PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fuel Pump

Bduck
03-01-2011, 03:41 AM
I've been toying with the idea of installing an electric fuel pump for my kicker motor eliminating using a primer bulb. I'm thinking that once the electric fp primes gas into the carb and after the kicker is up & running that the mechanical fp on the kicker would take over which in turn shut down the power to the electric fp. Electric fuel pumps are sealed devices which would make it safe. Every couple of years, the primer bulb has to be replaced. Has anybody tried using an electric fuel pump? And if so, what fuel pump would you recommend?

lowe1648mt
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't believe it's legal per Coast Guard. States usually follow Coast Guard regs.
From a safety stand point, if you forget to turn off the elec. fuel pump, or it has too much push, it could push fuel past your fuel line o ring or your carb. needle n seat. That would cause a fuel spill. The fines can be huge.

AFDan52
03-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Rodger, I had been thinking about doing that same thing, but after talking to some folks that I know who have tried it. I was advised not to do this. But then, this was my decision in the end. I just want to fish and not fix. Copy that.

Bduck
03-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I just picked up some parts from one of the local dealers. A electric fuel pump can be added if its marine approved with a anti-siphon valve. One of the concerns was as lowe1648mt mentioned was pushing to much fuel. But when asked about coast guard regs, I found this to be a weak area with the dealership and all they can recommend is marine approved. Thanks lowe1648mt for your input and now it looks like I'll remain with what I have. BTW, the Mercruiser dealer recommended going to primer bulb made by Johnson/Evinrude. They don't harden up as much as the standard offbrands.