PDA

View Full Version : First timer looking for help

azbohunter
03-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Hello guys and gals,
I am a first timer on this forum, a first timer to fish Kokanee and will be a first timer to fish Wallowa, June 17 thru 24th.
I live in Arizona but my wife's family is all in Oregon and they all like to fish as we do, but, we fish bass, walleye, crappie and some trout. I have never fished Kokanee.
I have fished all my life (67 currently) and even guided for many years in Minnesota as a pup.
Spent a good share of last summer in Oregon and fished walleye on the Columbia a fair amount, there was a learning curve do to the current and I fish lakes but after a few trips I wound up doing quite well. Bowhunting is my real passion with fishing a close second, here is a link to some of my photos.https://picasaweb.google.com/azbohunter/MyHuntingAndFishingAlbum?authkey=Gv1sRgCMej4ZXYiPT SmQE#
I have a 16' Lund, 50HP Merc. 4 cycle with electric trolling motor. I have the usually assortment of rods, reels and tackle but I don't own a dodger, I don't know what a Hoochie is, I have never used a down rigger?
So, I am looking for advise, what to buy, where to order from, how to fish, trolling speeds and everything else I can learn without being on the water. I have begun researching the web and that is how I wound up here.
Not looking for anyone to give up any secrets, I just need good solid information
Thanks in advance,
Dick King
Arizona
personal emails are more than welcome if you prefer.

skookum9
03-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Azbohunter, you've certainly come to the right place for your education. There are many here who have a lot of knowledge and are very willing to share their experience with others. About the only kokanee fishing I am qualified to teach you about is jigging for koke's. I primarily surface jig for them and usually only in the spring when they are still at the top of the water column most all day long. If you like bass fishing then you'd probably love this technique, there's really not much difference. Except, in my own opinion at least, the quality of fish goes up exponentially when you move up to kokanee.
I would suggest that you make note that there are different methods of taking these fish that will each work well in their own arena. The most common methods that I know of are....trolling, jigging and bait fishing. Trolling is not my personal favorite but is probably the most common way by far. It won't take you long with all the trollers on this site to learn all sorts of things about dodgers and hootchies and other assortments of attractors and lures. With jigging, there is vertical jigging done at depth and there is the horizontal jigging on the surface that is my favorite. This uses any of various lead jigs in any of various sizes between 1/4oz and 3/4oz weight, depending on depth and wind conditions. And with bait, I think it's mostly about the scent, but colors may sometimes help too.
While I can go on in detail about jigging, and could even cover a fair amount of detail on trolling, you'll need someone else to explain the various bait techniques to you. If you look at some of the previous discussions on this site, you will find much discussion between the members here about their own techniques and the why's and where's that are their preferences. I love fishing for these little fish and I enjoy sharing my own experiences so if you're interested, all you need do is to ask. But there are many others here who are quite passionate about their methods and they have a great deal of knowledge and experience as well and I think you should listen to what they have to say first. I welcome you to this forum and also to the sport of kokanee fishing. I hope you enjoy your trip and become as hooked as the rest of us have.
God Bless.

azbohunter
03-05-2011, 10:19 AM
skookum9,
Thanks for the speedy post. Your method of surface jigging is something I had never heard of before. Maybe 20 years ago I was visiting with my family/fishing and one evening we vertical jigged for Kokanee with a heavy spoon and a series of small flies tied above that. The fish were only about 10" long. That was on Miller Lake. My real interest is fish that measure in pounds and not inches but I know all trout fisherman talk inches! I am intrigued by the bigger fish more so than numbers. That does not mean that I would expect to come visit Oregon for a week, not knowing a thing and expect to catch a 9 pounder, but that would be great if I were to be so stupid lucky. I would rather spend all day fishing for 1 big fish than doing what we did a Miller Lake. Of course I know Miller Lake and Wallowa are two different bodies of water.
Skookum9, I am all ears and whatever you have to offer, I will take and be grateful for!
Looking forward to your next reply!
God Bless and have a great day!

skookum9
03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Azbohunter, don't be fooled into thinking that jigging only catches small fish. You only caught small koke's in Miller because that's all there is there. If you only catch small koke's somewhere else, it will be for the same reason. The size of koke's you catch is totally dependant on the size fish in the school you are fishing over. Since learning to develop my jig fishing, and incorporating it as I can with my fly fishing, I've learned that vertical movement in the water will draw a minimum of 10 times the number of strikes as will horizontal movement, all other things being equal. I do not know why this is but I have found it to be true for trout, char kokanee, bass, bluegill, crappie and salmon. Anything outside of those catagories I could only guess at but I know from my experience which side I would throw my money at.

