PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Class 2011

Fallriverguy
03-04-2011, 12:06 AM
It's on. April 15 and 16, at The Lodge at Suttle Lake (between Sisters and Sweethome, Oregon). Pick the Friday evening or Saturday session. This class is being taught by Moknots. This is his 4th year teaching the class.

What's the Kokanee Class? 4 hours of fast paced in depth coverage of when and how to catch kokanee using the best techniques for bait fishing, jigging and trolling. For many this is a "spring clinic" that allows them to get themselves, their gear and their boats tuned up before "opening day" (Suttle offers 25 fish per day limits and is open year round). For others, it's a chance to save YEARS in learning the secrets of success.

Friday 5-9pm Special session for repeat attendees and advanced anglers. We'll skip some basics, introduce some new topics, have more discussion and go deeper into some of the mysteries and variables of this fishery. Let me know if you have specific topics you'd like advanced discusion on.

Saturday 1-5pm Standard session, covers all the basics pretty quickly to make time for lots of questions and coverage of "the fine points" that make the difference between "fishing" and "catching".

The Lodge is offering discounted cabins and rooms, and free boat mooring for anyone booking lodging (limited, first come basis). There are also camping options as well as lodging in Sisters. The facility is incredible (see their web site) and they're giving us more room this year! We've had lots of spouses come in the past, who had a great time whether they attended class or not. WARNING: many of those spouses retained more information than them what brung 'em, and outfished their partner on a regular basis after attending. Gals seem to retain more (or doubt less)?

If you are bringing a boat and have open seats you'd like to offer, please say so, either in this thread, or by posting a new one. Fishing is inconsistant at Suttle, so be prepared for anything from dead to red hot.

Who is in?

PM eric71m for registration and cost with your email address. Space is limited.

skookum9
03-04-2011, 12:17 AM
This sounds great! I'm going to try to make this, as long as work doesn't get in the way. I've yet to fish Suttle but always wanted to try since it is on the way to the rest of my fishing holes. Can you tell me what the koke fishing is like out there? Are there many surface fish out there that time of year? What's the normal temp/surface temp of the water for that time of year? I hope I can be there, this sounds like a lot of fun.

Mav186
03-04-2011, 08:41 AM
I'd like to come down, but that weekend will be my 1st trip of the year for Triploids and Silvers. Seminars of this quality are extremely valuable for the art of putting more fish on the deck, plus getting the chance to hang around other 'fishing nuts' is always a GOOD thing! Have Fun.

Salmurai
03-13-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm in for Friday. What do I need to bring? I attended last year and it was worth waaaay more than it cost me. If someone wants to learn about catching kokes, this is THE PLACE for it. Lots of info to absorb in four hours. Get on board, you won't regret it.

WAD
03-13-2011, 09:34 PM
How much is the class i would like to come and learn

Cannon
03-13-2011, 10:59 PM
How much is the class i would like to come and learnI believe the class is 30 bucks and it is well spent. I went last year and will be there again this year. There are still seats left so get your hat in the pot! There will be enough free tackle given out to offset the cost of your fee to the point it is negligible. The information you learn, will really put you on the fast track to kokanee nirvana

skookum9
03-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Is this class mostly just a trolling lesson? Is it specific instruction to any particular lake's? Does it cover all methods of taking koke's? I'd like to know more before I decide to travel that far to sit in a class room instead of tending to the lovely little fishies that are in the water that is there.

eric71m
03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
There are two different classes, the Friday class covers more in depth items for those more experienced fishers, and the Saturday class covers things more aligned for the beginners. Both classes are very informative no mater the level of fisher you are.

Hope to see you there.

Cannon
03-14-2011, 01:51 PM
The class covers the full gambit. It will probably cover things that you have never tried before. It did for me! Mike is an excellent jigger as well as a bait and trolling kokaholic. The real benefit is that there will be other addicts in the class putting forth their experience. You will come away with new techniques, new tackle and new fishing friends. I am now friends with several people as a result of that class plus I picked up some techniques that I didn't have prior to attending.

Is this class mostly just a trolling lesson? Is it specific instruction to any particular lake's? Does it cover all methods of taking koke's? I'd like to know more before I decide to travel that far to sit in a class room instead of tending to the lovely little fishies that are in the water that is there.

SilverBullets
03-14-2011, 03:09 PM
I went to the class the first 2 years it was available. It's by far the most information on kokanee fishing available and covers all equipment and techniques including hands-on displays. The class had informative discussions on how to fish some of the local lakes and showed detailed maps...well worth attending!!

kokaneekid
03-31-2011, 11:55 PM
Mike wanted me to pass this on to you guys....

The 2011 Central Oregon Kokanee Class at Suttle, April 15 and 16, is nearly full. Friday is close to full, just started a waiting list for Saturday, and will likely hold a 3rd session, on April 17, if there is demand. PM eric71m to get a remaining Friday seat, get on the wait list for Saturday, or to reserve for a Sunday 9am to 1pm session.

Fish On kokaneekid

eric71m
04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Mike wanted me to pass this on to you guys....

The 2011 Central Oregon Kokanee Class at Suttle, April 15 and 16, is nearly full. Friday is close to full, just started a waiting list for Saturday, and will likely hold a 3rd session, on April 17, if there is demand. PM eric71m to get a remaining Friday seat, get on the wait list for Saturday, or to reserve for a Sunday 9am to 1pm session.

Fish On kokaneekid

FRIDAY is FULL.