Idaho you just walk into the IDFG and speak with the Director in person. The federal government isn't an issue here. It's not in California either. . . The Cal F&G is being sued for not doing the ESA studies it was required to do. We don't have those requirements either. Basically all the reasons you need Kokanee Power, simply don't exist here. They are a fine organization and I do contribute to them in Cal through my fishing web site but I still don't see the need here unless you just want to belong to something or wish to have more boats (traffic) to fish with on a regular basis. I rather enjoy going to my favorite lake and only seeing one or two boats Kokanee fishing all day long. Anyone can hold a tourney here without paying dues to an organization by paying the fee and showing proof of insurance. In this instance it would seem simpler to just have a club. As long as the entries are kept under 13 participants, you don't even have to register or insure.

One last thought. People in Idaho still fish and hunt with their kids and see it as a way of life. We actually live here because it isn't like California. Making us more like California makes little sense to someone who lived down in that mess until retiring. As a native from Idaho, I always wonder about the people that move up here to escape what they left, only to recreate it here.

CBT
03-23-2011, 08:12 PM
MMM,
Never said that I was trying to change your ways in your state. But in no way do you have to be a member to fish a derby at Kokanee Power. An to be honest how much fun would it be to just have 13 participants.

As for way of life dont think for a minute that others folks in other states dont fish and hunt with their children as a way of life, because we do. For some of us (as it is for our house) its a way to keep food on the table no matter what part of this great country we live. I was pointing out that it is a way for us to set aside more time with our children and to show them another way to challange them self other than a video game.

Oh one other thing yes the feds are involved in the fishing guess you have not read much about the salmon on the entire west coast. An yes they can very well get there hands into our lakes. Lets hope not!
Good luck to all and keep tight lines

MMDON
03-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I appreciate your response. I agree about the family and the food.

As for the Salmon up and down the coast, I own one of California's largest fishing web sites. I'm very familiar with all of the conditions that exist for Anadromous species up and down the coast. That however has nothing to do with the organizations that typically cover land locked fish.

You should come up here and fish with us. Unspoiled waters. Unclogged launches. You aren't even following another boat around in a circle. It's a very special way of life. Having fished all over California, I'm thinking this would spoil you for tourney crowds. (laugh)

CBT
03-23-2011, 08:39 PM
MMM,
I thank you for the invite to fish your waters. Since you have a fishing site you should know about some of the lakes that I fish in the Crystal Basin. A lot of the time the traffic is not all that bad with fisherman and ladies its the ski boats that can cause problems on weekends some times. But as for tourney fishing, its a way to challange myself and to better myself along with develope new things. I have meet some of the best people at these things and seen others help out folks that are strugling and I have helped others my self. In fact I think I have given out more stuff than I have sold at a derby. It also gives me a chance to figure things out so when I get those tough bite days when other boats are or are not on the water I can still pull fish. Besides its just good old FUN
Good luck and keep fishing

Kokanee Troller
03-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Hello!

Joe

I'm in favor of having a derby, it would have to be at LP because of the very limited dock at Arrowrock. Having a partnership with Kokanee Power would be excellent. Suggest someone make contact with IFG ( Jeff Dillon ) to get his input and any suggestions.

Petty4life
03-25-2011, 10:15 PM
TRKBOSS, I'm intrested in the derby but only if i can fish with you....LOL

Mojo
03-26-2011, 01:18 AM
I think it is a great idea. I think it is important that us fisherfolks show the masses that lucky peak isn't just a waterski lake, but a class fishery. It is time to do something positive, instead of just flipping off the wakeboarders as they try to flip our boats over or spray us with their wakes...

In addition it would be great to put more faces to monikers from this forum.

gonefishing
03-26-2011, 12:12 PM
A annual tournament in Idaho would be fun, regardless of where it is held. It could be moved around to different lakes each year. Whatever, if you all put one on at Lucky Peak this year, I would look forward to attendling myself.

But if your are going to do this, it should be organized soon. For a starter, you could have a meet and greet fish for fun Idaho tournament / get together for this year and crank it up and make it a real contest / tournament for the second year. Just a suggestion.

A 2 day Gig would be fun. Just meeting some of those who are on the forum regularly would be likely fun for all.

Have fun & tight lines all! Lets do it.

BlueBack79
03-26-2011, 01:03 PM
+1. i think most of us here are pro derby. i'd be willing to donate my first place victory prize to the runner upnananana ha ha ha!

CBT
03-26-2011, 11:50 PM
TRKBOSS, I'm intrested in the derby but only if i can fish with you....LOL
So what we going to do? If I am able to make it back there for this I was going to fish this. I plan on doing my best to make the time to fish this event. But most of all I will support it to the best of my ability. We all have to stand together no mater what the government throrws at us !!!!

MMDON
03-28-2011, 12:03 PM
So what is the date? 101chromefish101

trkboss
03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
I apologize for the delay. Con Expo about kills me and I am glad it only is once every two years!!! I will get going on this and set up a meeeting for us as well as a meeting with Fish and Game.
Joe

vanweld1
03-30-2011, 12:35 PM
We're taking a road trip in Aug. and going through Flaming Gorge area and have a couple of days to fish. Wondering where would be the best place to start at that time of year.

MMDON
03-30-2011, 01:15 PM
We're taking a road trip in Aug. and going through Flaming Gorge area and have a couple of days to fish. Wondering where would be the best place to start at that time of year.

I'd start at Buckboard in Wyoming that late in the year.

You will get more targeted responses by posting on the board for that area however.

Kokanee Troller
03-31-2011, 05:01 PM
uu

I'm leaving for Flaming George Fri...I will give you a complete update on the
fishing and camping about next Thrusday....Hang On!!!!!!!

MMDON
03-31-2011, 05:55 PM
uu

I'm leaving for Flaming George Fri...I will give you a complete update on the
fishing and camping about next Thrusday....Hang On!!!!!!!

Lucky Dog!!!!!!!! thumbsup

gonefishing
03-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Have fun. We will all be looking forward to your map of where the fish are all
hanging out.whistlersmother

vanweld1
04-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I will look forward to hearing from you!! How about RV parks in the area? Good luck!

MMDON
04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
They are doing a lot of construction at the Manilla campground this year. This will cause a short supply of camping spots if you wish to have water and electricity. Book Early!!!!!!!!!!

BlueBack79
04-02-2011, 05:08 PM
so is this event still planned? any details?