PDA

View Full Version : Hootchie leaders & stops?

SuperD
01-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Who has the best method for stopping the leader and hooks from sliding up into the hootchie body?

BorntoFish01
01-23-2011, 12:01 PM
I just use a small bead above the top hook, which serves as an adequate stopper.

SilverBullets
01-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I've started to rig mine with a rubber bobber stop to adjust the hooks. The one's I've got rigged up like this have a small piece of foam crammed up into the nose of the hoochie. I'm trying to get away from useing plastic beads as spacers since they have a tendency to melt into the rubber skirt over time. I've also used things called pom poms. You can get them in about the size of a 5mm bead and they come in bright flouresent colors. They're a round soft fuzzy balls and need to be threaded on the line...most craft stores carry them. Another option is colored bar straws cut to length.

edit: I've used both Eagle Claw and Danielson rubber bobber stops (look to be the same thing) size to fit 4-8lb line. I used them on 12lb line for the hoochies and they fit pretty snug but still allow for adjustability.

Kokonuts
01-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I like to use T cones pushed into the nose with a little super glue. The cone will spread the legs out for a different look.

On the smaller size hoochies I trim down the outside dia. of the cone using my drill press with a small round file in it.
You can make the cone any size dia. to give more or less spread to the legs of the hoochie.

Another thing I do with the T cone is cut a little off the nose of the hoochie & glue in the tee cone with the open end facing out. This gives it a Chugging motion & moves it around more.

Kokonuts 101idea101

SuperD
01-23-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm putting some together this morning and using a tinsel insert for the first time and they are looking pretty killer. I still need a couple of beads to get the set back I want though.

SilverBullets
01-23-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm putting some together this morning and using a tinsel insert for the first time and they are looking pretty killer. I still need a couple of beads to get the set back I want though.

Where did you get your inserts? I've got a few rigged up with the ones Cabela's carries but I'd like to find some in different colors. I've made up some useing a few strands of tinsel and yarn and just useing the egg loop knot on the first hook to secure it...this allows for easy replacement to try different colors.thumbsup

DLM
01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
edit: I've used both Eagle Claw and Danielson rubber bobber stops (look to be the same thing) size to fit 4-8lb line. I used them on 12lb line for the hoochies and they fit pretty snug but still allow for adjustability.
101goodpost101

I use the rubber bobber stoppers (try to say that 5 times fast) also. I used to use beads and some of the other methods, but found two advantages to the rubber stoppers. One, they are easily adjustible and two, they add no weight to the hootchie. Beads and such add weight and in my 2cents worth, that hampers the action of the hootchie.

SilverBullets
01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
101goodpost101

I use the rubber bobber stoppers (try to say that 5 times fast) also. I used to use beads and some of the other methods, but found two advantages to the rubber stoppers. One, they are easily adjustible and two, they add no weight to the hootchie. Beads and such add weight and in my 2cents worth, that hampers the action of the hootchie.

I think the weight hampers the action also. I've started to use the soft oval glow beads in the smallest size inback of some of my apex's and inside hoochies. These don't add much weight or melt into the rubber of the hoochie like regular beads do.
The ones I've been useing are towards the bottom of this page...
ownerhooks.com

SuperD
01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
SB, the tinsel skirts I used this weekend were from Cabelas but I've also seen them offered on Lurepartsonline.com with a couple additional colors.

SuperD
01-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Does this make you want to Koke fish?

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9825/hootchies2011.jpg

Pogue
01-24-2011, 01:06 PM
SuperD - just noticed that your post was the 1,000th for this forum!! You should give yourself a door prize. Nice rigs by the way!!

Pogue
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM

Did you powder coat those hooks, or can you get them that way? Would powder coating a hook hold up very well? Just thinking of different things to try...

SuperD
01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
You can buy the hooks that way. The biggest drawback to the colored hooks is the eye dia. reduction. Makes putting a heavy leader on them almost impossible. I'm sure these were probably powder coated in the factory so I don't see why you couldn't try doing it yourself.

