PDA

View Full Version : Northwest KFF Family Day 2011

MackPrince
03-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Hi everyone,
Kokonuts and I will start collaborating soon about planning this year's get together. This will be our third annual event for a day of comradare and story telling.

Last year we met the last weekend in June to give us a chance to try out some promos and add new favorites to the tackle box shopping list. In 2009 we met mid -July.

For curiosity's sake, would you rather plan a last weekend in June event again, or aim for a later July/early August gathering at Merwin or Yale.

- June gives a chance to hear some tips mid season.
- Late summer has bigger fish.
- Yale - Daily limit 15, avg size 11-15" (Usually the less crowded lake because it's 10 minutes further down the road)
- Merwin - Daily limit 5, avg fish in July 13-18"

I'm burning the midnight oil with more grad school for now, but come May 6 my term will be over an I'll be able to put some time into the prep work.

In any event we hope you can join us. It's always a great day of filling open seats, swappin "true" tales of fish gone by, and hanging out with family and new friends pot-luck style.
-Mack and Kokonuts

Kokonuts
03-07-2011, 10:53 AM
I cant wait for the season to start!!

I think having the Family Day in June at Yale Lake is a great idea, we have plenty of time to plan, test all the latest gear & even catch a few before then!

Be sure to vote & spread the word !

Kokonuts tooexcited

DLM
03-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Last Saturday in June works best for me. I have never attended one of these before but it sounds like fun and would like to fit it in to an already hectic summer schedule.

Don't forget the derby dates for those that like to partake in that action.

GP June 11
Wickiup July 23
Odell August 20.

Get'nJiggy
03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Late June at Yale sounds good. Looking forward to it again this year!

Mav186
03-07-2011, 09:43 PM
I will do my best to attend if at all possible! I cast my vote and will sit back and wait. Let's see...do I want to fish in a beautiful place, in great weather conditions, with like minded (fish nuts!) folks...you bet!!!

oldguy43
03-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Hows camping around yale lake ?

Koke-n-a-smile
03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm in for the last Sat in June too. thumbsup Hopefully this year we can catch more fish! I look forward to seeing everyone again.

lowe1648mt
03-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Hows camping around yale lake ?

There is a small camp ground at Couger. it's just east of town. A few miles further is a larger camp ground. that is the one Iv'e used. It's at the other end of the lake from the dam. Last years meeting site was about in the middle of the lake.

Kokonuts
03-09-2011, 01:07 AM
There is another real nice campground at the upper end of Lake Merwin and its about 1 mile from the Dam & Launch ramp at Yale Lake. That way you could fish both lakes if you have the time. Sorry I cant think of the name of it but its the only overnite campground at Lake Merwin.

Kokonuts

Koke-n-a-smile
03-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Kokonuts, you are thinking of Cresap Bay campground. That is a nice campground, with a pretty decent launch site. Directly across from the entrance is Beaver Bay, which is another launch site for Yale, but I haven't used that one. I can't wait to get out theretooexcited

king koke
03-16-2011, 06:34 PM
I vote for all the above. signfishin101cheers101

king koke
03-16-2011, 06:36 PM
ment to vote merwin only

Duroboat Rider
03-20-2011, 11:42 PM
June date is good to get more people involved as well as training time. Later dates due to the larger Pink season coming up could take away a lot of numbers.

yimmee
03-26-2011, 09:50 AM
last saturday in june works for me, i like merwin. But i will fish anywhere101ok101

Wacenturion
04-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Sounds like fun.......

oldguy43
04-08-2011, 08:30 PM
thanks on the come back on campgrounds I vote for late june

hot rod
04-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I vote for late June at Yale it was good last year.

TrollNFisher
04-10-2011, 06:56 PM
June sounds good to me, although I have to check my work schedule as sometimes things come up. I would like to come and meet everyone.

Thanks

Kokaneegal
04-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Can't make it in June. Will be at Paulina!!

MackPrince
05-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Looks like the last Saturday in June wins. Grad school is over for the summer, so stay tuned for more details!

MackPrince
05-08-2011, 02:41 AM
I was able to connect with Kokonuts today, and in light of the tight voting for location we decided on Yale Lake, June 25th.

