PDA

View Full Version : American Lake - 2011

kokanee_slayer
02-22-2011, 11:02 PM
I fished it on Monday, 21 Feb and didn't even get a bump. I threw the arsenal at them at various depths and nothing. The water temp was 44 degrees so it probably needs to warm up another 10 degrees before the action starts to pick up. Nonetheless, the lake was beautiful and it was great to get out.

samiam
02-25-2011, 07:45 PM
We are so lucky to have this fishery close by.
Just a fantastic Kokanee lake to enjoy.
Larsencp and I have had many great days experimenting with numerous lures and dodgers.

We have been rewarded with some beautiful chuncky Kokes at American Lake.

Thanks, Sam I Am

drsca
03-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I will be working near there in april. Hows the late afternoon /evening koke fishn.

kokanee_slayer
03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Fished American this A/M. Pretty Slow as the surface temp is only about 43 degrees - needs to warm up about another 10. Picked up two 13 inchers on the north side of Silcox. Beautiful morning on the Lake.

Kokanee Kid
03-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Right on bro thumbsup
First kokes of the new year 101chromefish101

MackPrince
03-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Good job Slayer. It's always a good feeling to get the "first one for the year".

Just a guess, but were the fish around 4-10ft deep?

eenakoK
03-07-2011, 03:01 AM
Kokanee_Slayer
Thanks for the texts today! Congrats on the fish today! Good old reliable!

kokanee_slayer
03-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Good job Slayer. It's always a good feeling to get the "first one for the year". Just a guess, but were the fish around 4-10ft deep?
Surprisingly, I hooked both fish at 25ft. I had one rigger set at 10 and the other at 25. I figured that if there were to be any hits, this early in the season, they would occur at shallower depths. Therefore, I was keeping a close eye on the 10ft rigger and almost dumped my coffee when I picked up the first one the other downrigger. LOL

kokanee_slayer
03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Launched at Daybreak and landed two Kokes between 7:00 and 7:30 on the North side of Silcox in about 80 ft of water. Size wasn't the greatest at between 11 and 12 Inches. Would have C&R'd them but both bleeders. Picked both up at 25ft on the riggers. Surface temp was at 44 to 45 degrees and as a result, the action is still a bit slow. 2320

Winterun
03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
KS,

What kind of boat are you in again? I'm heading to the lake this weekend. I would have been there last weekend but I had to get my steelhead fix.

Good job out there! Some of my earliest Kokes are from the first week in April. Maybe I can get a March one!

Winterun

Kokanee-Toni
03-24-2011, 12:58 AM
I got my limit today from about 12-2:30pm. Most caught at 11 feet in 60-80 feet.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/tonirobin616/DSCF3013.jpg

eenakoK
03-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Toni - Very nice! Thanks for sharing the report and pics! I can't wait to get out there now! See you out there!

smokin' Kokes
03-25-2011, 03:16 PM
nice fat footballs. must be lots of feed early.
water temps sure not rising yet.

here piggy piggy piggy, come taste my hoohie

kokanee_slayer
03-25-2011, 09:54 PM
KS,

What kind of boat are you in again? I'm heading to the lake this weekend. I would have been there last weekend but I had to get my steelhead fix.

Winterun

Winterrun, I'm in a 12ft red Lund - maybe I'll see ya out there. Good Luck.

eenakoK
03-26-2011, 06:50 PM

I hear that 12ft catches BIG kokanee ;)

TrollNFisher
03-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Nice fish, I might hit american tomorrow weather dependent

kokanee_slayer
03-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Launched at 7 and fished till 10 A/M. Threw almost everything I had at them at various depths and not even a bump. It was raining pretty steady the entire time which may have been a factor. :confused:

TrollNFisher
03-27-2011, 11:45 PM
27 Mar 2011 started 1230-1700, trolled next to the VA and northeast started out trolling 17 on one and 19 off the other rigger pink squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. On the other another dodger with a green hoochie squid tipped with the same stuff. Caught 3 kokanee aTrolling speed was .09 to 1.8 now here is the thing I know everyone wants the water temp, yep I got the fishfinder working water temp was 47.3. I caught all three fish at the faster move at about 1.7mph today, fish were caught between 70-80 feet of water. Fish are becoming very active and jumping everywhere marked lots of fish just had lockjaw. They are also putting a little fight with the warmer temps.

eenakoK
03-28-2011, 12:07 AM
27 Mar 2011 started 1230-1700, trolled next to the VA and northeast started out trolling 17 on one and 19 off the other rigger pink squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. On the other another dodger with a green hoochie squid tipped with the same stuff. Caught 3 kokanee aTrolling speed was .09 to 1.8 now here is the thing I know everyone wants the water temp, yep I got the fishfinder working water temp was 47.3. I caught all three fish at the faster move at about 1.7mph today, fish were caught between 70-80 feet of water. Fish are becoming very active and jumping everywhere marked lots of fish just had lockjaw. They are also putting a little fight with the warmer temps.

Nice report! That fish is a fatty! Thanks for all the detail! Heading out there on Saturday!

Winterun
03-28-2011, 02:55 AM
27 Mar 2011 started 1230-1700, trolled next to the VA and northeast started out trolling 17 on one and 19 off the other rigger pink squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. On the other another dodger with a green hoochie squid tipped with the same stuff. Caught 3 kokanee aTrolling speed was .09 to 1.8 now here is the thing I know everyone wants the water temp, yep I got the fishfinder working water temp was 47 .3. I caught all three fish at the faster move at about 1.7mph today, fish were caue boat by ght between 70-80 feet of water. Fish are becoming very active and jumping everywhere marked lots of fish just had lockjaw. They are also putting a little fight with the warmer temps.

TrollNFisher,
Were you in a North River launching at 12-1230 or so? You came over and talked to us as I cleaning my fish on the beach? Nice boat by the way!

