PDA

View Full Version : Createx Paints

Pogue
02-14-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm going to follow the advice of Bug_Spin_Dokta from a previous thread and dabble with Createx paint. I do have a few questions though. Basically the need for this is that I have a large number of plugs I need to get out, but the pearl white paint that I've been using is not that easy to find (and its kinda expensive). The stuff I was getting was made to paint over Lexan, so it is a flexible coat. I don't need it or want it to be flexible, but it was the only acrylic paint that I could find in pearl white that looked halfway decent after spraying.

My questions are with Createx:

1. Has anyone used the Createx pearl paints, and how do they look after spraying?
2. Is Createx pearl white semi-transparent if sprayed with just a light coat?
3. Is it necessary to heat cure each coat of Createx?
4. If you were painting a few (100+) lures with Createx, how many could you spray before you had to stop and apply heat to cure them? Do you have to heat cure them immediately after painting?

I know that I sound like a newb in asking, but I am!! Also, I do like the fact that you can buy large bottles of the stuff and its alot cheaper than what I've been using.

Many thanks in advance worthy12!

Rob

Bduck
02-15-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm going to follow the advice of Bug_Spin_Dokta from a previous thread and dabble with Createx paint. I do have a few questions though. Basically the need for this is that I have a large number of plugs I need to get out, but the pearl white paint that I've been using is not that easy to find (and its kinda expensive). The stuff I was getting was made to paint over Lexan, so it is a flexible coat. I don't need it or want it to be flexible, but it was the only acrylic paint that I could find in pearl white that looked halfway decent after spraying.

My questions are with Createx:

1. Has anyone used the Createx pearl paints, and how do they look after spraying?
2. Is Createx pearl white semi-transparent if sprayed with just a light coat?
3. Is it necessary to heat cure each coat of Createx?
4. If you were painting a few (100+) lures with Createx, how many could you spray before you had to stop and apply heat to cure them? Do you have to heat cure them immediately after painting?

I know that I sound like a newb in asking, but I am!! Also, I do like the fact that you can buy large bottles of the stuff and its alot cheaper than what I've been using.

Many thanks in advance worthy12!

Rob

Rob, I new at this too. I'm interested in this paint, who sells it, and and the do's & don'ts. Just to buy a can of regular Krylon or Rustoleum is approx $3.50+... This adds up when you buy 4-5 cans. I would like to get paint that can be used in small amounts.

Pogue
02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Rob, I new at this too. I'm interested in this paint, who sells it, and and the do's & don'ts. Just to buy a can of regular Krylon or Rustoleum is approx $3.50+... This adds up when you buy 4-5 cans. I would like to get paint that can be used in small amounts.

You have to be careful with laquer or enameled paints. Some topcoats (like Dick Nite's) really don't like it. You can ruin a good paint job real quick, ask me how I know this!! The paints I use are Tamyia (sp?) acrylic paints. They work very well, dry fast, and are compatible with DN top coat. I have read that Createx also is a compatible paint to DN, as long as it has dried fully.

ReelJerks
02-15-2011, 04:42 PM
I have found I was able to use ANY paint on my base for design and style, then I apply a light coast of Tamiya Acrylic clear, then I final coat with Model Master Clear Lacquer. I spent a few hours dragging these spoons through the water at Pine Flat last Saturday and the finish held up great. Don't know what will happen to my fishing success this year, as I have dubbed it my 'UV' year. My plan is to base coat, main UV color (Createx), design coat, Tamiya clear acrylic, Model Master clear lacquer. We'll see what we will see.

Edd

Pogue
02-16-2011, 11:23 AM
I have found I was able to use ANY paint on my base for design and style, then I apply a light coast of Tamiya Acrylic clear, then I final coat with Model Master Clear Lacquer. I spent a few hours dragging these spoons through the water at Pine Flat last Saturday and the finish held up great. Don't know what will happen to my fishing success this year, as I have dubbed it my 'UV' year. My plan is to base coat, main UV color (Createx), design coat, Tamiya clear acrylic, Model Master clear lacquer. We'll see what we will see.

Edd

How thick of a coat of the clear laquer are you applying?

I forgot to add that I'm painting wood, but I think the results would be similar if I was painting spoons?

Pogue
02-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Painted a BUNCH of plugs today, and I was very happy with the Createx paint (so far). I haven't yet clear coated, but from what I understand, it won't be an issue with compatibility..

kelson
02-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Pogue,
I purchased some of the pearl paints from Createx but haven't used them as of yet. With that said they look great in the jar. I have a question for you painters. I have and old Pasche air brush that was my grandfathers. The air volume control is adjusted by a screw style stop that wobbles and is extremely hard to adjust. I have decided to put on the shelf with the rest of his antiques and purchase a new brush. Is Pasche still the way to go? And if so is there a model or kit you would recommend? I want to be able to do both broad areas of color and fine detail work.