Two years ago we tried a gathering at Merwin (Speelyai) and half of the people were unable to get into the park because of a full parking lot and tight camp hosts. Last year we had a wonderful time at Yale and enjoyed the relaxed park and ample parking.

For anyone who can make it, this will be a great time for all. Families are welcome and often there are empty seats that are waiting to be filled. There is no official derby associated with this event, (at least not this year) but we may have some verified scales available and the focus is really on networking and swapping fish stories.

Yale has several camp grounds for those of you who would like to tent it, or there are some hotel options in nearby Woodland, Vancouver, or Portland. For more information on the lake, recreation and lodging check out www.lewisriver.com

The ramp at Yale Park opens at 5:00a.m. and we will gather at 12:00 for our pot-luck. I'm guessing that I'll be there no later than 5:30 to claim some tables and a covered area.

If you are planning to come please post a response so we can plan accordingly. -Mack and Kokonuts

Koke-n-a-smile
05-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Hey guys, thanks for putting this together! I will be theretooexcited I will try and talk a few of my friends into coming too. Should be a great time, hopefully we can get a little sunshine!

Get'nJiggy
05-09-2011, 03:26 PM
We'll be there! Looking forward to it again.

Koke Hunter
05-09-2011, 10:53 PM
As long as work doesn't get in the way I will be there. I will be living near Saddle Dam by that time.

king koke
05-11-2011, 06:51 PM
count my son and I in signfishin signfishin

lowe1648mt
05-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I plan on making the trip again this year. I will be at Beaver Bay Camp Ground the 23rd thru the 26th. I will bring the better half.

Woodcanoeguy
05-13-2011, 07:21 PM
I will sure try to attend. Couldnt get in the Merwin park two yrs ago and was out of town last year.

MackPrince
05-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Just a quick roster check:
MackPrince
Kokonuts
DLM
Get n' Jiggy
Koke-n-a-smile
King Koke
Koke Hunter
Woodcanoeguy
Carvingfish
Lowe1648mt

Please add a post if you are planning on attending June 25th. Mmm, pot luck, story swappin', and fish floppin' I can't wait. -Mack

yimmee
05-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Food and fish, I WILL BE THERE !

Mudinchev
05-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Just saw this......at this point that week end looks free. I would love to come and learn more, and my son, well he would remember any bit of advice any one would share with him, he is a fishing fanatic! It sounds like a good time! I'm not sure I can talk the wife and daughter into tagging along but at this point count on at least 2 here.

Kokonuts
05-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Its Getting Closer!! I am looking forward to meeting all of you at Yale Lake on the 25th!!
I was fishing with Kent Cannon at the Lake Stevens Derby last weekend & He has given me 2 of his new books "Kokanee Obsession" to give away on Family Day!! His book is full of new info & Kent is a great guy to fish with! Check out his site at: www.kentcannon.com

Kokonuts.......

William Dewey
05-28-2011, 05:01 AM
William Dewey and kok fishing buddy from Eastern Washington Don Erickson
will attend and fish both lakes.

hot rod
06-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I'll be there

MackPrince
06-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Looks like we have a great size for the gathering. Now comes the commitment part. Don't worry no rings attached, just a tentative pot-luck offering list.

First -I'm opting for sandwiches and pot luck sides since even though I love to grill, with a group this size someone will get stuck cooking while everyone else mingles. Is this okay?

We'll need:

Plates
Utensils
Napkins
Bread/Buns
Lunchmeat
Condiments
Chips
Desserts
Salads
Other

Drinks are BYOB unless you'd like to share. The park is 'dry'.

Second - If you have an open seat, we may have some takers.

Thank you to Kokanee Creek Tackle Company, Vance's Tackle, and Bugeye Lures for your support.

Please post what you are willing to bring to what my wife refers to as my "party." Woo hoo, it's just three weeks away!
-Mack

Kokonuts
06-15-2011, 11:42 AM
The June 25th Family Day Is getting close!

We need to know who is comming and how many people in your party, also what you are planning to bring for lunch.

