PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Kokanee Derbys

DLM
01-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Okay folks, here are the dates of this years Kokanee Power Derbys in Oregon.

Green Peter June 11

Crescent Lake July 23

Odell August 20

Wikiup September 17

Yes, Wikiup will have low water at that time, but the fish will be large and easier to find The other option was May, and the weather is just to iffy at that time of year.

Entry forms will be available at the Portland Sportsman show and at the show in Redmond.

We are constructing a new website and as soon as it is up and running there will entry forms there also.

kokaneekid
01-09-2011, 04:23 AM

Green Peter June 11

Crescent Lake July 23

Odell August 20

Wikiup September 17

Yes, Wikiup will have low water at that time, but the fish will be large and easier to find The other option was May, and the weather is just to iffy at that time of year.

Entry forms will be available at the Portland Sportsman show and at the show in Redmond.

We are constructing a new website and as soon as it is up and running there will entry forms there also.

I'm just happy I'm fishing for kok's in September and not Rainbows like last year. Thanks David for posting that so fast... Can't wait to meet up at the sportsman show and share a few stories...awesomereport

Cannon
01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Looking forward to the new locations, especially the one at Wickiup even though it is so late. Crescent is a nice addition and anyway you look at it, the kokanee fishery at LBC is in trouble and not a good destination for a derby, that is unless you want to water ski instead of fish. I am not sure if I will be able to make it to the one at Wickiup, it will conflict with my hunting plans. Anyway, looks like a good spread and it is awesome that we now have our own web site! I am sure it will generate a lot more members that didn't feel good being so closely aligned with the California organization. Good Job you guys! Dave, Brian Russ and Rick for your selections! It would also be nice if the majority of Oregon Kokaholics would get behind the organization! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

skookum9
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Too bad Wickiup's isn't in May, I would have gladly joined in on that one. I've had some great time on that lake and Odell in April and May but then it's over for me. I wish one of these tournaments were offered in the prime time for us surface jiggers. You guys will have too have all the fun without me. Maybe next year spring will get some consideration. In the meantime, I hope that everyone else will have a great time at them.

ronin8181
01-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Green Peter June 11

Crescent Lake July 23

Odell August 20

Wikiup September 17

Are you kidding me Wikiup in September they are all ready spawning. Why no Lake Billy Chinook this year

mrmike
01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Hello I fish Wickupe alot its a shollow lake compared to some and a early lake the water warms up a lot in September actually May is perfect timing just thought i add some info and last year the fish were extremely big 15 inch plus 25 fish limit after july i will switch over to odell deeper and colder

skookum9
01-27-2011, 10:05 PM
I hadn't thought about it but ronin8181 makes a really good point here. The mature kokanee won't even still be in the lake by then. The arm of the lake where a good majority of the fish go to by the first of september will be closed by labor day. I think someone should have given this one a little more thought. Oops. Well, there's bound to be some immature ones still left in the lake. Better bring your ultra-ultra-light gear. :)

ronin8181
01-28-2011, 01:03 PM
It just goes to show you that this group is not organize at all. Should left the derby at Lake Billy Chinook in May. Wikiup will have no fish in it at all. I live in bend and fish Wikiup daily for Kok's . By Aug they are going up the arms to spawn. Why does it take the Weigh in's 4 hours come on Guys you are really turning people away from entering the derby's one more thing Why dont you advertise the Derby's and get a better turn out.

DLM
01-28-2011, 05:17 PM
It just goes to show you that this group is not organize at all. Should left the derby at Lake Billy Chinook in May. Wikiup will have no fish in it at all. I live in bend and fish Wikiup daily for Kok's . By Aug they are going up the arms to spawn. Why does it take the Weigh in's 4 hours come on Guys you are really turning people away from entering the derby's one more thing Why dont you advertise the Derby's and get a better turn out.

For the past week or so we have been discussing changing the date of the Wickiup derby to earlier in summer. We participate and monitor all the kokanee forums and the objections to a September derby at Wickiup have not gone unnoticed. You can be safe in assuming it will not be held in September.

As far as us being disorganized, we are a group of volunteers who donate a great deal of time and energy to provide quality derbys and enhance kokanee fishing throughout the state. Sometimes we get things wrong.

If you are not already a member, I invite you to join up, get involved and help make the organization better. If you are a member we are always looking for more help with derbys, shows, projects and general administration.

David Martin
Kokanee Power of Oregon
Membership Chairman.

