PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Roosevelt

Guy
02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Fished Lake Roosevelt water temp still cold 36.7 caught lots of rainbow 15 to 22 inches did pick up some kokanee this time 18 to 22 inches very nice kokanee. I talked to a couple of guy's that had 2 rainbow and thought they were kokanee I wonder how many people do that?
For those of you that dont know the first picture is kokanee second 3 kokanee third 1 kokanee and forth all rainbow.

Guy
02-22-2011, 03:29 PM
By the way it was really cold!

TrophyBoat
02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Nice Kokes!! I wish i could find some here in utah through the ice like that.

Guy
02-23-2011, 03:31 PM
They are real nice Kokes I put half of one under the broiler for 12 minutes and there was about 1/4 cup of orange oil that cooked out of it yum.

There were a bunch of guys striking out up there so here goes. I was using Bugeye Lures Kokanee spinners in K- 02 tipped with white corn and K - 04 tipped with Berkley Gulp pink maggots caught about 50/50 of the fish on each, when the sun came up higher in the sky I dropped from 10 to 15 feet deep down to 30 feet and continued to catch fish. I was using a 4/0 dodger with silver prism and about 36” of leader with 3/8 ounces of lead for the shallower run with 95 feet of line out and 2 ounces of lead out 60 feet of line for the 30’ depth all at 1.3 MPH.

Mr. Kok
02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Nice Fish!!!

smokin' Kokes
02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
the fish look even fatter this year than last, that first koke picture are some real hog bellies.

not much fight in that cold water though. at least last year, I had some sunshine and 45d days.
the winter wind over there on the long E>W reach cuts to the bone. love the gorilla face shield, gotta get one of those for driftboat fishing. heavy blankets over the legs really helps cut the wind and keep the heat in.

thanks for the detailed lure catching info. nice looking spinners. the winter kokes are so finicky. off one shade of color or 1 size and go home empty.

Crescent Bay or Jones Bay? any skim ice in the morning? wind conditions?

thanks for the report. i got to get over there before that great winter bite is finished.

Guy
02-23-2011, 08:29 PM
The rainbow put up a better fight than the kokanee in the cold water. I am fishing out of spring canyon in my little boat this time of year so not going far, the fish are moving around as they drop the water need to find them every day, no ice on the water this week but we are going to get a couple of mornings of below zero temps, there seems to always be some kind of wind did not fish last Saturday 30 + Mph wind. If guys would stop at the bottom of the ramp and let there trailers drain off water the ramp would not be greased with ice for the next guy, I was there early so I did not have to slide down the ramp but was the only one that let there trailer drain.

Kokonuts
02-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Nice pictures!

How is the fishing later in the year? I would like to make at least 1 trip this season, IF gas dosnt go too high.

Thanks, Kokonuts 101chromefish101

eenakoK
02-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks for sharing the report and picture.. Like the helmet!

Guy
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM
I am not sure Kokonuts but I will ask around this is the first year I have hit it hard up there, I know this weekend would be not good for your body. This is the forcast for Coulee Dam. Brrrrrrrrrr
Record low temperatures possible from tonight through Saturday...
Today
Sunny. Highs 17 to 21. North wind 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill readings 7 below to 8 above zero.
» ZIP Code Detail
Tonight
Bitterly cold. Mostly clear. Lows 1 below to 11 below zero. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill readings 2 below to 17 below zero.
Saturday
Mostly sunny. Highs 19 to 23. South wind 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill readings 13 below to zero in the morning.
» ZIP Code Detail
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy. A chance of light snow. Lows 11 to 16. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph in the evening...becoming light overnight. Chance of precipitation 20 percent.
Sunday
Mostly cloudy. A chance of light snow in the morning... then a chance of light rain or snow in the afternoon. Not as cold. Highs in the 30s. South wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Kokonuts
02-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Wow! And I thought it was cold here in Portland!

Kokonuts

Mav186
03-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Nice pictures!

How is the fishing later in the year? I would like to make at least 1 trip this season, IF gas dosnt go too high.

Thanks, Kokonuts 101chromefish101

K-Nuts,
I've done well over there through June for silver...after that, they can go quite deep to find. However, my most productive and consistant month has been May. The weather settles out (fairly stable), boat traffic is still low, temps are much more enjoyable and fish have not gone too deep. That's just been my experience.

Kokonuts
03-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Guy & Mav
Thanks for the info! Does the Lake get real crowded durning Memorial Day weekend or would it be better to go before/after?

Kokonuts signfishin

MackPrince
03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Great report Guy. Ahh, hopefully it won't be long for the rest of us.

It's great that you don't only help sponsor our site, but you also give us local updates and pics of huge winter hogs like this to keep us dreaming of the next day on the water.

-Mack

kokanee_slayer
03-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Awesome Report!!! And I thought I was a hardcore Angler. I had planned to make a few trips away from my home stomping grounds but with diesel over 4 bucks a gallon, I may have to adjust my plans a bit.

Mav186
03-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Guy & Mav
Thanks for the info! Does the Lake get real crowded durning Memorial Day weekend or would it be better to go before/after?

Kokonuts signfishin

Because of its size, the lake itself isn't bad once you're on it...the real question is where are you going to stay in the area and are they full yet! If you have that worked out, you got it made!!

Guy
03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Well I am back again fished Roosevelt most of last week still lots of Rainbow, kokanee are hard to come by I caught a little 14 incher my nephew lost a real pig his buddy got this 4.5 ponunder there has been a large amount of fish just off the spring canyon launch then the next day they might be hard to find well I found them they have been moving in along the sandy beach downstream from the launch in 30 to 35 feet of water still mostly rainbow though. The fish have been about all caught on the K-02 spinner the tackle shop is still pushing the pink one and they may go back to that one but the green is the hot color as of Sunday the 13th. Also there have been a bunch of fish just off Gibbs bay that's where my nephew lost his.
For those of you that won the first round of lures I am very sorry I ment to mail those out before I went fishing I will get them out ASAP. Guy

Guy
03-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I also wanted to mention I moved to 1/2 ounce of lead that put me at 15 feet down at 1.3 mph still using white corn on the green lure.

Mav186
03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Very nice job Guy...absolutely beautiful fish!