Send a PM to Kokonuts mememe

MackPrince
06-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Kokonuts and I just connected and after getting some feedback from some of the group here is the plan...

For the picnic we will get a meat and cheese deli tray from Costco, condiments, bread and chips, etc. To help cover the cost we'll have an honor system jar for collecting $3-4.00 each. Please bring your own drink. If you would like to bring a salad/dessert/treat that would be great.

Please PM me or Kokonuts soon so we can get a count of how many people will be attending.

Thanks

yimmee
06-17-2011, 09:04 AM
sounds great. What are the time of this? sorry if i missed it some where.

MackPrince
06-17-2011, 11:18 AM
sounds great. What are the time of this? sorry if i missed it some where.

12:00 - 2:00pm Picnic

Park opens 5:00am closes at dusk

The wind often starts at sunrise and lasts until about 9:00. If it's choppy when you get there don't be discouraged2cents

DLM
06-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Unfortunatly I will not be able to attend. I had started making plans to be there and was just about to let you know I was coming, now find out I will be out of town on business all that week and Saturday. The only good part about that is that the business takes me to Reno. Always a silver lining I guess.

Mudinchev
06-17-2011, 02:31 PM
12:00 - 2:00pm Picnic

Park opens 5:00am closes at dusk

The wind often starts at sunrise and lasts until about 9:00. If it's choppy when you get there don't be discouraged2cents

Great........Wind is my worst enemy right now, my current set up is virtually impossible to deal with more than a nice breeze. Oh well....it still beats a good day at work!

TrollNFisher
06-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I will be able to attend, look forward to meeting everyone.

Koke Hunter
06-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Looks like I am in as planned. I am moving to a home just a few miles from Yale so after the get together I can leave the boat at the new place and say I was "moving it". I haven't had my boat out this year so I hope my batteries and such won't let me down. If my boat has any issues I will at least be there to meet everyone at lunch time. I will bring cookies and try to get there nice and early. I fly in the evening before after working away all week so not much time to prep.

See you there!

Russ

Mudinchev
06-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Seeing as how I had never fished Yale I thought I would give it a try today. We didnt get an early start today, my kids wanted to make me fathers day pancakes with their special Grist Mill flower so we didnt end up getting on the water untill about 9:30. The wind was kind of nasty but for once it actually helped me learn something. Faster was better than slower! With my current set up I dont have throttle control at the helm I just have the kicker tied to the jet out drive for steering. Rather than give up I fired up the big motor for a little extra push, in neutral I still travel at about 3mph. As soon as I gaind some speed the fish started hitting. I ran the big motor along with the little motor into the wind and cut back to the small motor going with the wind. Worked great! Then the wind died down for a while so I went back to the small motor and we stopped getting bites. Long story short if we were in the fish and traveling 2-3 mph (on the fish finder) we didnt have time to even eat a snack it was signfishin . We had 3 doubles landed 17 lost at least 10 and threw a couple of small ones back. So the secret for the day was GO FAST! Cant wait for next week end to see how you guys that actually know what you are doing do it.

SilverBullets
06-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Long story short if we were in the fish and traveling 2-3 mph (on the fish finder) we didnt have time to even eat a snack it was signfishin . We had 3 doubles landed 17 lost at least 10 and threw a couple of small ones back. So the secret for the day was GO FAST! Cant wait for next week end to see how you guys that actually know what you are doing do it.

Interesting... What type of lure and terminal gear were you running?

lowe1648mt
06-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Great........Wind is my worst enemy right now, my current set up is virtually impossible to deal with more than a nice breeze. Oh well....it still beats a good day at work!

I saw an earlier post about an open seat. Guess I'll See if I can find it for you. Beats sitting on shore because of wind.

Mudinchev
06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Interesting... What type of lure and terminal gear were you running?

Back to the basics on this one, a small set of 4 blade lake trolls worked the best along with a red wedding ring tipped with a worm. I was fishing 1 dodger and 1 lake troll and both were producing and then the dodger quit producing so I switched it over to a 4 blade troll and it started getting hits again. I was running leaded line with only 3 colors out so my best guess is about 15 feet deep at that speed. I re-tied all of my wedding rings with a double hook and used both hooks to keep the worm spread out. It seemed if the worm was gone so was the fish, I was going to try corn and gulp maggots but with action like that I couldn't bring my self mess with a good thing.