I cannot tell you where the big fish at Wallowa are, or even how big they are going to be this year. I do think that if you are going there in hope's of landing a 9lb koke, you will be disappointed. I hope I am wrong but the odds are not in your favor by a long ways. If you hope to catch some smaller koke's and maybe get lucky enough to hook into one that will read over two or three pounds then you may very well get your wish. The method is not what will make the difference in the size fish you will catch, the location is. You will have to find a big fish in that lake to put your lure in front of. And there is a lot of water to cover out there and not nearly so many big kokes. Look at the numbers that were caught last year. Yes, there were some dandies caught, and one of them was even caught by a 73 year old man jigging from his canoe. But the strong majority of fish caught were smaller fish, much smaller. And it wasn't very late in the year when I heard all the big koke reports stop altogether and all fish reported were small.

I don't mean to discourage you and if you hook that once in a lifetime monster, kudo's to you. But that is a beautiful place and putting unreallistic promises in your head about it will only detract from your joys on your trip. No matter what method you choose to fish, the basic rule is the same. Put your hook where the fish are. If those fish are on the surface, then cast out and catch away. If they are on the bottom then put it there. You can't catch 'em if you ain't in 'em. But I will put jigging for koke's against any trolling any day if I am out for pounds of fish caught. As long as I can locate the fish. Now if I can't find them, then trolling will beat me. Otherwise, it won't even be close.

If you have jigged for koke's before then you know what you're doing and there's not much I can add to it. And if it's trolling tips you'd like, I still recommend the advice of these other great fishermen that are on this site. I'm surprised that they haven't responded yet. They really have a lot of experience at what they do and I think it's always best to go to the most knowledgeable source that you can for what you want to do. I mean, if I had to give a comparison of trolling methods that I use, I'd probably tell you about how I've always seen cowbells outfish all the best dodgers and slingblades and everything. Of course, there is no fun in dragging that kind of hardware behind a boat and that method is only for meat collectors and not for those who are interested in the fight with a good fish. Be patient, these guys are all good guys and they will help you out with your quest.

Good luck out there. I hope you really do hook into a big one on that lake.

azbohunter
03-05-2011, 11:36 AM
I do think that if you are going there in hope's of landing a 9lb koke, you will be disappointed. I hope I am wrong but the odds are not in your favor by a long ways. If you hope to catch some smaller koke's and maybe get lucky enough to hook into one that will read over two or three pounds then you may very well get your wish.
I hope I didn't give the impression that I planned to catch that 9 pounder?? I only meant that I hoped to have enough knowledge when I hit the water that I would at least be using the proper presentations that "might" give me a chance at a decent fish. I have fished to many years to put "expectations" that high. I do have and use a Lowrance graph with mapping and speed. I also am very realistic, but I also know that "knowledge is power". A friend who is a very well known pro fisherman in the upper mid-west once made a statement that I have never forgot, rather it be in regards to fishing, hunting or daily life.
" Sometimes luck has a lot to do with success but knowledge and application seems to increase the degree of luck a person has tremendously"
So, to emphasize my hopes on this site, what I hope to gain is some practical knowledge. Do I use leadcore line (I never have) and troll cowbells (I hate it) or should I be using 10# fluorocarbon and a dodger and what behind it?? Honestly, I have never done any of it, I much prefer light line fishing to anything else but I will do what works. Or at least I will do what gives me the best chance at catching.
I have no preconceived notion of filling the boat with giant fish. I do plan to enjoy the beauty of the lake and area, enjoy the week with family and friends and hope to catch some fish with hopes of at least something that will cause the drag to slip!101ok101 Just knowing that I have what I need in my boat and some knowledge of how to use it when I hit the water will be a lot more than I know right now!
Thanks again