Yeah we caught all our fish trolling a little faster also, 1.2mph to 1.6mph. Not by choice though, my new kicker is a high thrust model, so it was basically a shake down down run with it to see if I could catch fish with it. But I'm going to get a slower prop for koke fishing, and keep the high thrust for Puget Sound and Sekiu.

See you out there!
Winterun

Winterun
03-28-2011, 02:59 AM

KS,
I'll keep my eye out for you!

I'm in a blue 16ft Smoker Craft Osprey.

Take it easy!
Winterun

TrollNFisher
03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
TrollNFisher,
Were you in a North River launching at 12-1230 or so? You came over and talked to us as I cleaning my fish on the beach? Nice boat by the way!

Yeah we caught all our fish trolling a little faster also, 1.2mph to 1.6mph. Not by choice though, my new kicker is a high thrust model, so it was basically a shake down down run with it to see if I could catch fish with it. But I'm going to get a slower prop for koke fishing, and keep the high thrust for Puget Sound and Sekiu.

See you out there!
Winterun

Winterun thanks, No I wasn't in the North River although me and him were trolling side by side and behind him. I also talked to him on the water I saw he lost a couple but I don't know what he ended up with. I launched at Fort Lewis side. I have an 18ft Alumaweld Talon, yea Alumaweld came out with a new 18ft Talon new this year it has higher sides and bigger deck on the inside. I have a 60hp main merc and a 8hp kicker merc. The reason I was trolling faster for a few as I haven't piped my kicker into the steering yet so I shut it down because the rain was really coming down and trolled into the wind with the main motor until the rain stopped then switched back, but I stayed dry. I will look out for you on the water

TrollNFisher
03-28-2011, 11:41 AM
KS,
I'll keep my eye out for you!

I'm in a blue 16ft Smoker Craft Osprey.

Take it easy!
Winterun

Yea I'll keep an look at for you, look forward to meeting you.

kokanee_slayer
03-28-2011, 09:35 PM
I'll watch for you and if you see me out there, feel free swing by and say Hi. We plan to be out there Saturday.

lorieb71
03-29-2011, 12:28 AM
So great to find this site! Boyfriend and I are heading out Saturday morning for our first attempt of the season. Fairly new to kokanee fishing so trying to figure it all out as we go. Been making some custom glow in the dark lures that we're going to run behind a dodger. Worked well for us last year. Does anyone know if the Military Rd. boat launch is open to the public and if so any details about hours and cost. Thanks and look forward to meeting you all on the lake. Oh we're in a 16 ft Smokercraft. Lorie & Joe

BobW
03-29-2011, 09:30 AM
I think that is the free launch on the freeway side isn't it? If so yes,we have launched there in the past.
Wife and I may be out there on Saturday also. Silver 16 Ft Alumacraft. Also new to Koke fishing, but not to the lake.

TrollNFisher
03-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I'll watch for you and if you see me out there, feel free swing by and say Hi. We plan to be out there Saturday.

Look forward to meeting everyone out on the water

Duroboat Rider
03-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Great reports coming!!!!! I'll have to join the fun this weekend. I will be the poor guy in a open 14'duroboat with two black walker downriggers and a white trolling motor. Looking forward to all of us hooking up one way or another!!!!101chromefish101

Duroboat Rider
04-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Ran into Kokanee_Slayer today on the water early this morning around 7 was very calm with water temp at 44.8 degrees. Put out one rod on the top no takers yet had the other rod at 15 ft and was the first to get hit. Hit the rest of the fish from 25 ft to 10 ft utilizing the downriggers to get the limit along with 5 long distant releases.

Hoochie and dodger using solid pink, and uv haze. Rocky Mountain tackle squid, and Shasta Pee wee squid. Berkley Gulp maggots and DNA Kokanee scent. trolling 1.0 to 1.5 and had better luck on the higher speeds.

eenakoK
04-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Ran into Kokanee_Slayer today on the water early this morning around 7 was very calm with water temp at 44.8 degrees. Put out one rod on the top no takers yet had the other rod at 15 ft and was the first to get hit. Hit the rest of the fish from 25 ft to 10 ft utilizing the downriggers to get the limit along with 5 long distant releases.

Hoochie and dodger using solid pink, and uv haze. Rocky Mountain tackle squid, and Shasta Pee wee squid. Berkley Gulp maggots and DNA Kokanee scent. trolling 1.0 to 1.5 and had better luck on the higher speeds.

Very nice, thanks for the report and pic! I will be out tomorrow with Kokanee_slayer. From the sounds of your report and another one, hopefully it should be good!

TrollNFisher
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM

Man good fish looks like you had a good time and some fat ones too.

smokin' Kokes
04-03-2011, 02:22 AM
hog bellys. what ya been feeding those kokes.
sweet meated when their that fat, lots of Omega 3

kokanee_slayer
04-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Hit American about 8:00 A/M and had my limit at 11:30 A/M. The tips I received from Kokanee Kid made a huge difference - THANKS!

eenakoK
04-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Kokanee_Slayer-
worthy12

Nice job! I am going to have to talk to Kokanee kid and pry it out of him!

TrollNFisher
04-09-2011, 07:28 PM
going to hit up american tomorrow, let everyone know how I did.

eenakoK
04-09-2011, 07:47 PM
going to hit up american tomorrow, let everyone know how I did.

Good luck!

Mav186
04-09-2011, 08:18 PM
WOOOO-HOOO! With all of the great early reports and pics...this is looking to be an awesome year!!101goodpost101

Duroboat Rider
04-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I was out Friday morning, talk about fog. I landed one right away off the dowrigger and had another hit on a long line yet a LDR. A few more L ong D istance R elease. All my hits were on Pink Hoochies one solid and one have clear uv and Pink. Pink UV Dodger w/ glow tape (I was using a purple haze Hoochie, yet found anything pink to be the main preference so i switched) When the sun came out the action on top stopped and there also was alot of boats trolling the area and they went deeper. I picked up three more at 30 ft.