Fallriverguy
01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
If you are not already a member, I invite you to join up, get involved and help make the organization better. If you are a member we are always looking for more help with derbys, shows, projects and general administration.

thumbsup

Well said. KPO welcomes ideas and feed back. Get involved and help make the organization better.

kokaneekid
01-29-2011, 12:55 PM

I’ll agree with you that the Wickiup Tournament date is not the best of ideas, but it’s better than fishing at Diamond Lake for rainbows. I don’t fish the Kokanee Power tournaments to make money I fish them to meet other people who have the same passion for kokanee fishing that me & my family have. These tournaments are a family event with a good time to be had by all. Here is some good advice it’s a famous quote with a kokanee twist, “Don’t ask what Kokanee Power can do for you, ask what you can do for Kokanee Power.” I believe this organization is moving in the right direction, and the best way to get it there is to help out. By bad mouthing the Organization you are not only hurting Kokanee Power, but kokanee fishing in Oregon as a whole. There is a ton of high level kokanee fisherman that are involved with kokanee power, and in my opinion some of the best in the world. The best way to improve in a sport is to hang out with people who know more than you. I still have a lot to learn, and have gotten a ton of ideas, and techniques from this core group of people. If you have concerns or question it would be more beneficial for everyone if you talked with the Kokanee Power in person instead of putting it down on a public forum. Kokanee Power will have a booth at the Sportsman show in Portland, stop in and say, “Hi” I think you’ll find out we are just normal individuals with a passion for kokanee fishing. I’ll be helping out at the booth on Feb 10th from 11:00am to 3:00pm stop in and let us change your mind about this wonderful organization.
Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

William Dewey
01-30-2011, 02:38 AM
See my remarks in the Washington forum in the "Kokanee Plants" thread...........Bill Dewey

SmokeOnTheWater
01-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Are your Derby's open to non-residents? If so, I'm interested.

Bduck
01-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Are your Derby's open to non-residents? If so, I'm interested.

Tom, about 5 yrs ago I had a very pleasant phone conversation with Gary Coe with the California Kokanee Power org. At that time he was encouraging me to submit an application for one of or any of the derbies that takes place there. Out of staters are welcomed. I'm almost sure that Oregon is the same. I like the idea of the derbies that Calif & Oregon do put on but now I question about crossing state lines with a boat anymore due to inspections. The agriculture inspection going into Calif is no longer just for agriculture inspections. Once you get in, some of the lakes there are charging fees to further inspections. Yet some lakes that see you have a out of state license won't let you launch at all. Those in Oregon need to chime in on what it takes to do the derbies, license fees, boat inspections, etc.

ronin8181
01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I’ll agree with you that the Wickiup Tournament date is not the best of ideas, but it’s better than fishing at Diamond Lake for rainbows. I don’t fish the Kokanee Power tournaments to make money I fish them to meet other people who have the same passion for kokanee fishing that me & my family have. These tournaments are a family event with a good time to be had by all. Here is some good advice it’s a famous quote with a kokanee twist, “Don’t ask what Kokanee Power can do for you, ask what you can do for Kokanee Power.” I believe this organization is moving in the right direction, and the best way to get it there is to help out. By bad mouthing the Organization you are not only hurting Kokanee Power, but kokanee fishing in Oregon as a whole. There is a ton of high level kokanee fisherman that are involved with kokanee power, and in my opinion some of the best in the world. The best way to improve in a sport is to hang out with people who know more than you. I still have a lot to learn, and have gotten a ton of ideas, and techniques from this core group of people. If you have concerns or question it would be more beneficial for everyone if you talked with the Kokanee Power in person instead of putting it down on a public forum. Kokanee Power will have a booth at the Sportsman show in Portland, stop in and say, “Hi” I think you’ll find out we are just normal individuals with a passion for kokanee fishing. I’ll be helping out at the booth on Feb 10th from 11:00am to 3:00pm stop in and let us change your mind about this wonderful organization.
Fish On kokaneekid

kokaneekid@live.com

WOW So now your JFK what a JOKE. I fish tourn's to make money and have fun. I fish Tournaments all over the country from bass to Walleye to Kok's. That's why they have a Open Form I can talk about anything I want...... MR JFK........First Amendment need i say more. Not saying the organization is bad or the people are. It just to be more organize.

ronin8181
01-30-2011, 02:05 PM
If you read what i wrote I was not bad mouthing the Organization you are not only hurting Kokanee Power, but kokanee fishing in Oregon as a whole. So now your going to attack me as a person WOW. I was just pointing out that fishing at Wickiup would be a waste of time and money for US. The Count of Koks at LBC they say its over 4 mill kok's can you tell me in Oregon what lake has more.

kokaneekid
01-30-2011, 03:15 PM
If you read what i wrote I was not bad mouthing the Organization you are not only hurting Kokanee Power, but kokanee fishing in Oregon as a whole. So now your going to attack me as a person WOW. I was just pointing out that fishing at Wickiup would be a waste of time and money for US. The Count of Koks at LBC they say its over 4 mill kok's can you tell me in Oregon what lake has more.