SilverBullets
01-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Those hoochie spinners look really good Dave!!101cheers101

Pogue
01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Would it make sense to add a braided or wire leader through the body of the hoochie? It seems like the blade's stirrup would eventually wear the mono line down and cause it to snap off??

SuperD
01-24-2011, 03:36 PM
The fish tear up a leader long before the clevis wear becomes an issue.

twisted lines
01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Did you powder coat those hooks, or can you get them that way? Would powder coating a hook hold up very well? Just thinking of different things to try...

I have powder coated trebles but its hard to stop before coating the barb, they come out nice.

]

They do look good think I may tie a few tonight!

I commonly use left over cats eye beads that I have for the spacers under skirts and Tubes have had good luck and they are heavy..... TL

Bduck
01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
I commonly use left over cats eye beads I was over at WalMart here while back and found a package of jewels which is sequens that kids like to craft things around with. They look like they may be good for a 3 dimisional eye set for some spoons or spinners.

MMDON
01-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Great looking lures Dave! 101goodpost101

DLM
01-25-2011, 05:53 PM
The most alteration I have done to a hoochie is add a smiley blade to the front. When you add a couple beads, clevis and blade, does that kill the action from the dodger, or do you use a longer leader and run it like a spinner?

SuperD
01-25-2011, 06:18 PM
I run 8" - 10" leaders on all my koke tackle except Apexes. At that length, I'm not seeing the weight of small kokes kill the action. laugh hyst signfishin

SilverBullets
01-25-2011, 06:58 PM
I run 8" - 10" leaders on all my koke tackle except Apexes. At that length, I'm not seeing the weight of small kokes kill the action. laugh hyst signfishin

Do you use lures such as wee tads, hoochie things/wiggle hoochies, lil draggins...if so what's your leader length for those?

SuperD
01-25-2011, 07:57 PM
30" to 36"

HiTechKoke
01-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Here's what I like for an insert....and they came out with a smaller diameter version this year. it also could help you add some contrast or see through color from the hoochies with the fluorescent colors. I used to use beads a lot but then my bead collection was slowly disappearing!

gooddayfishing.com

I forgot to mention I fell in love with using these tubes more inside a hoochie when it resulted in $250 derby fish last year at Shasta.... maybe it was luck but I am not going to question it.

HiTechKoke
01-25-2011, 08:43 PM
You can buy the hooks that way. The biggest drawback to the colored hooks is the eye dia. reduction. Makes putting a heavy leader on them almost impossible. I'm sure these were probably powder coated in the factory so I don't see why you couldn't try doing it yourself.

A little reaming with a sewing needle takes care of that for me on the back hook as I double up the leader from front to back.... basically the needle takes out the paint glob.

MMDON
01-26-2011, 09:11 AM
This seems bizarre to me . . . anyone ever tried putting the blade after the hooks???

SuperD
01-26-2011, 09:24 AM
That just has me puzzled to heck. Maybe those are good for attracting the fish to the camera but not catching them?

Bduck
01-26-2011, 09:30 AM
This seems bizarre to me . . . anyone ever tried putting the blade after the hooks???

I have ordered the double leader hooks by GDF for replacement on my hoochies and received a package of these same ones. Although their double leader is a superior hook to have on, I still have that one still in the package.

MMDON
01-26-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm at a loss as to how the fish gets past the spinner blade to the hooks???

kelson
01-26-2011, 04:41 PM
As mentioned prior, I like the smile blades and soft glow beads as well. The bobber stop idea works well and allows you to set the hoochie where you want it relative to the hooks. A very cheap bobber stop is nothing more than the smallest of rubber bands. You can make these by using a razor blade to cut a 1/16 to 1/32 thick slice out of 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch surgical tubing. Pass your leader through the center of the slice 4 to 5 times and pull the leader straight. You will have a firm little rubber knot on the leader that will slide toward and away from the hooks with firm finger pressure. Then put on your glow (or glass) bead, skirt, hoochi and blade. You're fishin!

