PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Plantings at Ririe

gonefishing
01-11-2011, 12:00 AM
The Idaho F & G has planted approxiametly 210,000 kokanee each year for the last 3 years which should produce a considerable number of catchable kokanee for the next 3 years. With the lower numbers of 3 year old fish caught last year, the question I am proposing, is the food supply being taxed, or is something running wild in the lake that was illegally introduced and eating the Kokanee. 101shock1101
HMMM? Has anyone ever caught a Mack in this reservior??? How many Walleye have you heard about beight caught up there. The walleye are there, I don't want predators are in the water.

I talked with a gentlemen this week that had his line snaped easly with something pretty significant in size this last year. Something big is growing and lurking in Ririe.

So if you want to protect this Kokanee fishery, you better gear up this year and do your part to start working at catching what every is lurking in these waters.

Lets protect this fishery and get the game on this year.101punch101

TrophyBoat
01-11-2011, 01:39 AM
i am no fish biologist but we have a reservoir here in utah (porqupine) which i have fished for better than 15 years for kokes exclusively and the kokanee population has always been incredible. However the average size of the fish is 12-14" at spawning time at best. They say that there is too many fish for the food available to make bigger fish. The sun doesn't hit the lake till well after its light and same at sunset, so the plankton growing time is ruduced drastically, because the lake is tucked in tightly between mountains.
Possibly that is what is happening at ririe???? to many fish not enough food???

i.e wallowa had an additional food source the kokes were eating(some kind of shrimp) so they plumped up producting 5-9# fish

flaming gorge, low numbers the last 2 years but more larger class fish due to more food available. (solid limits of 4# fish was not untypical)

Maybe a trend, maybe not. you never know and thats why i go fishing.101chromefish101

MMDON
01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Last year we just had a die off of the 3 year old crop. It happens about every third or fourth year at Ririe. This year it will be interesting to see what the impact of the heavy ice fishing is on the lake. The 3 year old crop is doing well for this year so it will be interesting to watch.

gonefishing
01-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Very good point. I have wondered where those fish winter. If it is up by the dam, then they will be fished for agressively by ice fishing, expecially on the weekends.