MackPrince
06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
I've got plenty of paper plates and napkins.

Weather forecast is low around 50, high around 67, light winds of 5mph.
101eatdrink101101eatdrink101

Mudinchev
06-21-2011, 11:00 PM
So for us "new guys" I assume most will be showing up sometime early in the morning and heading out on the water. Just wondering how we will know who is who, is there a secret hand shake, funny hats or some way to recognize people? Especially on the water, just want to make sure I use all five fingers to wave when I see ya. golucky

yimmee
06-22-2011, 07:58 AM
I was thinking i was going to tape a little sign to my windshield withe YIMMEE on it. im in a tan smoker craft with merks on it.

MackPrince
06-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Mudinchev - just for you I'll wear a blaze orange hat on the water in case we don't see each other before hitting the lake. 101ok101

I'll be at the launch between 5-5:30 and will hang some KFF signs at the covered area. My green Armada aka "The Tank" is flagged with a KFF sticker and I'll be bummin a boat ride with Matt on his white North River with "Get'n Jiggy" on the side.

Kokonuts has a white Hewes with a mile long antena named "She's so fine." (not sure if King Koke will be with him or in his lime green v-hull)

Koke-n-a-smile has a boat similar to Yimee. (I think his is a 17 ft. Lowe)

Lowe1648mt has an olive green Lowe 1648. nananana

We'll wave with all five fingers... as you troll by at 3 mph.

Get'nJiggy
06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I'll grab 2 or 3 extra large bags of chips.......

Mudinchev
06-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Mudinchev - just for you I'll wear a blaze orange hat on the water in case we don't see each other before hitting the lake. 101ok101

I'll be at the launch between 5-5:30 and will hang some KFF signs at the covered area. My green Armada aka "The Tank" is flagged with a KFF sticker and I'll be bummin a boat ride with Matt on his white North River with "Get'n Jiggy" on the side.

Kokonuts has a white Hewes with a mile long antena named "She's so fine." (not sure if King Koke will be with him or in his lime green v-hull)

Cool I like Hi-vis targets.......I figure going that fast I will just lap every one enough times to see how it is really suppose to be done. Then I will slow down, I wouldn't want any one to get dizzy. Hopefully I will have my speed control issue dealt with by then, new toy is suppose to be in tomorrow and I will get it installed Friday night. I know what Kokonuts boat looks like I met him at Merwin (that's how I found this place). Here is my floating money pit.

Kokonuts
06-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I have room for 2 on Sat June 25th at Yale!

I will try to be at the "Starting Gate" by 5:00 on Sat.

Send PM if you can make it!!

Kokonuts signfishin

king koke
06-22-2011, 08:39 PM

I have upgraded to 1962 14ft with a 1964 evinrude 9.9 tooexcited

Koke-n-a-smile
06-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Mine is a 17' tan and blue Smokercraft. Yimmie will be the one catching all of the fish, he is slaying them up thereworthy12 I will be looking to follow him around and pick up the ones he missesthumbsup I had to get a new battery, so I am just hoping everything works, otherwise I will have to start eating earlythumbsup

chief
06-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Count me in can't wait

Mudinchev
06-23-2011, 02:03 AM
I have room for 2 on Sat June 25th at Yale!

I will try to be at the "Starting Gate" by 5:00 on Sat.

Send PM if you can make it!!

Kokonuts signfishin

Looks like Shawn and I are going to catch a ride with Kokonuts! thumbsup

Dang now no one can make fun of my high speed driving...nananana

Kokonuts
06-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Looks like the empty seats are filled, sooo I'll see you at Yale!

Kokonuts signfishin

TrollNFisher
06-23-2011, 06:05 PM
It will be my first time on Yale and can't wait to meet everyone and FISH, I plan on following everyone around the lake and I'll act like I'm fishing, but I'll be spying out on what everyone is using.