Thanks in advance.
K

ReelJerks
02-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey Pogue, Here is my process for both, metal spoons and plastic lure bodies.
1. Clean with Bulldog Abrasive Cleaner
2. Shoot with Bulldog Adhesion Promoter
3. Shoot base coat
4. Shoot main color coat
5. Add design, feathering, dots, etc...etc..
6. Shoot 2 light coats of Tamiya Acrylic Clear
7. Shoot 2, 3, or 5 coats of the Model Master Clear Lacquer.

This is a longer process, but seems to hold up well for long periods of trolling.

Edd

Oh and BTW, am I saving any money doing it myself? H-No brother, H-No.

Bug_Spin_Dokta
02-19-2011, 01:28 AM
Createx Paint is the best airbrush paint i have ever used and that is hand's down. I spent alot of time painting Lexan RC Body's when i used to race RC Cars.

If your going to shoot with Pealized Colors. Vivid pearl base colors with a shimmering effect especially when viewed in direct light. Work best over Opaque White or Opaque Black.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out createxcolors.com for referrences on the different paints. The thing i love about Createx is that a few quick passes on a blow dryer or heat gun can dry the paint almost instant. If youre going to use etex or devcon as a finish coat. The createx will explode with vivid colors. They are ready to use right off the bottle. If you're shooting with a .003 Needle you have to thin it out with either warm water or Acrylic thinner. I use Windex as a thinning agent. Alot cheaper than Acrylic thinner. It is recommended that you shoot with a larger needle .005. Since you are painting larger plugs, i'd definitely go with a .005 needle and head nozzle.

Createx Wicked Colors are even better than the standard Createx. Lemme know if i can answer anymore questions you may have. Good Luck.

here's a tip.
If you're shooting in the garage in colder weather. Boil some water and let the bottles soak for a few minutes before you pour paint into the airbrush hopper. it will shoot alot smoother. Heat is your friend with this paint.

Rob, Just curious what Airgun you are shooting with? I'm using IWATA Kustoms and Microns Gravity Feeds.

Pogue
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Last night I dipped all of these in DN topcoat. The plugs that were painted with Tamiya paints all had some issues, mainly with crackling. These are not a loss though, it makes them look like roughed up scales. I actually think they look good. This seemed to happen more on specific colors like Black, Blue, and Green. I may start doing some like this on purpose.

The plugs that I used the Createx paints on came out perfect even though on all of the plugs (even the ones that crackled) I had shot a coat of Createx clear over. The paint reaction from the Tamiya even came through the clear Createx coating. I had only purchased a few colors of Createx to try out, but from now on I'm going to use Createx solely!!

I made an "oven" to cure the DN topcoat and it does a good job for heat curing the Createx. If anyone is interested, I can post some pics. It can fit 150+ plugs inside, regulate temps (I had it set at 100deg.), and keep them dust-free while curing.

Bug_Spin - I use an Aztek airbrush. Its double action and you can either use a gravity feed or suction bottle. I use the suction bottle because I was worried that as I spray, I would tip the gun and spill paint (I have never tried the gravity feed). This is the first airbrush I have ever used so I don't know if its any good, but I really like it - I would buy it again. I also jumped right in and started with the double action, I've never tried a single action trigger. The learning cure was a short one.

Rob

Bug_Spin_Dokta
03-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Rob, lets see some Createx artwork ;-)

Pogue
03-08-2011, 11:50 AM
So far I've only used the Createx Clear Gloss top coat and the Pearl white. I just finished two repaints for a friend who is fishing in a local bass tourney later this month. Yesterday he gave me a third to repaint for him. These were the first done completely with Createx. They are not top coated yet (I'll do that when I finish the third one). I'll take some pics tonight of them so far.

Where do you get your Createx, from their web site? How long do they take to ship? I have just been getting what I can from a local art supply store, but they don't have a very big inventory of Createx, and I need more SOON!

Pogue
03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Here are the first two that I've done using Createx. There is a before (someone had done a repaint for him and he wasn't happy with it) and after. The pics aren't that great and don't really show the color that well. Also, they haven't been top-coated yet. This is the same paint pattern that I have done before for the amse person, I should taken better notes as to what my mixing ratio was to get the colors, he'll probably want more.

ReelJerks
03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
I like the work Pogue. You definitely have 'THE' hand.
I get all my paint from The Kustom Shop @ kustomshop.com or some of my Kandy's from House of Kolor @ shop.houseofkolor.com

I'm using more Createx myself now and I have but one gripe....bottle consistency sucks! Had one bottle was way thick...reduced with water to about 'milk consistency' and ruined the paint. I think it was just a BAD batch.....was fluorescent green, but I really like this color. It POPS! under UV, very very bright. I have some of their reducer coming...hope it works better.

