PDA

View Full Version : The goal of more storage and working space

Wooly Russ
03-03-2011, 12:26 PM
As I mentioned in my first post, getting a boat rigged to fit one's needs takes time. Winter is a great time for boat projects, as I tend to be a fair weather fisherman.(I have more enjoyable things to do when the weather is nasty) So far, this is sample of what I have been able to make the time to do.

My main goal was to tidy up the cable and wiring, and eliminate the hole that used to route the fuel line and battery cable. What good are drains for a splashwell, when there is a bigger hole into the boat that cables run through. There wasn't even a boot around the cables! Also, the fuel fill/vent, was mounted flush to the bottom of the splashwell. I think you know were some of that water would end up if any backwash came aboard.
The secondary goal was to create more space under the splashwell for a cooler that could be used as a fish box.

The first project involved machining a riser for the fuel fill/vent. Next was rerouting the cables and lines to the same cut out used by the steering cable. Also a plug was machined to fill the old cable hole. I added a battery switch, wired in a couple of downrigger recepticles, and moved the oil resevoir from the starboard side to the port side, beside the battery. This opened up the space needed for a cooler. Getting the cableing organized also made it easier to hook up the new Yamaha T9.9 kicker, but that's another story.

The second project was more that I was looking for something to do, than necessity. I thought a drawer mounted in the space above the battery would be a handy spot to store tools or other hardware needed when fishing. I had some scrap aluminum square tube that a section was used to build the drawer front, and some HDPE for the sides and back. The sides are tapered, so that when the drawer is closed, it shuts tight to the bottom of the splashwell, so nothing will try to jump out, and the drawer won't rattle.

Enough wordiness for one day, but I'll try to share some of details of other projects in the future.

What kind of storage projects have you done?

SmokeOnTheWater
03-03-2011, 07:15 PM
What a PERFECTIONIST! 101shock1101

That drawer is OUTSTANDING and the raised fuel filler looks factory installed! GREAT WORK! 101goodpost101

Tools and Talent are are wonderful but having the foresight to plan and relocate factory installed equipment is priceless! Keep the ideas coming.

I'm looking at having to replace my carpet soon as the glue bond is starting to seperate and I don't think it will last two more seasons without tearing. Many of the new boats are equipped with snap-in carpet and I'm interested in hearing from other owners if this is an advantage or just an inexpensive alternative. Please share your ideas and comments.

sawtooth
03-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Beautiful work Wooly Russ. I wish I had your talent in metal fabrication. I am anxious to see your next boat improvement will be.worthy12

Wooly Russ
03-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Thank-you for the compliments!

Part of the plan for un-cluttering the splashwell is to be able to use it as a work area. On my build list is a HDPE cutting board fit to the splashwell, that can be moved side to side, depending on who needs it. It would be nice to be able to contain any spills or mess within the splashwell for easier clean up.
I'll post pics when I get it built.

SmokeOnTheWater
03-03-2011, 10:47 PM
HDPE - High Density Poly Etheylene???

Where do you get this stuff???

:confused:

Wooly Russ
03-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Yes, High-Density Poly-Ethylene, very simular to UHMW, but a little cheaper to buy. I had received some of this material surplus, from a neighboring shop. It is readily available through McMaster-Carr or MSC in smaller peices. Possibly even Ebay.

SuperD
03-23-2011, 02:45 PM
HDPE - High Density Poly Etheylene???

Where do you get this stuff???

:confused:

I found out that this product comes in 2 forms. The standard product has a smooth, shiney finish and is susceptible to UV degradation. The same product with an UV inhibitor added is what we've seen or heard reffered to as Seaboard. My local source for these products is Tap Plastics. If you don't have a local store, they also have a website.

Wooly Russ
03-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Yes, I've seen Starboard advertised is Cabela's also. I believe a lot of the aftermarket storage systems and bait stations, such as built by Miller Marine is made of Starboard. Nice material, a bit pricy though, hence why I used surplus pieces. I know now to store out of the sun when not in use. Thanks!