PDA

View Full Version : Inter-Coat for Createx

ReelJerks
03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Are you using Createx #5601 Transparent Base or something else?

Edd

Pogue
03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't know if this is right, but I'm using rattle can primer with a coat of opaque white as a base. I haven't found the base coat locally yet.

Rob

ReelJerks
03-16-2011, 11:38 AM
What I'm looking for Pogue is an 'inter'coat. A clear coat you would apply between layers. For instance when I do flames on my dodgers and spoons in 3 or 4 colors, I like to protect/lock each layer. That way if something goes wrong, I don't lose the whole project, just the last application.

Also on your base. I was using Krylon flat white. Beware, you can NOT wash the water base pearls off of this base. They stain and you need to re-shoot base.

Gonna visit the hobby store and try a bottle of Createx 5601 clear base.

Edd

Silver Streak
03-16-2011, 01:18 PM
You can use an acylic clear in spray can...krylon, etc.

Silver Streak
03-16-2011, 01:19 PM
You can use an acrylic clear coat such as Krylon, etc.

Tim

Pogue
03-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Ahh, I see. I guess I read through your post too fast. I have been using the Createx gloss clear top-coat to protect the finish just before the permanent top-coat, I would think it would work for you also.

Silver Streak - I don't know what top-coat you are using, but I do know that DN (moisture cure) does not like aeresol spray!! I tried a few of the clear sprays and not one of them worked under the DN.

Silver Streak
03-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Yea, DN, or at least the original formula, is sensitive. On plugs and cranks I sometimes use an acrylic clear over the createx (heat set) and than use Devcon for finish coat. On spoons & blades/dodgers I don't use the acrylic I just dip in DN...but I'm also looking for something other than DN moisture cure that's easier for dipping. I've tried an automotive lacquer and it just wasn't hard enough AND it wasn't "worm proof". Suggestions anyone???

ReelJerks
03-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Krylon has an ill effect on my fluorescent paint. Sort of dulls the pop. I guess I'll go with the Createx 5601. At least it's cheap!

RJ