PDA

View Full Version : Riffe Lake?

smokercraft
03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
I dont see anyone talking about riffe or alder. Im starting to go crazy being stuck inside and cant wait to get on the water. Has anyone fished either of these lakes recently, and if so how did it go?

gloomis2641
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I fished Riffe two weeks ago launching at the tacoma city light park and running across to the cliffs and between two of us we landed 5 coho in the 15-17" range and 3 rainbows in the 18-20" range on custom dodgers and hootchies and homemade spinners the wind was pretty rough and it was slow going with a few lost to long line releases but it should heat up in the next month or so if they start adding a little water to the lake. Everyone fishes infront of the dam and along the north shore but in my experience the better quality fish for me generally come from further up the lake towards the barrels and the small bays around rainy creek and the base of peterman hill towards morton.

eenakoK
03-07-2011, 02:25 PM
I can't wait to get back down there! I went for my first time last year and had a blast. I look forward to the posts about Riffe Lake!

Mav186
03-07-2011, 02:30 PM
I can't wait to get back down there! I went for my first time last year and had a blast. I look forward to the posts about Riffe Lake!

It was my first year at Riffe last year too. We did pretty well the 3 times I fished it...things might be a little later this year than last, but can't wait!

smokercraft
03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Awesome, I cant wait to get out there. Ive caught kokanee off the bank at the top of the dam with a slip bobber, salad shrimp and a piece of worm but this year I finally have a boat worthy of Riffe, with down riggers and I cant wait to see it in action. What is the best gear to troll with on Riffe anyways? Does anyone have site specific knowledge. If so It would be GREATLY APPREACHIATED

BobW
03-10-2011, 11:56 PM
I know this is my first post, and I'm not trying to be a jerk. But there are no kokes in Rife lake. Just landlocked silvers.

eenakoK
03-11-2011, 12:30 AM
yup, and those silvers tasted great!

Mav186
03-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Awesome, I cant wait to get out there. Ive caught kokanee off the bank at the top of the dam with a slip bobber, salad shrimp and a piece of worm but this year I finally have a boat worthy of Riffe, with down riggers and I cant wait to see it in action. What is the best gear to troll with on Riffe anyways? Does anyone have site specific knowledge. If so It would be GREATLY APPREACHIATED

Homemade wedding ring type spinners and a 4/0 dodger worked well for me Smoker! I'd have to look back on my notes for more details...but that was the basics.

Kokanee Kid
03-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Same gear we use for kokes works great for the coho there! Wedding ring spinners, mini squid, and spoons all work good. As far as bait worms, white corn, shrimp, and gulp maggots all work too. Went quite a few times last year and had a blast and caught lots of fish thumbsup

smokercraft
03-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all your info. I'm not sure if the weather is always this bad this time of year. Maybe it seems worse because I have a new boat and I didn't pay attention last year butt I cant wait to try all of your tips. I may even see some of you out there this summer. Look for a smoker craft with Honda's and an awesome wife. If you say hello Ill give you a beer on ice for sure.

Kokanee Kid
03-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Be sure to keep an eye on the weather out there. The wind can kick up and things can get sloppy in a hurry.

BobW
03-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Wife and I will be camped there over Memorial day. New 16 foot Alumacraft and Merc motors.

southside
03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
I have inlaws who live in Morton and I am thinking of dragging my 15' smokercraft alaskan up there and give it a go.

I have a downrigger and a two pole tag for Washington that expires the end of this month so I need to get out.

Asking for some input on where to put in and all the stuff a guy might need to fish Mayfield and Riffe lakes.

Any input to get me started will get you some good karma from the fish gods. worthy12

Thanks!! Tom

Duroboat Rider
03-25-2011, 08:32 PM
There are a few places to launch. One is over by Mossyrock near the dam. The water is low probably may need 4x4 action due to the silt and other muck at the bottom of the ramp. A pair of hip boots is a must this time of year dropping the boat in. The other launches are on the far east side of the lake. Kosmos is 5 miles east of Morton look for Kosmos road. Its the north launch. Taidnapam launch is on the other side of Dog Mountain. Depending upon water levels these may be open or not.

I have heard of successful fishing on the northern side by the Kosmos launch using hoochies, Pink and Green with a dodger tipped with gulp maggots or corn. Use your electronics to watch bottom levels. Fish should be in the upper 25 feet or so this time of year. Troll slow also .9 to 1.5 yet be early the wind picks up and you can experience white caps pretty quick.

Those Silvers are fun and are feisty fish and great eating!!!! Good Luck out there!!!!! 101chromefish101

Kokanee-Toni
06-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Are there steelhead in Riffe Lake?

TrollNFisher
06-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Me and the wife drove down to the park in mossy rock and a dock is in the water attached is a photo. Was taken today at noon.

smokercraft
06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Thats great! Thanks for the pic. How was the fishing anyways?

TrollNFisher
06-14-2011, 11:21 PM
didn't fish just want to verify the launch was in the water, me and the wife kinda took a sunday drive

TrollNFisher
06-18-2011, 01:12 AM
17 June 2011 started 1330-1830. My son and I went to Riffe today be honest fishing was rough. There is a lot of floating debris so beware, as I was trolling along and a ski boat came by me at 50mph at least and he hit a bobber (floating log uprite) and limped his boat to the dock. We were running 2 rods off the riggers, and one free lined out the back. We caught 10 silvers and kept 4 and carefully released 6. All fish were caught 20-40 feet down, trolling speed was 1.2-1.7. Water Temp was 55.3. Biggest fish was 15 inches, but it was a beautiful day nice and sunny.

smokercraft
06-21-2011, 10:59 PM
thanks for your info, feel sorry for that boat LOL! nothing worse than people flying bye when your fishingnananana

Duroboat Rider
06-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Well I took out the boss on Tuesday and slowly motored over towards the Dam due to all the log mines. Threw everything I had in my box of tricks. Only landed 7 with two only around 13 inches. The rest looked like plants. I fished from the top all the way down to 50 ft. Found a few at 30ft.

