PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Kokanee setup w/downriggers

kansasrockchalk
02-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Would love some feedback on mildly priced rod and reel suggestions for kokanee...have a little extra money this spring and would like to put 2 new setups on the boat for the kokes/trout.

What are your favorite rods and reels?

Thanks!

SmokeOnTheWater
02-18-2011, 12:17 PM
As stated in other recent posts, the new choices of rod material are making all the difference in kokanee fishing these days. Many of the forum members speak highly of the Red Jared Johnson Kokanee Rods offered by Rocky Mountain Tackle. I purchased two rods from Bass Pro Shops a year ago called Kokanee Special for about $65 each and they are superb. I believe Lamiglass makes the rod blanks for both? I also found a Shakespeare Ugly Stick in a 7.5', med UL that works quite well for just under $40 each. A ultra light or medium ultra light rod in the 7' range is ideal in order to get a good bend when connected to the downrigger release. My Shakespeare rods have a bit too much backbone to achieve this nice continuous bend but serve quite well in handling the fish.

Do yourself a favor and get the best reel you can afford. Once again, many of the forum members speak highly of the TICA reels. There is also a new reel on the market designed for the freshwater fisherman using light tackle with a built-in line counter for about $200 each. A flexible rod combined with a reel having a extremely smooth drag cannot be overstated. If you really want to specialize in your equipment then it all comes at a price. These are my opinions but the decision is up to you. Good Luck!

gonefishing
02-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Depends on where you are going to go fishing. If your going to the Gorge. the JJ rod with a bigger Tica reel is a good idea.

If your are going to fish waters like Anderson Ranch, Lucky Peak and Arrow Rock, the TICA CT or CR reel with a TICA pole is a good way to go. The TICA pole is very light action and perfect for fish in the 12-18 inch size.

If you want a good all purpose set up in case your get into some bigger fishing opportunities The JJ Rods with a Tica Gold Reel is a good all around set up.

Another potenital issue is the type of release you use with your downrigger. If its a cannon release with a firm hold, you need a firm rod. Differnet releases are avaiable. If you plan on long lining with lead core line, the JJ Rod
would be better.

Now for your consideration. I have caught the heck out of Kokanne with heavy rods and line counter reels. Also with medium weight rods and open faced reels.

I just added 2 JJ Rods to my selection with Tica 100 CR reels. I took the Tica Reels apart. They are very nicely built. The JJ Rods are very nice for the money. They are not expensivie. This is a good al around set up for the Money. You could buy a more exspenive Tica reel, but the 100 CR should handle 10 lb fish easy, so why get a more expensive one.

Most of all, the season is a month off, or more. Go shop, don't rush your purchase and have some fun looking.

check out kokaneefishingtckle.com and go to their store in Meridian if you live in the Boise area.

Excaliber
02-19-2011, 08:31 PM
The Daiwa's are built much better than the JJ rods. I have two that look like 3rd graders built them. The butt caps are as crooked as it gets. The only thing I like about them is the color.

If your JJ Rods showed up with out the best workmanship, I would send them back. The ones I have seen and mine were constructed extemely well. Every manufacture will have issues from time to time becuase they all rely on humans for workmanship and quality control inspections. It happens, but should not be the rule for any company. Again if what you say is true, you might seek a replacement so that you are happy.

Good thoughts on the lighter rods. I still need a couple of the light ones. I'll be checking your suggestions out.

Thanks

Kokonuts
02-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Take a look at the Okuma SST Kokanee rods, about $40 and they make both spinning & bait caster types. For Reels any reel that works for Trout will work fine.
Kokonuts

kansasrockchalk
02-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the replies so far!

What are your thoughts on these?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Reels/Casting-Reels%7C/pc/104793480/c/104760180/sc/104259780/Abu-Garcia174-BCX-Round-Reel/727699.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/fishing-fishing-reels-casting-reels/abu-garcia/_/N-1102352%2B1000002582/Ne-1000002582/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104259780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 93480%253Bcat104760180%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_ stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104793480;cat104760180;cat104259780

Abu Garcia BCX 5600 series? I'm thinking I may use them a bit for catfishing as well so maybe a good dual threat type of reel?

gonefishing
02-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Maybe some knows more than I, and that wouldn't be hard to find. I have purchased a couple of the depth masters that are of similar quality. I have not used them that much and started having problems with one of them at the end of last season. I would look for a little betting quality. Just my opinion.