All in all a good day yet a lot of people it sounds like after talking to a few did not experiment with water depth. A lot of people were just playing on top. When they stop biting it can be for a reason (sun and boat action). Change colors, go to other lures and look at other depths if possible. Good luck to you on the water this weekend!!!101chromefish101

eenakoK
04-09-2011, 09:29 PM
WOOOO-HOOO! With all of the great early reports and pics...this is looking to be an awesome year!!101goodpost101

I can't wait to see how this turns out! Good times!

Kokanee-Toni
04-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I didn't get my limit but got some nice fish. They have grown since March 23. Started out using a yellow UV squiddy thang that I made up during the week. Then after the bite slowed down I switched to a pink and white squiddy thang as well as a pink (spatter back) uv from last year. Given to me by Kokanee_Slayer.
In the afternoon, before 2, the water temp was 47 and the wind came up bringing a little bit of blue sky.

TrollNFisher
04-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Called Duroboat Rider of the forum and after a talk he told me to go pink, so I listened and his prediction was on the money. 10 Apr 2011 started 0800-1145, trolled next to the VA and northeast started out trolling 18 feet on both riggers pink squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. On the other another dodger with a pink hoochie squid with a spoon tipped with the same stuff. My son limited out and I caught 2 all in all we caught 7 kokanee and lost 3 more a Trolling speed was .09 to 1.8 water temp 47.2 fish were caught between 70-80 feet of water. It seems the bite turned off as the wind really picked up I attached a photo of the money maker bait today all fish were caught on pink on riggers 18 foot down. Thanks for the info Duroboat!

eenakoK
04-10-2011, 07:48 PM
I didn't get my limit but got some nice fish. They have grown since March 23. Started out using a yellow UV squiddy thang that I made up during the week. Then after the bite slowed down I switched to a pink and white squiddy thang as well as a pink (spatter back) uv from last year. Given to me by Kokanee_Slayer.
In the afternoon, before 2, the water temp was 47 and the wind came up bringing a little bit of blue sky.

Thank for the report Toni, I am glad that you were able to get into some fish.

Called Duroboat Rider of the forum and after a talk he told me to go pink, so I listened and his prediction was on the money. 10 Apr 2011 started 0800-1145, trolled next to the VA and northeast started out trolling 18 feet on both riggers pink squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. On the other another dodger with a pink hoochie squid with a spoon tipped with the same stuff. My son limited out and I caught 2 all in all we caught 7 kokanee and lost 3 more a Trolling speed was .09 to 1.8 water temp 47.2 fish were caught between 70-80 feet of water. It seems the bite turned off as the wind really picked up I attached a photo of the money maker bait today all fish were caught on pink on riggers 18 foot down. Thanks for the info Duroboat!

Thanks for the report and pics! Sounds like you and your son had a great time. I am taking my three kids out this Saturday. Good times!
Isn't it always nice when you have people that will share information? That is what I love about this place!

TrollNFisher
04-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Thank for the report Toni, I am glad that you were able to get into some fish.

Thanks for the report and pics! Sounds like you and your son had a great time. I am taking my three kids out this Saturday. Good times!
Isn't it always nice when you have people that will share information? That is what I love about this place!

We had a great time and yea, I love this forum its seems this is for fisherman that don't mind sharing bait, tips, and tactics that puts fish in the freezer.

Mainelygone
04-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Wow ...I got to get out there and meet some real Koke Slayers and friends. Awsome report . Gone for a couple of weeks but returning with a hope to get some......worthy12

oldguy43
04-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Great reports everyone, I will try a couble days this week to catch a few fish....

kokanee_slayer
04-10-2011, 10:22 PM

Toni,
Great report and it was nice seeing you out on the lake!! It was a beautiful day to be out on the water. I believe the action will pickup once the water temp climbs to the mid 50s. Spent a good portion of the time hunting down fish as they were pretty scattered.

lorieb71
04-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Finally started getting the hang of these Kokanees then the mighty winds started and our batteries for our trolling motor kept dying then our main motor engine died because we where running the trolling one off of it and so on and so on.... LMAO Total comedy of errors except we got to bring home 8 nice ones!!! Wohoo!!!! Thanks for all your tips and suggestions! Oh and we where using pink hoochies on two poles one on the surface the other on the down rigger at about 40 ft and the other reel was set up with one of my homemade glow in the dark orange lures on the down riggers as well but at about 45. All three had a couple of pieces of shoepeg corn on them...

eenakoK
04-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Lorieb71 -
Thanks for sharing the report and pic! Seems like American produced a lot of fish this weekend! Lots of fun to come!

TrollNFisher
04-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Anybody out there fish american this week?

eenakoK
04-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I'll be out there tomorrow.. if you see a red starcraft (old) come and say hello.

TrollNFisher
04-15-2011, 12:17 PM
I'll be out there tomorrow.. if you see a red starcraft (old) come and say hello.

I'll be there tomorrow as well, white alumaweld talon see you on the water.

dkelliott3
04-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks to all for giving me a clue as to what to do tomorrow, Saturday.

I will be in the white "Folding" boat with my 15 yr old grandson.

Gosh, I hope he gets a lot of action, he needs the fun.

Good time to be unplugged from electronics and all that fills a kids time these days.

eenakoK
04-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Come by and say hello if you see this boat, I will be out with my kids and my dad..

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/dlbutterfield/Boats/IMG_2993.jpg

dkelliott3
04-15-2011, 06:36 PM
And here's what the Portabote and I look like.