I'll give a wave and say HI

Duroboat Rider
06-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I will be joining in on TrollNFisher's Boat 101chromefish101so I will help him learn the area, yet will have the bino's out!!! Looking forward to meeting everyone and share some kok stories!!!!

yimmee
06-24-2011, 08:27 PM
i will have my vhf radio on channel 68 if anyone wants to talk, or if anyone else has a better channel let me know. Would be nice to hear what is hitting and at what depth. last sunday it was 24 - 28 on the down riggers, and on the side rods it was 2oz in frount of a UV sling blade at 15 pulls, or 19' on a line counter. green was the goto color with a silver or brass blade. with the UV C/B spinner taking off in the afternoon.Also for some resson a black hook' ed set up seemed to work better. 101whocares101

cheers 101cheers101, and a wave 101wave101... SEE YOU ALL UP THERE tooexcited

king koke
06-25-2011, 01:30 AM
cant sleep tongue2

chief
06-25-2011, 04:16 AM
still up haven't had the chance to even think of sleep being since i just got off two 12hour night shifts PS they are not very fun see ya'll in a couple of hours. tooexcited

MackPrince
06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
We couldn't have asked for a better morning of fishing. Most boats came home with lots of keepers, the wind was calm to nil, and the clouds stayed away making for a wonderful day.

Thank you to everyone who came for our third annual gathering. It was nice to get some time face to face to swap stories and talk kokanee for an afternoon. As you can see in the picture our group continues to grow and it sounds like several KFF people were able to camp next to eachother.

I'd like to send a special thank you to Kokanee Creek Tackle, Vance's Tackle, Bugeye Lures and Kent Cannon for providing everyone with some great new lures and some copies of Kent's newest book.

Petty4life
06-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Great job guys,

chief
06-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Didn't get a chance to thank you guy's for the food and company so I guess this is about the best I can do for now. Oh yeh and thanks for the lures looking forward to trying them out next time.

yimmee
06-26-2011, 12:12 AM
nice to meet you all, thanks to kff and mackprince for putting this onworthy12,food was good , company was good, and i walked a way with some good reading material. and heres some morning pictures.

Koke-n-a-smile
06-26-2011, 09:33 AM
101rave101 Had a great time, thanks Mack and Kokonuts, I appreciate you guys organizing this thumbsup I am looking forward to trying the new gear, they look great!

See you on the water!

Koke Hunter
06-26-2011, 10:50 AM
It was definitely nice to meet everyone. I hope next year I get more than two hours sleep the night before so I will be a bit more talkative. My daughter and I enjoyed some great weather and good fishing. We only landed 7 fish but had a ton of strikes and headed home after lunch.

Get'nJiggy
06-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks again for puting this on, it was a great time. Nice to meet everyone, looking forward to some good reports from this summer!
Tight lines!
-Matt

Mudinchev
06-27-2011, 01:45 AM
A big thanks to every one involved in making this happen!! And to Kokonuts an even bigger THANK YOU! Shawn and I had a great time you filled my head with so much information it was unreal! worthy12 And I have to say, Shawn hung on every word you had to say, that little sponge has been telling stories/tips/tricks about that trip non stop since we got home. He is a true fish-o-holic we weren't home 10 minutes and he asked "Can we go down to the creek and go fishing?" Hopefully we can hook up later this summer and you can learn me Merwin's hot spots.

lowe1648mt
06-27-2011, 08:53 AM
I want to say Thank You to Mark and Richard for making this possible. It iis special to have time to be with others who appreciate good fishing and freinds. Yale is a nice place also.

TrollNFisher
06-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Wanted to thank you to MackPrince and Kokonuts for the get together this Family day lunch was great, it was fun putting handles to actual faces. Food was an excellent choice and thanks again, got to fish both lakes man what a weekend!!! See you on the water.

Cannon
06-28-2011, 04:29 PM
I will be there hopefully next year. I had a seminar scheduled for that weekend so I couldn't make it. Sounds to me like a good time was had by all.

onlychild
06-28-2011, 07:04 PM
looks like you guys had a great turn out and the pic. of yale are sweet enjoy the goodies and good luck