PDA

View Full Version : dworshak reservoir kokanee, any reports?

fishingmom
03-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Just wondering if anyone has fished or heard of a report out of dworshak???

BorntoFish01
03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
I was wondering the same thing Sue....if the kokes up there were decent size and active, it might be worth a trip [possible tilla?] for them and some of those hawg smallies that Dworshak is know for.

fishingmom
03-13-2011, 04:40 PM
i just hope they are bigger then they have been - you can't beat the scenery up there though - plan to spend a day up there in the next few weeks...article in todays lewiston tribune talks about the loss of 'tens of thousands of fish' (kokanee) from being flushed thru the dam, you can salvage as many kokanee as you can carry and collect either dead or live fish right now below the dam....spring break for me the first of april, considering a couple day trip to lake roosevelt for kokanee.

3RivrFishr
03-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Dworshak could actually benefit from flushing tens of thousand fish. Theoretically speaking that will mean more food for the ones that didnt go over the wall and that could mean bigger fish. Personally I wouldve been happier had they flushed a hundred of thousand. Upwards of a million kokes in that lake are competing for what food there is for them. It is nearly time for an expedition. Went in March last year but it think I'll wait till the water warms a bit. That way if the kokanee are disappointing I can catch the new state record smallmouth.

fishingmom
03-20-2011, 08:14 PM
good points ron...we are on the calendar for next wkend to give it a go if the weather behaves :)

LILFISHER
03-21-2011, 12:04 AM
It is nearly time for an expedition. Went in March last year but it think I'll wait till the water warms a bit. That way if the kokanee are disappointing I can catch the new state record smallmouth.

Pansy lets go! Gota catch the first bass of the year sometime. LILnananana

fishingmom
04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
any dworshak news?

fishslayer13
04-10-2011, 04:16 PM
went out last saturday and caught 20 in about 2 hours.
smallest was 7" and the biggest was 11".

caught most on an agitator flasher ( hot spot) hyper plaid color with a spinner that had red body and a french blade with green on top and red on the underside of the blade.
Fished right straight acrosss from the freeman creek ramp were the little creek comes in. The water there was warmer at 47 degrees.

Went yesterday and broke down my truck in Orofino and had to redo the rear brakes by the time we were done with that we only fished an hour and didnt get a hit, but was 4 PM by then.

Water is super low ! Lowest Ive ever seen.

fishingmom
04-10-2011, 05:43 PM
appreciate the report, planned for yesterday but forecast showed more wind then i care to be out in so waiting for a better day - sounds like there is hope for some better sized fish this year....

fishingmom
06-06-2011, 02:09 PM
fished dworshak yesterday, gorgeous day, 60' below full pool and 62 degree water - picked up 12 kokanee all around 9", no size to them,, mostly all on a green hootchie loaded with pink berkley maggots, live maggots and corn and smothered in red power bait too - the hot rod was the middle one with 1 1/2 ounces of weight running about 55' of line out, ran 2 downriggers a while at all depths but seemed to just do better with a weight on by themselves,,,,did well between indian canyon and canyon creek going all the way across to the freeman creek side zig zagging back and forth, also a few in front of the freeman creek boat ramp - will be back for a wkend boat-in camping trip in 3 weeks so hoping they stretch out a bit in the meantime :)

fishslayer13
06-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Yeah dworshak has been slow here lately. I havent gone in two weeks. but you did way better than I did my last 2 trips combined. Man they took so much water out of there this year for run off it may not be good at all this year.
Hope Im wrong. I wonder if they will start leting water out July 5 th like they always do. The lake will just be full about that time.
Sounds like you had a little fun anyway, its about time we had a nice day or two for weather around here.

fishingmom
06-07-2011, 09:01 PM
the sheriff patrol said it has been slow...this is a good link below for water levels and other info, the 1-800 reservoir level boat ramp info number has not worked at all this spring
http://www.dworshak.org/