PDA

View Full Version : Matching outfits?

SuperD
03-18-2011, 10:05 PM
How often do you try to match your dodger / lure presentations?

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/8913/spinner1111.jpg[/quote]

Kokanee-Toni
03-18-2011, 10:24 PM
...Never... 101idea101

BorntoFish01
03-18-2011, 10:51 PM
i generally try to stay with the same color scheme if possible. i love the colors of your pictured outfit. where'd you find that prizm tab - presuming you made this dodger.

SuperD
03-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Tape is WTP Inc. - purple hyperplaid. Go to the WTP website.

Jerks r free
03-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Good looking blade SuperD. I like the purple.

JrF

Bduck
03-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Dave, do you have one in extra large? I need more Sunday go to meetin' shirts. Great job as usual on the matches. 101chromefish101

SilverBullets
03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
I think matching lure and dodger colors is a great idea but to be honest the majority of the kokanee I've caught over the years has been on non matching.

Jerks r free
03-20-2011, 02:50 PM
I start out trying to match my stuff up.. but if the situation calls for something different then I'll switch up. For me it's more of what I have confidence in.

SuperD
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
That might just towards supporting one of my dodger theories that the dodger means nothing more than sound through vibration and applied action to the lure. If we could get one of those dang fish we catch to talk, we'd be able to get this all figured out!

SilverBullets
03-20-2011, 05:14 PM
That might just towards supporting one of my dodger theories that the dodger means nothing more than sound through vibration and applied action to the lure. If we could get one of those dang fish we catch to talk, we'd be able to get this all figured out!

I also go by that line of thought. For years I've felt the vibration, action, and flash of the dodger was more important than the actual color. I try go by the right color combination for the depth I'm fishing but there are alot of times I leave the dodger alone and change out the lure to whatever color is catching fish. Some dodgers seem to go with all lure colors. I've actually gone a couple seasons in a row useing one dodger in particular because of it's success and have had all colors of lures on while useing it. From my experience with useing longer leaders than most while running Apex's the dodger is more to get them to your general area from far away...then it's the lure color and action that puts them in the cooler.

Excaliber
03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
I happen to mostly use pink/pink so I do match most of the time. FWG is a complete matching system and his site has some interesting info on why he matches dodger color with lures.

RMT's hyperplaid is used with any color hoochie behind it with great success so who knows if it really matters at all?
I think confidence has more to do with it than lure or dodger color.

platypus
03-21-2011, 03:14 AM
--I usually match... even when I used willow leaf... I had the rudder and first blade of the willow same or similar pattern as a trailing wobble spoon.

--Dodgers I mostly match like fishwithgary style

--Mini dodger I match with a tumbler lure.. it is a two blade spinner same colour pattern as the dodger...

--Where did you get the blade? I'm looking for that color exactly as a match for a mini dodger to make a tumbler lure... I currently use a crockadile style same colour match pattern as the Oki mini dodger jellyfish which although different is quite similar to the WTP style with the dots.

--The tumbler lure both spins and wobbles with two different sized spinner blades, haven't seen anything like it yet on line.

SuperD
03-21-2011, 10:29 AM
The blade is a #3 Colorado by Fishers Advantage that I got at Cabelas.

platypus
03-21-2011, 03:51 PM
The blade is a #3 Colorado by Fishers Advantage that I got at Cabelas.

--Thanks: sold out back ordered on USA Cabelas and not offered on Canadian site yet.
--will keep my eyes open that is exact colour and pattern I was looking for.

--Skaha lake froze over two days ago but ice off again today.. this time of year it often freezes overnight.. especially around the boat launches then clears off.. We usually fish trout this time of year but might get a try at kokanee...
--Will show picture of the tumbler blade set up when I get the new colour.. matched to mini dodger set up that I use here.

SilverBullets
03-22-2011, 04:30 PM
--Mini dodger I match with a tumbler lure.. it is a two blade spinner same colour pattern as the dodger...
--The tumbler lure both spins and wobbles with two different sized spinner blades, haven't seen anything like it yet on line.

