PDA

View Full Version : A little time on the fly vise

sawtooth
02-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Here are a couple of new ideas I have been playing with this winter. A combination of a glow in the dark front with a tinsel tail. Similar to a Kokanut, but about the size of a mini hoochie. I call it a Tinsel Bug. Will see if it works behind a dodge in a couple of weeks. As soon as this cold front moves on. What do you guys think?

SmokeOnTheWater
02-21-2011, 07:04 AM
I don't think you'll catch a thing with them! Where are the hooks? Didn't see a single one in the photos. 101duh101

I really like your use of tinsel especially for trolling. Most of the other materials (hair, feathers & fur) tend to slick back unless you find some way to pulse them behind the dodger. Also, looks like you dipped those heads?

NICE TOUCH! 101idea101

SilverBullets
02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Those look great!! I caught my very first kokanee trolling a Kokanut on leaded line around 10 years ago. Have fun with those and let us know how they do!
signfishin

sawtooth
02-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Smoke on the water, you are right about not having hooks. The whole thing is tied to a set of stack beads similar to what is used on a wedding ring spinner. Before fishing, I will run a leader and hooks thru the middle just like you would a hoochie.

trollmonkey
02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Sawtooth those look great! So are the heads the big end of the stack beads. 101smily101

sawtooth
02-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Trollmonkey,

I tied some with the big end forward and some with the small end forward. I found the tinsel would lie more streamlined if I tied big end forward and so most were tied in this fashion. I am anxious to see how they fish in a couple of weeks. Come on warmer weather.

kelson
02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Sawtooth,
As a fellow fly tier....I like them. I have been playing with some small tubes at the vise that resemble mini hoochies. What are you using for the head? Are you turning some beads into the cone shape or using hot melt? Or......?
Nice work, thanks for sharing.

K

sawtooth
02-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Kelson,
I also build my own rods, and the heads are made with the rod wrapping finish, Flex Coat Lite, and glow powdered paint from Pro-Tec. What type of tubing material have you been using? I was looking for a rigid tubing material that had a small diameter hole and the only thing that fit that bill was the stacker beads I have been using. Got any other options?

trollmonkey
02-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Sawtooth I tied a few tube flies on the plastic spray tubes that come with WD-40. I caught a trout or two but haven't used them for kokes.I think I'll try some more with tinsel. 101chromefish101

sawtooth
02-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Trollmonkey,
That's a good idea for a tube. My problem is that blasted spray straw seems to get lost from my can of WD 40 within a day or two of me buying a new can.

kelson
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
There are several tube fly vise adaptors on the market. They come with a set of pins that match the ID of various tube sizes. Chances are that your local fly shop has this one or something like it. They work very well. They will also (most likely) have an assortment of tubes as well.
To use the tubes, simply cut to to the desired length plus an 1/8 in. or so (be careful to not smash the tube....a single edge razor blade works well when you roll the tube under the blade on your cutting surface). Then I heat the ends of the cut tube near a candle flame....this will flare and round the ends which helps keep the thread wraps in place. Then just follow the instructions that come with the tube vise adaptor. If you have difficulties check out the attached You Tube link.

Tube fly vise adaptor link:
atkinsangling.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=94
Video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFy02w5A47c
(this video uses and HMH tube fly vise adaptor. this is the one I have. the instructor leaves out the small brass beads and spring that really help with the smaller sizes. again, this will be shown in the instructions that come with the vise.)
Best of luck and tight lines.
K