Full_Monte
02-22-2011, 08:04 AM
I bought a couple of these reels last season:

http://www.northwoodsoutlet.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4098

I think they are a great buy for the money. The line counter feature really makes a big difference. It's better than counting line pulls all the time. I'd rather think about something else. I also have a couple of the Tica reels and like them, but they don't have the line counters. I think I'd rather have the Tica if I had a big fish on, but Kokanee don't get too big where I fish.

kodiak1
02-22-2011, 02:19 PM
I agree completely with the last post. I, too, use the Okuma 15 line counter, and boy, does it make it easier. I also use them for fishing for pink salmon in the ocean, and they hold up well to the salt. You can sometimes find them at a really good price on Ebay. The only downside I have found is that the drag needs to be tightened up occas. Mike

fernand@
02-22-2011, 04:31 PM
it depends where and what you want to be fishing for me i have over 10 different rods and each for a specific fish on one rod i might have a jig and on another some live bait but a 7'0 medium action rod should do you well for the weakest and strongest of fish

spoons
02-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Where and what ... but also if you have children :-)
If you're just going after Kokes and trout, and you're not at Wallowa Lake setting kokanee records, no reason to get too much.

TrophyBoat
02-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Ugly Stik LiteŽ Inshore Casting Rods CAI 1170 7'0 Medium light
Very good sensitivity, good bend on the down rigger, Very durable.
and can handle the larger fish that you may stumble into trolling around. I even have used them steelhead fishing and they do the job.
bassproshop

BlueBack79
02-22-2011, 10:17 PM
i just sold a couple abu 4600 series reels and replaced them with a couple tica kokanee specials. they are pretty nice reels and affordable.

kansasrockchalk
02-22-2011, 10:28 PM
I did forget to mention I am in Boise area, so majority of fishing done at Lucky Peak and Arrowrock for kokes and trout.

My thought on the BCX's is they could duel for some cat fishing as well in the Snake. Since I have down riggers the line counter is not needed.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming....the research on each is very interesting.

sawtooth
02-23-2011, 12:46 AM
If you are in Boise, I would go to the Tackle Shack (Kokaneetackle.com) at the corner of Fairview and Locust Grove and check out all of his kokanee downrigger rods. That way you can see all of the rods for yourself instead of just reading about them here. They also have a good selection of reels including my recommendations, the Tica CT or Kokanee Special. I will warn you though, if you are a kokanee addict, this store will cause you to add new items to your fishing wish list. They have a good selection of Kokanee equipment for a store of it's size. I think I will stop now as this is starting to sound like an advertisement. laugh hyst For better directions click on their add at the right of this page.

nepetbutler
02-23-2011, 09:49 PM
I Bought 2 Diawa Accudepth Reels Connectted To A Whuppin Stick On Sale At Cabelas . Will Try To Nail Kokes At Arrow & Lucky

fernand@
02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
down here in illinois i do lots of carp fishing can you give advice on wahat rods are good for 20 pound plus fish

kokaguy1
02-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Myself I have 2 Celilo rods 7' Kokanee Pro very inexpensive I think I paid $30 a piece and matched them up with Abu line counter reels $100 a piece. A person could argue that there are better rods and reels out there and I could afford to have bought them but these work great and I would recommend them to anyone.

AFDan52
03-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi nepetbutler, I use the Diawa Accudepth 17 and 27's on my rods. Not just for the Kokes, but for everything, I love those reels never had any trouble . I think you like them also.

nepetbutler
03-21-2011, 10:14 PM
the reels are great but my whuppin stick doesn't bend very much. switching to ulgly stick, go n to arrow tue. will check out Lucky on the way in search of koke. if you smell bacon ,its me