Duroboat Rider
04-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Good Luck to you all this weekend. Some of us have to work!!

I was out Wednesday morning and got my limit, they have really liked a chrome dodger with green center and the usual Pink hoochie with DNA and gulp pink maggots. I only had this one rod go off on all 5 fish. Watch out for the Crew rowers!!! A Black Talon Alumaweld got ran into on Wednesday so keep an eye out if you see them coming!!!

I went again on Thursday and was the only boat on the lake other than the crew guys for an hour and landed one and lost a few. Had to get back to a sick and very due pregnant wife!!! Again all fish on that flasher. The other flashers i used were pink and copper which have worked in the past yet if the fish want something feed it to em!!!! Hope you all get your limits and hope the weather also improves for you!!!!! Fish On!!!!!101chromefish101

Kokanee Kid
04-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Most of the time im in the kokanee dominators boat.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/Chuck-the-duck1/pics002.jpg

Kokanee-Toni
04-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Beats your little boat. tooexcited

Kokanee Kid
04-16-2011, 09:52 AM
OH YA!!!!

WELL......................................
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/Chuck-the-duck1/0415110928a.jpg

nananana

Kokanee-Toni
04-16-2011, 10:54 AM
nananana tooexcited

TrollNFisher
04-16-2011, 10:05 PM
16 Apr 2011 started 0600-1021, trolled next to the island and northeast started out trolling 18 feet on both riggers chartreuse squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. On the other another dodger with a pink hoochie squid with a spoon tipped with the same stuff. My buddy and I caught our limit of 5 apiece. Trolling speed was .09 to 1.8 water temp 48.0 fish were caught between 70-80 feet of water. Most of the fish were caught on a faster troll 1.5-1.8 mph. We caught more fish today on the chartreuse than the pink. Also there were 4 fish caught early on free lining out the back 75 feet on the chartreuse between 6-7am. I’m going to try Alder again in the near future I'll let everyone know how I did.

kokanee_slayer
04-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Nice Job TrollNFisher! Those are some good looking fish. Intend to give it a shot tomorrow. 101goodpost101

Kokanee-Toni
04-17-2011, 10:25 PM
I had to work today so I asked Kokanee_Slayer if I could get a seat from him on his boat 'cause he is a break of day guy! He picked me up from the North Park at 7 and I had my first bite within 5 minutes of getting in the water but it didn't stick. The Slayer that he is already had 4. Then we had to wait to either find them or for the bite to start again. Boats were all spread out so they may have had to do that to. We were done with our limits by about 9:15am. I caught a 14 inch trout to bring home. Thanks Koakanee_slayer! signfishin

eenakoK
04-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Very nice! I am glad that you were able to get out!

kokanee_slayer
04-17-2011, 11:27 PM
I launched at Russell Landing at 6:15 A/M and was to pickup Kokanee-Toni at the North Boat Launch at 7:00. So I figured what the heck I've got about 45 minutes or so to kill; might as well see if the fish are awake. Set up both rods on the riggers and was fishing by 6:30. Within 5 minutes had a double hook-up and 2 in the boat. I reset, dropped both riggers again and landed another 2 in short order. When Kokanee-Toni called from the boat launch at aprox 6:55, I had 4 Koks in the boat. We both caught our limit and were off the lake by 9:15.
I was using my normal set-ups but Kokanee-Toni's hand made lures were knocking them dead. Toni, your Smoked Kokanee was delicious.thumbsup

Great Morning on the Lake!!!

TrollNFisher
04-18-2011, 10:28 AM
I launched at Russell Landing at 6:15 A/M and was to pickup Kokanee-Toni at the North Boat Launch at 7:00. So I figured what the heck I've got about 45 minutes or so to kill; might as well see if the fish are awake. Set up both rods on the riggers and was fishing by 6:30. Within 5 minutes had a double hook-up and 2 in the boat. I reset, dropped both riggers again and landed another 2 in short order. When Kokanee-Toni called from the boat launch at aprox 6:55, I had 4 Koks in the boat. We both caught our limit and were off the lake by 9:15.
I was using my normal set-ups but Kokanee-Toni's hand made lures were knocking them dead. Toni, your Smoked Kokanee was delicious.thumbsup

Great Morning on the Lake!!!

Man talk about tearing them up, I'm looking forward to this weekend alreay.

kokanee_slayer
04-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks and Good Luck TrollNFisher!!! If I make it out this weekend, it will probably be Sunday. I've got some major yard projects to do Saturday - Got to keep the wifey happy. LOL

Elrika
04-21-2011, 08:06 PM
My wife said she wanted to serve kokanee for Easter dinner, and that is all it took to get me out on the water! I fished Tuesday and today, limiting both days. Tuesday I started about 10:00AM, fishing all over the lake at different depths and various colors trying to find some fish that would bite. Finally found the right combination and location; pink wedding ring behind a small 50/50 dodger just below the surface in front of the VA. I picked up my last fish at 4:00PM. Today I started at 10:30 AM and tried the same location and gear. Pink worked for a couple of fish, and then I switched over to a red/orange combination for the last few. I finished with 4 kokanee and a nice rainbow around 2:00 PM. Two good days on the water, and I can’t wait for Easter!!

eenakoK
04-21-2011, 08:57 PM
My wife said she wanted to serve kokanee for Easter dinner, and that is all it took to get me out on the water! I fished Tuesday and today, limiting both days. Tuesday I started about 10:00AM, fishing all over the lake at different depths and various colors trying to find some fish that would bite. Finally found the right combination and location; pink wedding ring behind a small 50/50 dodger just below the surface in front of the VA. I picked up my last fish at 4:00PM. Today I started at 10:30 AM and tried the same location and gear. Pink worked for a couple of fish, and then I switched over to a red/orange combination for the last few. I finished with 4 kokanee and a nice rainbow around 2:00 PM. Two good days on the water, and I can’t wait for Easter!!

