PDA

View Full Version : The Apex Lure

SilverBullets
10-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I thought I'd share some of the modifications I do to these lures, and some of my experiences with them over the years. I've had great success with them. The lures I use are the Pro-Troll Kokanee Killer, the Hot Spot Apex, and the Gibbs Hockey Stick.
I re-rig them with 8lb. Maxima, and use a long leader between lure and dodger for the clear water and slow speeds the koks prefer where I fish. I always rig them with double gamis, and use 3 or 4 glow beads in size 4-5 in between lure and hook. Some I've drilled an extra hole to rig for slower speeds and to produce a different action. The line is then ran through 3 holes toward the bottom, and the top hole left blank.
The majority of them have been changed useing holographic, ultra violet, glitter, fish-scale, and holoform reflective tapes. I've painted some also, and incorporate contrasting colored dots. Some have a hoochie tail added by cutting the head off the hoochie and sliding it up the back of the Apex... the "Hoochie Devil". By useing a bobber stop, I can adjust the hook set back to the trailing hooks. This gets the corn swinging pretty good! Most days they prefer these altered lures over the store bought ones where I fish.
I use colors for the different depths in the water column, and tend to stick with two contrasting colors, but some have up to five different colors applied. Generally all you have to do is find what color or pattern they prefer from day to day and hour to hour. As you probably know, don't think they should run like a flat fish, they are very erratic, and you want a roll every now and then. Too much corn can mess up their action. I get alot of fish while either making a turn, speed change, or right after a depth adjustment with the downriggers. In my opinion, they follow and commit when the action changes. I don't really have much faith in the "E" chip on the Protroll lure, but between it and the Hot-Spot Apex there is a little different action, and some days they will prefer one over the other.
The way I apply the tape is to start with roughing the surface up and doing the tape in 3 sections because of the curvature of the lure. You can then add a small contrasting color tape on top of this, and finish with a couple coats of clear acrylic gloss. As far as painting them, I've used the vinyl lure and jig paint and top coat with good results...just remember not to add too much paint, as this can effect the action.

TopFuelKokanee
10-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the report. I'm anxious to try some of the apex lures I have gathered, but will try some of the modifications you have suggested. It you have any pictures you can email me, I'd be happy to post them for you.

SilverBullets
10-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the report. I'm anxious to try some of the apex lures I have gathered, but will try some of the modifications you have suggested. It you have any pictures you can email me, I'd be happy to post them for you.

Thanks for the offer TopFuel, but I guess I'm behind the times and old school. I'm not really into the new gadgets, still use a disposable camera. Don't laugh, I have a cd player in my truck (don't own any cd's though) :eek: Hey, at least I'm past the 8 track phase!

Full_Monte
10-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the offer TopFuel, but I guess I'm behind the times and old school. I'm not really into the new gadgets, still use a disposable camera. Don't laugh, I have a cd player in my truck (don't own any cd's though) :eek: Hey, at least I'm past the 8 track phase!

Silver Bullets....you are incorrect...you are on the cutting edge of Koke fishing and you obviously know how to turn on a computer. I see a digital camera in your future!

Anybody who has 150 lures of a single kind must really believe in them. I'm amazed.

Excuse my ignorance...I used to fish for king salmon in salt water. We sometimes used Apex lures. I just inherited some from my Dad. They are 4 inches or so long. Are you using a smaller version of this? What size are they? Thanks!