Edd

mrmike
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm going to help you guy/gal out if you have any questions about the art of painting lures etc. contact larry.larue @us.army.mil without a doubt the finest painter in the Pacific North West. I talk to larry and he advised he would in joy helping out. He is in a lure painting contest at present with Field & Stream magazine as one of the 5 best painters in the nation,result will be out next month. He had numerous article in STS magazine/Fish Alaska magazine/march issue of Field & Stream. I have added this info so you feel he is qualified to answer your question(s).

Bug_Spin_Dokta
03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
i get my paints from airbrush depot

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/188796_200530956642381_151332484895562_669769_4449 755_n.jpg

ReelJerks
03-10-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm going to help you guy/gal out if you have any questions about the art of painting lures etc. contact larry.larue @us.army.mil without a doubt the finest painter in the Pacific North West. I talk to larry and he advised he would in joy helping out. He is in a lure painting contest at present with Field & Stream magazine as one of the 5 best painters in the nation,result will be out next month. He had numerous article in STS magazine/Fish Alaska magazine/march issue of Field & Stream. I have added this info so you feel he is qualified to answer your question(s).

Would that be the LaRure of Looney Lures? I've seen some of his work and he has a special talent. This is fantastic contact info. Thanks

Edd

Pogue
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM

mrmike, Thanks for the contact info, I'm going to contact him now!

Rob

Pogue
03-14-2011, 11:40 PM
101cheers101101cheers101

Great contact, Thanks!!

Rob

Silver Streak
03-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Hey Edd, is the model master clear lacquer worm proof...ie. will plastic/rubber ruin the finish if touching? I had a problem with a clear auto lacquer doing this.

Thanks, Tim

ReelJerks
03-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Hey Edd, is the model master clear lacquer worm proof...ie. will plastic/rubber ruin the finish if touching? I had a problem with a clear auto lacquer doing this.

Thanks, Tim

Ut-oh....time to do a test I guess. I don't use rubber worms but I use lots of Hoochies. I keep everything separated but won't hurt to be doubly safe.

Edd

Captain Ron
04-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Createx Paint is the best airbrush paint i have ever used and that is hand's down. I spent alot of time painting Lexan RC Body's when i used to race RC Cars.

If your going to shoot with Pealized Colors. Vivid pearl base colors with a shimmering effect especially when viewed in direct light. Work best over Opaque White or Opaque Black.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out createxcolors.com for referrences on the different paints. The thing i love about Createx is that a few quick passes on a blow dryer or heat gun can dry the paint almost instant. If youre going to use etex or devcon as a finish coat. The createx will explode with vivid colors. They are ready to use right off the bottle. If you're shooting with a .003 Needle you have to thin it out with either warm water or Acrylic thinner. I use Windex as a thinning agent. Alot cheaper than Acrylic thinner. It is recommended that you shoot with a larger needle .005. Since you are painting larger plugs, i'd definitely go with a .005 needle and head nozzle.

Createx Wicked Colors are even better than the standard Createx. Lemme know if i can answer anymore questions you may have. Good Luck.

here's a tip.
If you're shooting in the garage in colder weather. Boil some water and let the bottles soak for a few minutes before you pour paint into the airbrush hopper. it will shoot alot smoother. Heat is your friend with this paint.

Rob, Just curious what Airgun you are shooting with? I'm using IWATA Kustoms and Microns Gravity Feeds.

I also use Createx and Wicked colors also and I love them. I just finished painting some Vision 95 Jerkbaits and they turned out beautiful, but after I dipped them once in DN clear top coat they all wrinkled and now I have to start all over again. I let the baits cure for 3 days before painting and only dipped one time. Before I paint or clear coat any more baits I want to figure this. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks to all who respond......Captain Ron

SuperD
04-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Ron, look at the solvents for the paints you are using. The clear coat and the paint should have the same solvent base. For example, my experience has been that mixing a lacquer based clear coat with a mineral spirit based paint never works. Sometimes you can fake it out buy spraying a very fine mist coat prior to a heavier finish coat. But the ideal is to keep your products similar.

Pogue
04-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Ron, look at the solvents for the paints you are using. The clear coat and the paint should have the same solvent base. For example, my experience has been that mixing a lacquer based clear coat with a mineral spirit based paint never works. Sometimes you can fake it out buy spraying a very fine mist coat prior to a heavier finish coat. But the ideal is to keep your products similar.

Yeah that, but can you explain your process in a little more detail Captain Ron? I had the same issue with DN at first, but I figured out what caused it (for me anyway).