Tight lines, K

SilverBullets
01-26-2011, 05:16 PM
As mentioned prior, I like the smile blades and soft glow beads as well. The bobber stop idea works well and allows you to set the hoochie where you want it relative to the hooks. A very cheap bobber stop is nothing more than the smallest of rubber bands. You can make these by using a razor blade to cut a 1/16 to 1/32 thick slice out of 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch surgical tubing. Pass your leader through the center of the slice 4 to 5 times and pull the leader straight. You will have a firm little rubber knot on the leader that will slide toward and away from the hooks with firm finger pressure. Then put on your glow (or glass) bead, skirt, hoochi and blade. You're fishin!

Tight lines, K

101goodpost101 great tip kelson...thanks for sharing!

KokeJunkie
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Where did you get your inserts? I've got a few rigged up with the ones Cabela's carries but I'd like to find some in different colors. I've made up some useing a few strands of tinsel and yarn and just useing the egg loop knot on the first hook to secure it...this allows for easy replacement to try different colors.thumbsup

Bullets, ran into some tinsel inserts on PLine website while looking at jigs you recommended on a different thread.

SilverBullets
03-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Bullets, ran into some tinsel inserts on PLine website while looking at jigs you recommended on a different thread. Link below:

Good find! I wonder how long they are?

kelson
03-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Super D, Those are some great looking rigs. I especially like the marbled glow blades.....nice! Did you paint them yourself?

As for a cheap, light way to position any rig above the hooks....I posted this technique somewhere else so pardon the redundancy. Take a small diameter piece of latex tubing....I use 3/16 or smaller if available. Using a razor blade and a straight edge, cut a thin slice of the tubing....say 1/32". You can make a bunch of these and keep them in your tackle kit. Before you put rig on, take a double hook leader and pass the end of the leader through the center of the little latex "doughnut". Repeat this about 4 to 5 times, being careful not to pass through any of the loops only through the "doughnut". Then simply pull the leader tight by holding each end of the leader. If you have done it properly the doughnut will turn into a multiple figure 8 knot that will slide up and down the leader with some pressure. The more times you pass through the doughnut the tighter the little knot will be. Give it a shot....If you have any questions, post them here or PM me.

Tight lines,
K

Silver Streak
03-16-2011, 02:10 PM
They look great, Dave. As for using a clevis, I like the folded type for mono spinners. The stirup type does wear the line and are really intended for wire shaft spinners.

SuperD
03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
They look great, Dave. As for using a clevis, I like the folded type for mono spinners. The stirup type does wear the line and are really intended for wire shaft spinners.
I won't argue with you but just state that I have never had a clevis related line break. I would guess that 90% of the time the fish have frayed a leader and caused me to replace it long before "line wear" can occur. Flaming Gorge Kokes make leaders lst no more than about 3 fish, if you're lucky.

Silver Streak
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Hey no argument here, Dave...just didn't know if you knew of the other option that's available. For me, nothing worse than losing a fish to a bad knot or bad leader, etc.

CBT
03-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Super D
Nice hoochie bodies. I bet that I can tell you where they came from and the color names. Just poking fun glad to see that others like them and do well

IssaquahBob
04-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Dave, absolutely!!!!!!! Hoping to hit Wickiup opener later this month with oldest son. Can you tell me what size/type the blades are and the size of the hooks. Going to try and tie up some rigs; son suggested size 4 hooks and I wondered what you are using here. Bob

SuperD
04-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Bob, the blades are #1 Colorado blades. The solid colors are readily available. The splatter blades I make myself. And yes, #4 hooks are what I've used.

IssaquahBob
04-12-2011, 12:35 AM
SuperD, one more question, what is the name of the stuff you use on the hook eye? Bob

SuperD
04-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Bob, do a search on Owner soft glow beads. 4mm X 6mm.

Kokonuts
04-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Ive just tried out the "Kokanee Bites" from KokaneeTackle.com and101idea101 the top hook is not tied it just slides up & down. They work well so far!!

Check them out! They are one of our sponsers!!

Kokonuts