PDA

View Full Version : Through Hull transducers

AFDan52
03-19-2011, 11:31 AM
I was just wondering if if anyone here in the KFF Nation might be using a Through Hull Transducer or a Shoot through the hull transducer. Also, how do you like it over the mount on the back of the boat type?

lowe1648mt
03-19-2011, 04:17 PM
You will probably get 4 or 5 different opinions.
I prefer a transom mount. It is easier. drawback- if you roll over a log or drop your boat off the trailer, you rip off the transducer.
With a thru hull transducer there is almost no problem with ripping it off of the hull, if you use a flat mount transducer. The drawback is you open up a larger hole in your hull. If you hit something hard enough, you have a possibility of a bigger leak.
If you use a large transducer that extends below the hull, much more likly to have damage.
With a shoot thru hull, none of those problems exist. However if you want temp or speed , you will have to mout another unit on the transom. The type of hull you have will determine if you can use a shoot thru hull transducer. A Whaler has a cored hull. won't work unless you cut thru the inner layer and mount the transducer to the outer hull. Aluminum boats flex. sometimes that will cause the transducer to pop loose. It has to be glued down with something solid like epoxy.

AFDan52
03-19-2011, 07:12 PM
That's kind of what I figured, I was just trying to get another opinion. I only know 1 person that uses the hull setup . Thanks .