kokaneekid
03-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Hello guys and gals,
I am a first timer on this forum, a first timer to fish Kokanee and will be a first timer to fish Wallowa, June 17 thru 24th.
I live in Arizona but my wife's family is all in Oregon and they all like to fish as we do, but, we fish bass, walleye, crappie and some trout. I have never fished Kokanee.
I have fished all my life (67 currently) and even guided for many years in Minnesota as a pup.
Spent a good share of last summer in Oregon and fished walleye on the Columbia a fair amount, there was a learning curve do to the current and I fish lakes but after a few trips I wound up doing quite well. Bowhunting is my real passion with fishing a close second, here is a link to some of my photos.https://picasaweb.google.com/azbohunter/MyHuntingAndFishingAlbum?authkey=Gv1sRgCMej4ZXYiPT SmQE#
I have a 16' Lund, 50HP Merc. 4 cycle with electric trolling motor. I have the usually assortment of rods, reels and tackle but I don't own a dodger, I don't know what a Hoochie is, I have never used a down rigger?
So, I am looking for advise, what to buy, where to order from, how to fish, trolling speeds and everything else I can learn without being on the water. I have begun researching the web and that is how I wound up here.
Not looking for anyone to give up any secrets, I just need good solid information
Thanks in advance,
Dick King
Arizona
personal emails are more than welcome if you prefer.

Hey Dick I'm planning on fishing Wallowa at the same time as you if you want we could exchange phone numbers, and get together at Wallowa. I would be more than happy to give you a crash course in kokanee fishing while having a beer or two by the camp fire. I do know that the full moon is on the 15th of June so the fishing should get better on the tail end of your kokanee adventure.

Fish on kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

azbohunter
03-05-2011, 05:07 PM
kokaneekid

PM sent.

Thanks

azbohunter
03-06-2011, 10:31 AM
After spending a lot of time on here looking at several posts, pic's etc: I realize I might need to ask a more pointed question.
First let me say that Kokaneekid must be a heck of a guy to offer up personal one on one help to someone he has never met! That is a great offer that I will not refuse if it works out, I can see why he has been made a moderator on this site.
So if you could, put yourself in this position, you live in the SW where there are no kokanee, you plan to make a 1,300 mile trip (each way) to fish them and you want to have at the least, a starter kit of the proper tackle to hit the water with and some knowledge of how to use it. What would be the basic items that you would purchase realizing that the sky "is not the limit" but still hoping to have a good starter package put together.
I would probably have to rule out downriggers (probably) because of the cost for just a few days of fishing, so whatever that leaves the door open for. Dodgers, spinners, jigs, hoochies or whatever else. I am sure that the sponsors of this site have good product or you all would not be endorsing them so knowing where to order may not be an issue, it is more what to order.
Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.

Dick

eric71m
03-06-2011, 11:18 AM
SW washington? by what ever are you talking about, you have some good places to fish! Merwin is the perfect example!
and by the way - Kokaneekid, is awesome...

azbohunter
03-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Ahhh, SW US not Washington, rather Arizona!

smokin' Kokes
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
first, get Kent's book on koke fishing
http://kentcannon.com/kokanee_obsession.htm

then read these links with tons of info

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

then click on all the site sponsor ads.
definitely need a downrigger for Wallowa in June with the crowd of boats. Scotty or Cannon are the popular ones that one can get serviced anywhere, electrics help when they get down below 50ft.

lure colors, pink, green, purple are the basic starting colors.

depth sounder critical to find kokes depth, they relate primarily to water temp. 54d F is ideal but they may be warmer or cooler

http://www.fishwithgary.com/kokaneeuniversity.html

if no bite in 15 minutes, change something, lure color, troll speed, depth, lure action.

GPS helps especially on large lakes when the fish move out toward the middle.
catch a fish, mark the spot, turn and fish the same spot back and forth.

kokes tend to be a schooling fish.

skookum9
03-06-2011, 02:19 PM
If you choose to use jigs you can keep your cost to a minimum. Jigs run about 4 or 5 bucks apiece which seems expensive but, there is no other expense to them. The only thing that I would recommend about that is if your not willing to move up to the super-braid lines, then make sure your mono is new and is at least 6lb strength or you could loose a lot of money in jigs. You won't catch me on koke water without a selection of pink and white Gibbs Minnows, and orange too if I can get them. I always carry 1/2oz models and try to keep 1/4oz and 3/4oz on board too. That means about $50 in lures and you're set. Of course, if you're going to buy your gear out here too then you'll have to add the cost of one spinning rod somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-12lbs rating and at least 6 or 7 feet long with a decent spin reel to top it off. Those prices can range anywhere from a $20 combo outfit to a several hundred dollar rig. I do suggest that if you buy a combo outfit and it comes with mono already on it that you cut it off and install fresh line. That will save you a lot of money in lures.