Is this the tumbler lure your useing? These were sent to me by a member on another fishing site... could that be you skaha?

platypus
03-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Is this the tumbler lure your useing? These were sent to me by a member on another fishing site... could that be you skaha?

--For sure skaha or platypus are what I use for ID.

--The blade in the picture is exact match for Oki tackle mini dodger I think they call it jellyfish/purplehaze. I have a small crockodile or S curve lure in this same colour pattern I use with the Oki flasher.. I also use large Oki tackle spoons as dodgers for kokanee.

--We target kokanee 3lb plus.. only a few lakes where there are large numbers of these caught and seem to be not every year.
--Skaha lk last year mainly smaller fish and that is what showed up in the spawn in november .
--Should be out on Skaha soon to see what this year will bring.. if not have a few trips planned to other lakes depending on what my spies tell me.

quackster
03-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I obviously have too much time on my hands. My wife thinks I am crazy but what the hell. I don't know matching is important or not but I think these blades I made will work whether matched or not.

BorntoFish01
03-27-2011, 05:22 PM
nice job on the blades...did you tape the backs as well?

SilverBullets
03-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Great looking gear quackster! 101goodpost101

quackster
03-27-2011, 06:09 PM
nice job on the blades...did you tape the backs as well?

I did do a couple of them. I am not sure if the added weight from the tape will affect the blades ability to spin. If anyone else has taped willow leaf blades with success I like to know.

SilverBullets
03-27-2011, 06:48 PM
I did do a couple of them. I am not sure if the added weight from the tape will affect the blades ability to spin. If anyone else has taped willow leaf blades with success I like to know.

I've taped alot of different kinds of blades but always used holoform reflector tape. It's alot thinner and molds to the curvature of the blades. I really don't think you'll have issues once the blade gets spinning.

Bug_Spin_Dokta
04-04-2011, 12:33 AM
they look great Dave. Lemme know if your up for a Trade.

SuperD
04-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Here is a combo that will probably have to sit for a while but I might not be able to wait. This is my "Hot August Nights" combo for the lunker spawners.

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/1673/hotaugust3a.jpg

platypus
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
--If you wanted to go over to the dark side you could put a hook on the blade and catch a trout.
--I've seen similar colour combo spawning koke on a lyman plug.
--I feel it is OK for koke fishers to occasionally catch trout over 5 lbs to keep them from eating all the kokes.

SuperD
04-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I bet that spoon would make an awesome Mack lure!

platypus
04-12-2011, 10:51 AM
I bet that spoon would make an awesome Mack lure!

--I'm not sure what your regulations are where you fish...I've seen these rigged with hook on the large spoon.. (just in case big fish hits it) and trailing spinner.
--We would not be able to use this hook set up in BC.

johnboy
07-04-2011, 12:12 AM
The one black bead you have in front of the spinner blade might slow or stop the blade due to water pressure at troll speed. Have you tried it yet? How does it spin or better yet how does it catch? When building my tackle I am always tempted to place a bead in front too. Just wondering because the rig looks great.

SuperD
07-04-2011, 07:02 PM
johnboy, all my spinners get a bead in the front and I've never noticed a problem with the spin of the blade. I haven't run the red and black spinner yet as I was waiting to try it in late season when the kokes start to turn.

HiTechKoke
07-05-2011, 03:26 AM
I obviously have too much time on my hands. My wife thinks I am crazy but what the hell. I don't know matching is important or not but I think these blades I made will work whether matched or not.

All of our wives think we are crazy! Good looking tape jobs. I still use my kids custom tape and painted dodgers all the time. As for matching...never, except maybe when I go with copper, it drives the chicks wild! nananana

platypus
07-22-2011, 08:56 PM
--fishers advantage blades still on back order at cabelas.. any other sources?

SuperD
07-22-2011, 10:53 PM
--fishers advantage blades still on back order at cabelas.. any other sources?
The only other source I've seen with that blade carried it in a size 5 or 6.