Welcome to the site! You found a great place to find information. Thanks for your report, I wil lbe out there on Saturday to see if we can get a few. Look forward to your future posts and pictures.

Kokefly
04-22-2011, 06:04 PM
i guess the word must be out about American lake, i was the 3rd boat at the State launch at 6am, by the time i left there were 30 rigs there. i miss the good old days before the internet, now everyone knows when the fish are biting. Jim

Duroboat Rider
04-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Going out early so say hello and good luck tomorrow on the water!!!!!

Duroboat Rider
04-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Got out on the water around 6 this morning only a few rigs at the launch. Fish were hot and heavy on top trolling a green hoochie w/spinner blade on top and chrome green flasher on all rigs. Hit 2 doubles right off was only able to keep one on each time while trolling the surface about 80 ft back behind the boat. Got to love that 2 rod endorsement!!!!

Landed two Trout one was around 18 inches yet wanted koks so they both got released, and as the sun came up I dropped the rods on downriggers to around 10 feet and bam bam two more koks for the limit and was done by 7:30.

Noticing the females after cleaning them are starting to also get some darker red meat. Looks like they are hitting the plankton bloom hard!!!!! Biggest today was around 15 1/2 inches. 101chromefish101

Kokanee-Toni
04-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Got up at 5am but through multiple things happening didn't get on the water to 8am. Off water before 10am. LIMIT with Wannafish A Lures and Dee Diamond flasher or Bahama Mamma dodger.
Rainbow 14 inches Kokanee's 12-13 inches.

I think I got all at about 26 feet.

BobW
04-23-2011, 07:52 PM
So here is my first report. Got to the launch about 7:30, got boat in the water, while warming the motor I noticed that it looked like the strern looked to be sitting a little low in the water. I was sure that the plug was in. Got worried I had done something really dumb like stuffing it in the drain for the live bait well. So out of the water it came. Plug was fine, but when pulled there was a lot of water in the bilge. I did have the boat in the shop last week, maybe they let it get full of rain water:o. So back in the water and time to go fishing.

This was our first time fishing a new boat and first time fishing for kokes. Got the first one by the VA hospital. What a blast. We then started catching trout, fun but not what we were looking for. Wife got a koke later in the morning. We had 8 in the boat when we had to leave for the day.

After the last report, wife says we will be getting up earlier to hit the lake in the morning. If you see a silver 16 foot Alumacraft tiller stearing come on over and say hi.

TrollNFisher
04-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Got out on the water around 6 this morning only a few rigs at the launch. Fish were hot and heavy on top trolling a green hoochie w/spinner blade on top and chrome green flasher on all rigs. Hit 2 doubles right off was only able to keep one on each time while trolling the surface about 80 ft back behind the boat. Got to love that 2 rod endorsement!!!!

Landed two Trout one was around 18 inches yet wanted koks so they both got released, and as the sun came up I dropped the rods on downriggers to around 10 feet and bam bam two more koks for the limit and was done by 7:30.

Noticing the females after cleaning them are starting to also get some darker red meat. Looks like they are hitting the plankton bloom hard!!!!! Biggest today was around 15 1/2 inches. 101chromefish101

Right on I'm there monday

TrollNFisher
04-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Got up at 5am but through multiple things happening didn't get on the water to 8am. Off water before 10am. LIMIT with Wannafish A Lures and Dee Diamond flasher or Bahama Mamma dodger.
Rainbow 14 inches Kokanee's 12-13 inches.

I think I got all at about 26 feet.

nice fish and good report, I'm there on monday for sure

TrollNFisher
04-25-2011, 05:00 PM
25 Apr 2011 started 0600-0640, as I left Russell landing and turn the corner and headed to the island I put the first rod out on the rigger 5 ft down to start until I had a second to check the electronics. On this rod a chartreuse squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. Before I could get the other rod out BAM fish on, I got that one in and immediately put the other rod out free lined out the back; I picked up the fish to chuck in the cooler and BAM fish on a dodger with a pink hoochie squid with a spoon tipped with the same stuff. Decided no need for the riggers today, put the other rod out again BAM another koke. Well I decided enough is enough between driving the boat and running two rods was too much. I put just one pole out and caught the other two almost back to back. I didn’t even hit the island yet I had only gone about 500 yards from Russell landing. Fish were caught at a trolling speed of 1.2-1.4 today. There was myself and one other boat out today. I tried to phone a friend to see if anyone wanted to go fishing but everyone was at work. I caught three on chartreuse and two on the pink all on top. I had the boat back on the trailer by 0650 and back at the house by 0730. I pulled back up and my son hadn’t even gone to school yet he said dad you home already, I said yes Sir I caught five.

oldguy43
04-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Hope they biting that good tomorrow, taking the neighber and would like to see him catch some fish. Great report......

eenakoK
04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
25 Apr 2011 started 0600-0640, as I left Russell landing and turn the corner and headed to the island I put the first rod out on the rigger 5 ft down to start until I had a second to check the electronics. On this rod a chartreuse squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. Before I could get the other rod out BAM fish on, I got that one in and immediately put the other rod out free lined out the back; I picked up the fish to chuck in the cooler and BAM fish on a dodger with a pink hoochie squid with a spoon tipped with the same stuff. Decided no need for the riggers today, put the other rod out again BAM another koke. Well I decided enough is enough between driving the boat and running two rods was too much. I put just one pole out and caught the other two almost back to back. I didn’t even hit the island yet I had only gone about 500 yards from Russell landing. Fish were caught at a trolling speed of 1.2-1.4 today. There was myself and one other boat out today. I tried to phone a friend to see if anyone wanted to go fishing but everyone was at work. I caught three on chartreuse and two on the pink all on top. I had the boat back on the trailer by 0650 and back at the house by 0730. I pulled back up and my son hadn’t even gone to school yet he said dad you home already, I said yes Sir I caught five.

awesomereport
That is great, thanks for the information and pics! I won't be out there for a couple of weeks. I have a feeling this is going to be a great year all season long!