That is all I need to catch my daily limit of kokanee, and often in a matter of an hour or two. I'll let the others make their suggestions about trolling rigs.

Cannon
03-06-2011, 04:51 PM
First off,don't rule out getting downriggers. you can pick up some fairly inexpensively by buying used. I bought my first set off Ebay and the fish that they enabled me to put in the boat made the rather small investment well worth it. Know your product by doing a little research and you will do well in an auction. I make it a rule to pay less than half price when bidding on an item. Ask questions and don't loose hope if you loose a few auctions.
Buy an assortment of dodgers. I like an assortment of dodgers from Sep's Crystal Basin, Shasta and Mack's Lure. Go with Gold, Silver, and an assortment in various colors of those with UV and Glow tape.
Buy hoochies in all of the basic colors. Focus on Glow, Double Glow and UV.
Same thing with spinners. Get a good assortment in the base colors, Pink, Orange, Red, Blue, Purple and Orange all with Glow or UV. Make sure all of the tackle you buy has a double inline hook setup.
Spoons are another area often not looked at which are very effective. Dick Night, Vance's, Father Murphy, Sep's and several others all put out some great spoons. Once again stick to the primary colors in Glow and UV.
Take Kokanee Kid up on his offer. He is a very good fisherman and will not steer you down the fishless trail.

azbohunter
03-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Getting more excited with every reply! I have quite an assortment of rods and reels and I just bought a new 7' bait caster;med to light action 1/4 to 1 oz lure. I went into Cabela's and it was on sale as a discontinued model, 139.00 marked down to $50. So today I had to take my wife shopping for some "fishing clothes"?? Payback.
All of my rods are graphite, some Fenwick, some Diawa. Reels are assortment of Ambassaduers (3-4) and Diawa baitcasting and spinning.
I always keep new line on my rigs, I prefer fishing lighter tackle such as 4 to 8 # line but went up to 12# on the Columbia last summer for walleye. I use mainly Trilene XL but I also have some Firewire and have been looking at florocarbon.
Terminal tackle and presentation is my downfall. I have basically no knowledge of either.
I will order terminal tackle by mail and hopefully have the right tackle when I get there.

smokin' Kokes
03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
any light to med. trout gear works well for starting.
go medium trout gear for Wallowa, my biggest there is a 6lb fish on lt. steelhead gear.
your 8>14lb line is great for Wallowa. save the 6lb for all the rest of the koke lakes.

if downriggers aren't in the budget this year, use trolling divers in the small to med. size
http://www.coldwatertackle.com/trolling/divers-and-snubbers?gclid=CND71LCXvacCFQkCbAodrUDfBA

i like the Luhr Jensen Pink Ladys, easy and simple to use and work as an additional attractor. small to med. size for kokes. 5ft drop back 15 lb leader from PL to sling blade/dodger then 8>10" leader with hoochie/lure/spinner.

if no line counter reel, just count the pulls of line out from reel to first guide with light drag setting.
http://www.luhrjensen.com/products/divers--planers/pink-lady

corn tipped lures in states where bait is legal work. always use scents, i like the shrimp, krill, kokanee concoctions. super gells
http://www.pro-cure.com/gel.html#kokanee

when you get to a new lake, ask the other fishermen and stop at the bait/tackle stores. we're all glad to tell what they're biting on.
look at their gear setups and ask questions.

tons of koke lakes all around you in the western states, New Mex., Utah, Co., Calif. makes a great week vacation trip, koke lake camping in the early summer or early fall.

and the best benefit, what you catch is the finest fish on God's green earth to eat

enjoy

azbohunter
03-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks smokin' Kokes that was good information! If I can find a set of downriggers on ebay at an affordable price, I will have them, if not I will do the Pink Lady thing as you suggested.
You never know, it might get into my blood and it will become and annual thing.
But then I would have to choose between walleye on the Colombia and Kokanee?? Don't you hate it?

azbohunter
03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of Kent's book, ordered it last night.

