PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Motor security locks

Full_Monte
02-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to increase the security of two outboards...a 90hp Evinrude Etec and a 8hp Yamaha kicker. If you have any recommendations, that would be cool! Thanks!

SuperD
02-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I've seen enough posts for stolen motors to know that "locks" are false security. Bolting the motor to the transom and boogering the bolt / threads is better than anything you'll pay good money for. On my boat, I can through bolt and have the nut end down under my storage area on the inside of the boat.

lowe1648mt
02-01-2011, 11:00 AM
All these locking mechanisims do is slow a thief down. If they want your motor bad enough they will get it. That said, Use something- anything and then have good ins.

Full_Monte
02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the advice!
On my search for answers, I just found a great article on theft from a thief's point of view:

http://www.boatingandmarineinfo.org/?p=165

It does give a few tips.

agitator
02-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the advice!
On my search for answers, I just found a great article on theft from a thief's point of view:

http://www.boatingandmarineinfo.org/?p=165

It does give a few tips.

That was great article to read. I take it you have a new boat ?

Full_Monte
02-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah...new to me. I'll post photos when I get to it.

Full_Monte
02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Here's another video with some boat theft statistics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NUl5RiNiMM

MMDON
02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Don't let people dissuade you from locks. Each lock is another barrier. Eventually it's just easier to steal from the guy that doesn't take precautions! I have locks and a motion sensor on my boat.

lowe1648mt
02-03-2011, 05:46 PM
A Very good idea.

Bluknight
02-04-2011, 10:08 AM
While I don't disagree with some of the comments that if they want it they will get. I also agree with 3M - it's a layer of protection.

I went with a Stazo motor lock. Had good reviews and very easy to instal. I need to add a better hitch lock for when it's parked in the driveway.

I think of it like being chased by a bear - you don't have to be the fastest you just have to beat at least one guy in the foot chase. Maybe the guy next parked next to you is an easier target!

MMDON
02-09-2011, 12:07 AM
While I don't disagree with some of the comments that if they want it they will get. I also agree with 3M - it's a layer of protection.

I went with a Stazo motor lock. Had good reviews and very easy to instal. I need to add a better hitch lock for when it's parked in the driveway.

I think of it like being chased by a bear - you don't have to be the fastest you just have to beat at least one guy in the foot chase. Maybe the guy next parked next to you is an easier target!

There it is! 101goodpost101

Full_Monte
02-09-2011, 07:56 AM

There's a lot of truth to what you are saying. I would feel a lot more comfortable if there were a boat in every driveway in my neighborhood. However, there's probably not another boat in a two-block radius. I guess that's not too far.

SuperD
02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
F_M, still haven't seen pictures of the new boat yet!!!

Full_Monte
02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
F_M, still haven't seen pictures of the new boat yet!!!

Look on the other forum where you beat me up already!

Full_Monte
02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Got the locking bar for the kicker on today. My boat key ring is starting to look like a jailer's key ring...