Last year at this time I was smoking em, yet the water temp was only 56 degrees. Water was clear and the sun was shinning so not bad to just be on the water.101chromefish101

smokercraft
06-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the report! I just heard somthing about a ton of coho this time of year att the top end of the lake,at the mouth of the river,under the bridge. I guess the trick is YELLOW corn and nuked shrimp. He said if you do that you cant go wronge??????? Its hear say!

Kokanee Kid
06-29-2011, 12:55 PM
May of last year we started hammering the fish! And this year havent even tried due to the poor reports. The water is down and still cold. Will it turn around?

smokercraft
07-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Ill bett its worming up now! Were headed down in a fiew weeks and Ill be sure to post a report.

TrollNFisher
07-07-2011, 09:16 PM
7 July 2011, Duroboat Rider of the forum met me at the house and off to riffe we went. Launched the boat at mossy rock water is high all of the launches are almost in the water. We fished 0500 and fished till 1130 we got 10 good silvers nothing to brag about but we had to carefully CR about a ton little ones. Yep we landed that many fish. There was no easy way to keep them off your line it was almost a nuisance. Water temp was 61.3 and trolling speed was 1.7 to 1.8 we tried every depth to try to keep little fish off the lines but it was near impossible. Baits used were RMT squid chartreuse/pink, father murphy's glow bugs and various hand tied hoochies in glow, pink, yellow, and chartreuse with a Vance's dodger. Lots of fun on the water and a wet misty morning, and I left the top at home anticipating a sunny morning, that won't happen again this year. Log jam is gone!!! fish on

smokercraft
07-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Sounds like a blast. Glad to hear the water is up and the logs are down.Thanks for all your info!

mwcfish4life
01-04-2012, 07:08 PM
to Bobw, yes there are sockeye kokes in riffe lake, fish a little harder

mwcfish4life
01-04-2012, 09:19 PM
there is to kokenee (sockeye) in riffe lake

Kokanee-mark
01-04-2012, 09:47 PM
I hate to bud into the riffe lake conversation but according to the state there landlocked coho only in riffe lake. Sorry my two cents also.

Kokanee-mark
01-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Northwest wild country radio show did a segment on riffe to clear up any confusion that these fish are landlocked coho. Anyways lets catch em they taste great!

BobW
01-05-2012, 09:01 AM
I started fishing that lake the day it first opened (when the dam was new). Man am I getting old. There are NO Kokes you can fish as hard as you like.

How about a pic of one. Don't forget something to prove where it came from.

mwcfish4life
01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
fished this weekend got into a bunch of crimson fish (sock) start fishing

mwcfish4life
01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/featuredlake.aspx?id=147 here is a koke statement

mwcfish4life
01-05-2012, 11:20 AM
u can take all the pics you want but you can catch that fish anywhere, i'm only telling you and giving you the chance to enjoy, take it or leave it. ihave also fished riffe and many, many, other places in this state for more years then most can count didnt mean too rill you, hope you do catch em bobbers and down riggers down

BobW
01-05-2012, 01:09 PM
You know what, I also saw that one post. I could post a number of others that do NOT include kokes as what is in Riffe lake. And as stated above that would include WDFW info.

I was in fact pretty sure that is what you were using as proof.

I know full well what a koke looks like. I now live 1 block from the main launch on American lake and fish it all the time during the week when I get home from work. I have a freezer full on American lake kokes.

THERE ARE NO LANDLOCKED SOCKEYE IN RIFE LAKE

Done with this.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Riffe_lake.htm

http://www.westernwashington.com/recreation/daytrips/riffelk.php

http://www.gamefishin.com/rpts/Reports.asp?State=WA&County=Lewis&Body=Riffe%20Lake

Just to get you started

dutch
02-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm new to the forum, been fishing Riffe for many years. This time of year the water is usually extremely low. We did really good last year, limited with fair sized fish each time. Usually start after fishing falls off at Merwin.

eenakoK
02-18-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm new to the forum, been fishing Riffe for many years. This time of year the water is usually extremely low. We did really good last year, limited with fair sized fish each time. Usually start after fishing falls off at Merwin.

Welcome! to the site! 101welcomw

Thanks for the information. When do you start fishing the lake on a regular basis?

dutch
02-19-2012, 10:53 AM
I usually start checking lake levels in April and as soon as the ramp at the dam is usable, I start fishing. Then at least once per week until they lower the water.
I have down riggers but usually find they are not necessary, catch fish in the first 10-15 feet.

eenakoK
02-19-2012, 07:47 PM
I usually start checking lake levels in April and as soon as the ramp at the dam is usable, I start fishing. Then at least once per week until they lower the water.
I have down riggers but usually find they are not necessary, catch fish in the first 10-15 feet.

Thanks for the Info! I want to make it down there this year again.

kokanee_slayer
02-20-2012, 09:31 PM
As for Alder Lake, I'm not an expert on the lake but Tacoma Power supposedly stocks it pretty heavy with Koks. I've done OK there but haven't caught anything of significant size.