Kokaneegal
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
AZBOHUNTER welcome. I would not go fishing on Wallowa Lake without, my cowbells, wedding ring, and corn. That is what I caught my 23" 5 1/2# Kokanee on there last year. Also a 19" and 17". All within two hours. Did you take a look at my pics? I'll be there again this year trying for another big one.
Kokaneegal

Kokaneegal
03-07-2011, 11:31 PM
I forgot to mention, I don't use a downrigger!! :)
Kokaneegal

azbohunter
03-08-2011, 09:17 AM
I did look at your pictures, congratulations, those were beauties for sure. I would be thrilled.
My father-in-law who lived in Oregon all his life loved lead core line, cowbells and corn. Never could get used to dragging all that stuff around but it sounds like it works for you too!

spoons
03-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Hi AZ,
I have a buddy from Boise going over for a family reunion about the same time as you.

I was raised over there and grew up fishing Wallowa Lake. Always did well for kokanee with cowbells and wedding rings.
When I got older I throw in the dodger with kokanee killer tipped with a maggot and scent. That dodger was nice because I could tell when I was dragging one of the little ones around.
(maggots seem to work very well over there. You can pick them up at the Sport Coral on your way into Joseph)
I seem to have caught more kokanee out in the middle fishing pretty much on top.

Now to make a short story long...

Last year after they caught the "big one" I did some research and found that people were using hoochies and jigs and doing very well. I spent some money on new tackle and headed over a bit earlier than usual to try for a whopper.
I put on the water just after light. There were about 8 boats trolling in one area in the middle of the lake. I didn't see anyone catching anything so I did my usual thing for an hour or so and caught a couple trout.
I went over and joined in the trolling roundabout. I had my down rigger right at the depth they were supposed to be at... didn't mark very many fish at all.
about 11am another boat showed up trolling twice as fast as the rest of us, making sharp turns like he was out of control. I'm thinking "what a jack---".
5 minutes later he had a kokanee in his net and another one on his other pole a few minutes after that. He trolled around like a maniac, catching netting, steering all by himself for an hour or so until he limited out.
I went over and asked what he had on and he said "I'm a guide here, you know..."
Basically, no pay no play.
Other boats tried to get some info but they got the same response.

He had a dodger and it looked like and orange/pink hoochie. He was using his down rigger but I think that was more for show. Everytime he made a move to his pole the fish was already jumping. He was trolling fast and fishing shallow. That's why I didn't mark very many fish and that's whay he was making those sharp turns to drag his gear throught the undisturbed water.

Anyways, it all seems to work well if they're feeling frisky.
I haven't jigged yet, but I'm set for trying it this year.

Good luck! Maybe I'll see you up there.
I'm in a Sweetwater.

azbohunter
03-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey Spoons,
Thanks for the post! Sounds like maybe planner boards could works sometimes. Why is it the fish seem to always be biting on something you don't have?
Hope to see you there, probably will have the only red Lund with AZ license.

mrmike
03-09-2011, 12:49 PM
If I may add kokanee aren't the hardest fish to catch.Find a nice body of water to fish you need to research some book material about different areas (lakes) to fish. I personnel go were the fish run the biggest. The more you can read about kokonee the better you will become Kokanee Obsession by Kent Cannon is a great start. another great book that will change alot is The Master Angler (why color matters) by Mr.Phil Rabideau after reading it will explain WHY you catch the fish you do. and ask questions. I hope this helped

Cannon
03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
another great book that will change alot is The Master Angler (why color matters) by Mr.Phil Rabideau after reading it will explain WHY you catch the fish you do. and ask questions. I hope this helped
Mr. Rabideau's book is a must read if you are a serious fisherman or woman. Great info and when applied, it works.

DLM
03-10-2011, 10:36 AM
The more you can read about kokonee the better you will become Kokanee Obsession by Kent Cannon is a great start. another great book that will change alot is The Master Angler (why color matters) by Mr.Phil Rabideau after reading it will explain WHY you catch the fish you do. and ask questions. I hope this helped

As long as we are referring books I suggest "What Fish See" by DR. Colin J. Kageyama O.D. Being an eye doc and an avid fisherman, his knowledge and experience of how fish eyes work is very helpful. It is on amazon and available at Frank Amato publications. I have also seen it at fishermans marine.

Mark McWillis
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Until last Spring I had never fished for Kokanee or used downriggers. I spent all last winter reading this forum and a couple of books and I'm pleased to say that we caught limits our first trip out and were never skunked. You're on the right track. Have a great time at Wallowa.

azbohunter
03-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Until last Spring I had never fished for Kokanee or used downriggers. I spent all last winter reading this forum and a couple of books and I'm pleased to say that we caught limits our first trip out and were never skunked. You're on the right track. Have a great time at Wallowa.