Kokanee-Toni
04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Way to go. 101goodpost101

TrollNFisher
04-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Did anyone out there fish tuesday, wed, thurs, or today? Just looking to see how you did.

Thanks

BobW
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
only saw one boat out there yesterday a 4:00 on the way home from work. Haven't seen many out there at all any day this week. I live a block away from the park on Veteran's drive.

TrollNFisher
04-29-2011, 01:16 PM
only saw one boat out there yesterday a 4:00 on the way home from work. Haven't seen many out there at all any day this week. I live a block away from the park on Veteran's drive.

Thanks I'll give it try early tomorrow

oldguy43
04-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Fished tuesday, limited in 4 hours, lost quiet a few, 2 in boat....

TrollNFisher
04-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Fished tuesday, limited in 4 hours, lost quiet a few, 2 in boat....

Thanks for the reply

Elrika
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
I went out this morning (Friday) and picked up a limit in less than an hour. I was using an amber color spinner with a brass blade behind a watermelon sling blade, just below the surface. There were many boats on the lake and most seemed to be getting fish. The sun was out and no wind!!

eenakoK
04-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Very nice everyone!

BobW
04-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Sounds like I better hit the lake when I get home

TrollNFisher
04-30-2011, 09:23 PM
I went out this morning (Friday) and picked up a limit in less than an hour. I was using an amber color spinner with a brass blade behind a watermelon sling blade, just below the surface. There were many boats on the lake and most seemed to be getting fish. The sun was out and no wind!!

Thats some good fishing worthy12

TrollNFisher
04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
30 Apr 2011 started 0600-1030, trolled next to the island and northeast started out trolling 10 feet on both riggers chartreuse squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. On the other another dodger with a pink hoochie squid with a spoon tipped with the same stuff. My son and I caught our limit of 5 apiece, man he wore them out. Trolling speed was .09 to 1.8 water temp 50.8. We caught more fish today on the chartreuse than the pink. Also there were 2 fish caught early on free lining out the back 75 feet on the chartreuse between 6-7am. I broke my chartreuse squid and decided to try something else out of the tackle box and I was impressed a kok-a-nut green hoochie thing it produced two fish back to back immediately I attached a photo. We lost seven fish today, but we’ll get them next time. We also picked up one trout wanted to throw it back but it was a bleeder.

KOK head
04-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Rite on my 12yr old and 7yr old and I caught our limit in 2hrs 15 fish ! baged and going straight to the smoker !

Duroboat Rider
05-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Got out early this morning 5:45 yet was the 7th boat launching. Ran over to the other side of the island and trolled past the VA and the other launch. Was running all chrome dodgers with Rocky Mountain Green Hoochie w/spinner blade. Pink Gulp Maggots and DNA scent. Caught my fastest limit yet in 25 minutes with one double.

Fish were all on top with one rod down at 10 ft off the rigger and the other one flat-lined. I also went out on Saturday evening and found three koks at 30 ft. Fish went deep with the wonderful jet ski and water ski folks out on the water already :( 101chromefish101

kokanee_slayer
05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Great Job Duroboat Rider!!!

kokanee_slayer
05-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Launched at 5:45 A/M and started fishing at 6:00 A/M. I caught my limit by 6:30 and was headed for the dock by 6:35. Started off the morning with a double within 5 minutes after I started trolling. After that, it was fast and furious. Went 5 for 5 this A/M and used my typical set-ups.

eenakoK
05-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Launched at 5:45 A/M and started fishing at 6:00 A/M. I caught my limit by 6:30 and was headed for the dock by 6:35. Started off the morning with a double within 5 minutes after I started trolling. After that, it was fast and furious. Went 5 for 5 this A/M and used my typical set-ups.

worthy12worthy12

oldguy43
05-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Sunday, quite a few people fishing, we went 10 for a 11, not bad for 2 old fellows on a nice morning.

TrollNFisher
05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Got out early this morning 5:45 yet was the 7th boat launching. Ran over to the other side of the island and trolled past the VA and the other launch. Was running all chrome dodgers with Rocky Mountain Green Hoochie w/spinner blade. Pink Gulp Maggots and DNA scent. Caught my fastest limit yet in 25 minutes with one double.

Fish were all on top with one rod down at 10 ft off the rigger and the other one flat-lined. I also went out on Saturday evening and found three koks at 30 ft. Fish went deep with the wonderful jet ski and water ski folks out on the water already :( 101chromefish101

you killed them worthy12

kokanee_slayer
05-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Nice Job Everyone!!! Most Anglers seem to be doing pretty well at American. As for me, this old hack just gets lucky every once in a while. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've gotten skunked. But thanks to the tips I've picked up from my friends on this forum, I've done much better.

Kokanee-Toni
05-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Nice Job Everyone!!! Most Anglers seem to be doing pretty well at American. As for me, this old hack just gets lucky every once in a while. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've gotten skunked. But thanks to the tips I've picked up from my friends on this forum, I've done much better.

I can say the same to you! You even took me out to get my limit.

Last time I was out I didn't get any Kokes just rainbows...but I did have a little trouble with my motor. I will use that as an excuse.

Duroboat Rider
05-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Well another repeat today with a fast limit. Got out early launched around 5:35 am and headed out with the same set up as usual hoochie set up and the tipping flavors. Green was on the menu and i could hardly keep the rods in the rod holders. Also using soft glow beads above the hooks than the hoochie. Using a UV light to get em bright and i believe they really help paint a target for the koks.

