PDA

View Full Version : Skaha Kokanee Pictures

platypus
03-07-2011, 02:37 PM
--Skaha Kokanee pictures Note.... the red guy was caught on the fly as part of a research project

Bluknight
03-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Nice looking kokes you all got up there! I really like the spawning phase one - great colors.

platypus
03-07-2011, 11:30 PM
--spawn phase was a skaha lk kokanee caught in channel. no rivers in BC are open to kokanee fishing... this was part of a research project to gather information on health and numbers of skaha lk kokes.
--so rare photo op.

platypus
03-22-2011, 01:52 PM
--Probably not the best day for fishing... no wind crystal clear water.. great day for boating on Skaha.
--On these days no wind slight overcast.. you can see your lure for some distance in the water..
--This is when I test many lures and dodgers as you can see how they work at different speeds and fine tune... length to hoockie, weight placement.
--Some flashers will wobble more like a sling blade at lower speeds, this can be a useful presentation.

platypus
09-06-2011, 01:21 AM
-only a few small kokanee this year out of skaha for me.. they should be spawning soon so don't expect much size wise but expect to get a few days in.
--Osoyoos had a short sockeye opening... these may have access to skaha in a few years so might get a late summer salmon fishery.
--I hope its not the sockeye in skaha that because of the numbers are affecting kokanee size... maybe I'm just not fishing as hard as I used to but haven't got anything of size lately.

--fish ladders for kokanee are in on penticton creek for okanagan lk lokanee.. spawn bed is raked and cleaned.. waiting.. expect to see a few early kokes there now.

--salmon runs thompson... okanagan have been late this year but some picking up now.

platypus
09-06-2011, 01:23 AM
--Is no one fishing in BC?
--Would be nice to see some reports here on this season and thought for next.

Cariboospeed
09-07-2011, 04:51 AM
I get out om my little lake occasionally, Ten Mile, near Quesnel same routine, same lures. Bought a down rigger and have been trying one line just a 000 flasher and lure, and the same rig down 25-30'. Finding I get bigger fish deeper, but getting used to the release and keeping them on when they hit is challenging.

platypus
09-10-2011, 06:49 PM
-due to seasonally high water approx 1000 sockeye have returned to skaha lk.
-they cannot usually acess skaha due to a flood control dam which has been in place for many years.
--While the sockeye salmon run this year isn’t expect to be as strong as the huge return last year, it’s still expected to bring a lot of fish back to the spawning beds in the Okanagan River.

According to Howie Wright, a fisheries biologist with the Okanagan Nation Alliance:they are expecting 70,000 to 100,000 of them at the spawning beds.

Some of them are making it into Skaha Lake. (based on news report interview global tv)

--This is a good news/bad news story for kokanee fishers in Skaha as studies are supposed to be completed prior to the re-introduction of sockeye to the system.
--It is appearing more and more that the studies are not going to be the basis for re-introduction... unless of course the findings support re-introduction.

platypus
07-24-2012, 10:47 AM
--not getting volume from Skaha but a few quality fish per trip makes it worth while. weather has been stromy all season so main problem has been staying on the water.

SuperD
07-24-2012, 02:05 PM
--not getting volume from Skaha but a few quality fish per trip makes it worth while. weather has been stromy all season so main problem has been staying on the water.

That is indeed a quality looking fish. The kind that bring s one back to try again!

Bduck
07-24-2012, 09:02 PM
I agree with SuperD. Quality will keep you coming back. thumbsup