So, I want some of that to rub off on me! So Mark, what time of year, was it on Wallowa and did you do it using downriggers?

My wife is not real happy that I found this "Kokanee Forum", but, she has always told me her favorite meal when she was a kid was kokanee! Hopefully I can redeem myself.

Thanks Mark

DLM
03-11-2011, 11:07 AM
The last day of our trip last year the hoochies were not effective at all, but they had been highly successful the first three days. We switched to a dodger and red wedding ring and things got busy. We were using a set back, maybe about 60ft, and lowering the ball just to about 15 feet. The wife caught our largest. She had establised her setback and was in the process of hooking the line to the release clip then the fish jerked the line right out of her hands. That fish had to be in the top 5ft of water, right in middle of the lake.

During the entire trip we spotted lots of schools usually down around 40 or 60 feet. Every time we dropped the ball and targeted the schools, we were rewarded with a cute little 8 in koke. The big guys were all on the surface.

Salmurai
03-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks smokin' Kokes that was good information! If I can find a set of downriggers on ebay at an affordable price, I will have them, if not I will do the Pink Lady thing as you suggested.
You never know, it might get into my blood and it will become and annual thing.
But then I would have to choose between walleye on the Colombia and Kokanee?? Don't you hate it?

If you're by yourself, why bother with a set of downriggers? If you need to get down with more than one line, you might try a stacker or a shuttlehawk. Just my "less than $.02" worth. When it comes to koke fishing, especially at Wallowa, I'm two kokes and about six hours ahead of you. Welcome aboard. Good luck..............Salmurai

smokin' Kokes
03-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Vance's Tackle downrigger basics is great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Jd2pR_E6Y

http://www.vancestackle.com/tips.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVs3QbRd0E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkmE4lKKpq4&NR=1

lots of good info on you tube
search you tube kokanee trolling to get the basics down for koke trolling

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kokanee+trolling&aq=f

also get Gary Miralles koke trolling video
Gary has a great sporting shows presentation on koke fishing.

http://www.kokaneetackle.com/p-264-lake-trolling-downrigging-basics-with-gary-miralles-dvd.aspx

watched one of the hot NW expert koke jiggers fishing Wallowa last year for a week and talked with him. 0 fish in May jigging and he wouldn't switch to trolling.

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of Kent's book, ordered it last night.

skookum9
03-14-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm guessing that this "hot NW expert koke jigger" was not so expert as he claimed himself to be. Sounds like you weren't so impressed by him either. Someday maybe you'll get a chance to see someone fishing jigs correctly and we can convert you. As high as that lake is, May should be early enough. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to put the jigs to these fish down here in the low country yet and now it's getting pretty late in the year for me.

mrmike
03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
great info spoons, Wallowa Lake is different than your normal kokanee lake ask yourself the question WHY? The water is blue and very clear not green all together different color pattererns. What works in your standard lake will not be that affective at Wallowa. I fished Wallowa 2 yrs ago I did land one fish in between the thunder storms 24" 5 1/2/ 6 lbs fat little pig. biggest kokanee I ever caught they use alot of %^^%%$$ there.

spoons
03-14-2011, 04:03 PM
great info spoons, Wallowa Lake is different than your normal kokanee lake ask yourself the question WHY? The water is blue and very clear not green all together different color pattererns. What works in your standard lake will not be that affective at Wallowa. I fished Wallowa 2 yrs ago I did land one fish in between the thunder storms 24" 5 1/2/ 6 lbs fat little pig. biggest kokanee I ever caught they use alot of %^^%%$$ there.

OK.. I'm new to the forum thing.. WTH is %^^%%$$

mrmike
03-14-2011, 06:08 PM
$%^& means a secret, but I noticed a lot of folks that fished there alot were using apex lure and doing well. I did use my down riggers and found the fish at the thermocline level at that time was 45 feet. Hope this helps. I went to the local shop and they steared us in the right direction.

Cannon
03-14-2011, 09:50 PM

Funny, the tackle that I used at Wallowa worked well on all of the other lakes that I fished last year and there were many (lakes). I fished there with others who used the same gear that I was using and had the same outstanding results. I also spent quite a bit of time talking to the current world record holder and he is using the same tackle that the rest of us are using...secrets no. Experience yes.