There was a lot of boats coming out upon returning to the doc and people are getting out early and I can see why with such a strong early bite. Have fun on the water and fish on!!!!101chromefish101

Elrika
05-04-2011, 08:36 PM
My mom showed some interest in catching some Kokanee after we served them for Easter dinner. Another good excuse to head for American Lake! We hit the water about 10:30, and she was on her way home at 12:30 with a limit. I set her up with the same rig that worked for me last week, same depth and speed. Great day on the lake with mom!

Duroboat Rider
05-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Well using this vacation to get out early while taking time to take care of my newborn girl. I got out around 6:00 all the fish were still on top and very aggressive again. Lines back around 80 feet. The koks were jumping very well this morning and looked like a hatch was going off.

Well got 10 koks in the smoker this morning after taking them out of the brine. Trying out a few receipes off this site. mmmhmm smelling good!!!!!101chromefish101

MackPrince
05-05-2011, 12:37 PM
awesomereport

Sounds like a great morning at the lake.

Congrats on the new baby girl! It won't be long until she's outfishing you. :)

eenakoK
05-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Congrats on the new girl! Great report!

TrollNFisher
05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Well using this vacation to get out early while taking time to take care of my newborn girl. I got out around 6:00 all the fish were still on top and very aggressive again. Lines back around 80 feet. The koks were jumping very well this morning and looked like a hatch was going off.

Well got 10 koks in the smoker this morning after taking them out of the brine. Trying out a few receipes off this site. mmmhmm smelling good!!!!!101chromefish101

Right on good report, I'm jealous I would much rather be fishing than at work. Once again congrats on the new girl, I hope the bite is that good this weekend.

Duroboat Rider
05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Well, I decided to go out again for a third time in a row to see what happens. Got out on the lake and started fishing at 6 am. I baited, scented both rigs and let them both out at the same time put them in the rod holders and bam, bam. Landed that double. Got them both set up and Bam, one rod goes again and then the other one yet lost it. Ok thats three, Got a text from Troll Fisher checking to see if I was on the water and as I was setting up rigs and got them both out and again Bam Fish on one, o crap fish on the second both landed and done 20 minutes to my watch!!!

I was alone on north east side of the island. There were about 10 boats all around each other on the west side by the VA. Fish by me were all on Top no rigger needed, and no weight other than dodger. Both set ups had the new Vance Flashers we carry at Cabela's with Green center that is UV, Rocky Mountain Chartreuse Hoochies with Spinner, DNA scent and Pink Gulp Maggots. That is it simple set up and about 10 rod lengths back. Trolling around 1.5 to 1.6 water temp was 53 degrees. Shown below was the result two of the center fish measured at 15 inches!!! They are growing!!!! Hope you all do well this weekend!!!!!!

Winterun
05-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Duroboat Rider,
Thanks for the report! I'll be out there as usual over the weekend. Should be a good one 80% chance of rain and winds to 10 mph. Not ideal conditions but I have to go when I have the chance, being a weekend warrior. But Monday and Tuesday's weather is looking good, probably have to tow the boat to work so I can fish afterwards.
Gotta stay tuned up for the Lake stevens derby!

See everyone on the water,
Winterun

TrollNFisher
05-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Well, I decided to go out again for a third time in a row to see what happens. Got out on the lake and started fishing at 6 am. I baited, scented both rigs and let them both out at the same time put them in the rod holders and bam, bam. Landed that double. Got them both set up and Bam, one rod goes again and then the other one yet lost it. Ok thats three, Got a text from Troll Fisher checking to see if I was on the water and as I was setting up rigs and got them both out and again Bam Fish on one, o crap fish on the second both landed and done 20 minutes to my watch!!!

I was alone on north east side of the island. There were about 10 boats all around each other on the west side by the VA. Fish by me were all on Top no rigger needed, and no weight other than dodger. Both set ups had the new Vance Flashers we carry at Cabela's with Green center that is UV, Rocky Mountain Chartreuse Hoochies with Spinner, DNA scent and Pink Gulp Hoochies. That is it simple set up and about 10 rod lengths back. Trolling around 1.5 to 1.6 water temp was 53 degrees. Shown below was the result two of the center fish measured at 15 inches!!! They are growing!!!! Hope you all do well this weekend!!!!!!

Man your about to make my ditch work come up with some bs excuse and go hook up to the boat and head to the lake! Those kokes are some colossal monsters.

KOK head
05-06-2011, 08:55 PM
SWEET nice looking catch thanks for the pics!

TrollNFisher
05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Got a text from Duroboat rider at 0825 this morning and asked how I was doing on the water and I rolled over in bed and my wife said who was that. Yep I slept in, I’m thinking about going this afternoon. Asked if he wanted to go he said yea sounds good I’ll pick you up at 1500. 7 May 2011 started 1600-1730. trolled next to the island and northeast started out trolling 20 feet on one rigger one at 20 and another rod with a stacker at 10 both chartreuse squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. On the other rigger another dodger with a pink hoochie squid with a spoon tipped with the same stuff at 11 feet. Then the last rod free lined out the back with the same stuff chartreuse in color. Here we go 4 rods and trolling away bam one goes, DUROBOAT got her in, bam another goes I start and hand it to duroboat as bam the third rod goes off. Who is driving? No worries there is only one other boat out here!!! Let’s rebait and put em back down. Here we go again a long story short BAM X 7 me and duroboat got 10 kokes in about an hour and 15 minutes. Trolling speed was 1.7 to 1.8 trolling with the wind saved some gas kicker was at an idle. Trolling into the wind 1.4-1.6, Water temp was almost 54, we picked up 4 or five freelining out the back I didn’t remember because it was action packed. Duroboat I had a great time looking forward to hammering them again next time.

kokanee_slayer
05-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Way to Go TrollinFisher and Duroboat Rider!!! Thanks for the Great Report!

thumbsup

Mav186
05-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Sweeeeeeet! awesomereport

Duroboat Rider
05-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I had a great time with TrollNFisher he has a great boat set up and it was so nice to share the time on the water!!! With that type of action its great having someone ready with the net, re-baiting and watching the rods getting slammed!!! Those koks are getting hot!!! Hope everyone did well today!!!!101chromefish101

kokanee_slayer
05-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Went Fishing with Kokanee-Toni today and that lady was on fire!!!! We launched ar 0630 and by 0730 she had her limit. I on the other hand struggled and didn't do nearly as well as the other times I've been out this spring I got my line wrapped my trolling motor prop and crackered a nice one right at the boat. I lost more fish this morning than all the other times I've been out this spring combined. Nonetheless, it was still a beautiful morning to be on the lake.

Kokanee-Toni
05-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Went Fishing with Kokanee-Toni today and that lady was on fire!!!! We launched ar 0630 and by 0730 she had her limit. I on the other hand struggled and didn't do nearly as well as the other times I've been out this spring I got my line wrapped my trolling motor prop and crackered a nice one right at the boat. I lost more fish this morning than all the other times I've been out this spring combined. Nonetheless, it was still a beautiful morning to be on the lake.

We did good! signfishin

TrollNFisher
05-12-2011, 02:43 PM
12 May 2011 started 0500-0800. Trolled next to the island and northeast started out trolling free lining a chartreuse squid hoochie with a 6 inch dodger tipped with pink Berkley’s maggot and DNA kokanee gel. On the other another dodger with a pink hoochie squid with a spoon tipped with the same stuff at 10 feet on rigger. Then the last rod free lined out the back I bought one of those vances copper and pink dodgers decided to give it a try and put a pink squid tipped with the same stuff, man she was hot. Me and my buddy caught our limit, but honestly there were a number of fish lost. On my two rods freelined out the back, I put the snubbers back on when we started, after talking to Duroboat rider he fished on Tuesday. The fish were very active they were trying every trick in the book to get off the line, some were jumping 3-4 foot out of the water. Trolling speed was slow this morning the water was like glass .8 to 1.2. Water temp was almost 54.4; we picked up 7 freelining out the back and 3 off the one rigger at 10 foot down. Two of the fish were at 15 inches and they are growing quick.

Kokanee-Toni
05-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Today the weather was nice. A little on the windy side and after the first shower, when I started fishing, it was partly sunny and the wind would die down and then come back. Got the little outboard to slow down enough to catch my 5 Kokanee. Fished from 10:30am-11:45am. Got 3 at 9-13 foot in 70 foot of water at the northeast side of the island. I got the other 2 in between the North Park Launch and the east point of the island. 82 foot of water 22 feet down. All were caught on Wannafish A Lure’s Bloody Mary and a Pink Shasta Sling Dodger, of course with bait...Shoepeg Corn and Berkley Maggots, no scent. The smallest I got was 11.5 inches and the biggest was 14 inches! Good day catching. Now I have to mow the lawn. ;-)

TrollNFisher
05-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Today the weather was nice. A little on the windy side and after the first shower, when I started fishing, it was partly sunny and the wind would die down and then come back. Got the little outboard to slow down enough to catch my 5 Kokanee. Fished from 10:30am-11:45am. Got 3 at 9-13 foot in 70 foot of water at the northeast side of the island. I got the other 2 in between the North Park Launch and the east point of the island. 82 foot of water 22 feet down. All were caught on Wannafish A Lure’s Bloody Mary and a Pink Shasta Sling Dodger, of course with bait...Shoepeg Corn and Berkley Maggots, no scent. The smallest I got was 11.5 inches and the biggest was 14 inches! Good day catching. Now I have to mow the lawn. ;-)

Right on Kokanee-Toni good catch. awesomereport

Elrika
05-19-2011, 06:17 PM
What a beautiful day to be out on the lake chasing kokanee! Perfect; sunny, warm, and only a slight wind. Fished from 0900-1230 and came home with a limit. I caught all about 15 feet down, straight-lined out 70 feet. I found that a hand made pink/orange spinner with a nickel blade, baited with Gulp maggots, all behind a 4/0 nickel dodger worked well.

oldguy43
05-19-2011, 08:01 PM
It was a great day to be on the water, 2 of us limited in about 4 hours fishing at 35 feet down on pink squid behind uv Vance dodgers, also with Glup maggets....

triple nickel
05-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Spent 6 hours on the lake with a long time friend...The weather was great and water temp around 60 however I only got one and had one hit...My buddy lost one at the boat...All in all the fishing wasn't great but we got the chance to reminisce about our past fishing trips as this was the first time in 20 years or so we fished together...

dkelliott3
05-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Spent 6 hours on the lake with a long time friend...The weather was great and water temp around 60 however I only got one and had one hit...My buddy lost one at the boat...All in all the fishing wasn't great but we got the chance to reminisce about our past fishing trips as this was the first time in 20 years or so we fished together...

Quote From the movie Late For Dinner; "Half of fishing is who you're fishing with".

William Dewey
05-22-2011, 01:20 AM
I was out alone two times this last week saw lots of fish on the scope and
saw some fish caught, but me skunked. I tried everything that has
worked for me at other lakes in the past and everything I have seen mentioned
on this lakes forum and nothing clicked. In all my many years of fishing I do not remember being so discouraged. The speed indicator on my fish-finder was
malfunctioning for the first time but other than that both days were a fine weather outing .I must admit I am not used to this kind of treatment. I need some help to get past my impediment.

oldguy43
05-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Pink squid with uv Vance dodger { 11 inch leader } seems to work for me, troll as slow as you can. We put 15 in the boat yesterday, lost quite a few, took 4 hours.