Would you rather fish at a lake that has a five fish limit of 4 mill kok's that are 8 to 10 inches or a lake with a 25 fish limit of 3 mill kok's 15 to 16 inches? You can crunch all the numbers you want I think the reason LBC is not being fished is because the fish are very small, and last year they had a skin problem. ODFW messed that lake up by dropping the limit to 5 per day and now it is over populated with kokanee. You will see them get smaller & smaller until something is done to fix this problem... This is where I hope Kokanee Power of Oregon might be able to flex some muscle and put this lake back on the kokanee map. It used to be a top kokanee lake in Oregon, but as it is now you couldn't pay me enough to go fish it. If I was going to fish a 5 fish limit lake Wallowa, Paulina or East Lake would be at the top of my list. Nothing like driving 500 miles to bring home ten skinny 8 inch kokanee with skin problems. There is strength in numbers and the more members Kokanee Power has the bigger the voice is to the power above. The direction I hope Kokanee Power goes is way bigger then just a fishing tournament. I hope I didn't offend you & I wasn't tring to give you a bad time so please accept my apology. Just tring to get another kokanee addict to join up with Kokanee Power and keep Oregon on the map for a great place to fish for kokanee. We have the world record, and some great fishing with 25 fish limits this state should be a hot spot of kok's. I lived here for my whole life, and I am looking forward to some great fishing until the good Lord takes me fishing in the sky.

Fish On kokaneekid

ronin8181
01-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Would you rather fish at a lake that has a five fish limit of 4 mill kok's that are 8 to 10 inches or a lake with a 25 fish limit of 3 mill kok's 15 to 16 inches? You can crunch all the numbers you want I think the reason LBC is not being fished is because the fish are very small, and last year they had a skin problem. ODFW messed that lake up by dropping the limit to 5 per day and now it is over populated with kokanee. You will see them get smaller & smaller until something is done to fix this problem... This is where I hope Kokanee Power of Oregon might be able to flex some muscle and put this lake back on the kokanee map. It used to be a top kokanee lake in Oregon, but as it is now you couldn't pay me enough to go fish it. If I was going to fish a 5 fish limit lake Wallowa, Paulina or East Lake would be at the top of my list. Nothing like driving 500 miles to bring home ten skinny 8 inch kokanee with skin problems. There is strength in numbers and the more members Kokanee Power has the bigger the voice is to the power above. The direction I hope Kokanee Power goes is way bigger then just a fishing tournament. I hope I didn't offend you & I wasn't tring to give you a bad time so please accept my apology. Just tring to get another kokanee addict to join up with Kokanee Power and keep Oregon on the map for a great place to fish for kokanee. We have the world record, and some great fishing with 25 fish limits this state should be a hot spot of kok's. I lived here for my whole life, and I am looking forward to some great fishing until the good Lord takes me fishing in the sky.

Fish On kokaneekid

Last year at the LBC tournament all the fish i caught were over 13inches. After the weigh ins I picked up a 2.5lb kok. I have a house at Three rivers I fish the lake every weekend. The fish in May or June have no skin problems. Its Aug when the water warms up

kokaneekid
01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Last year at the LBC tournament all the fish i caught were over 13inches. After the weigh ins I picked up a 2.5lb kok. I have a house at Three rivers I fish the lake every weekend. The fish in May or June have no skin problems. Its Aug when the water warms up

Here you go first place got five fish of a total weight of 2.33lbs, average weight .46lbs. Tenth place picked up five fish at 1.75, average weight .35. If you look at the standings my dad and sister got 4th place with 2.12. That was the only time my family fished that lake because of the size and skin issues. Here is a picture of a 12 inch Odell Lake kokanee we caught late in the season and it weight just under a pound. I would love to see a picture of a 13 inch LBC kokanee that is half the weight of the one in this picture.

LBC - First place 2.33lbs

Green Peter - first place 5.06

Odell Lake – First place 4.01

Maybe my dad gave me incorrect information about the size and condition of the fish at LBC, but I’m not going to call him or my sister a liar.

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=1448

Fish On kokaneekid

ronin8181
01-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Wow this is going no were fast. Your Right i am wrong.......... LBC is not the place for the Derby.. WOW

mrmike
01-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Wickiup is and excellent place for your kokonee tournament great camp sites excellent fishing just needs to be earlier, close or just after memorial day weekend weather could be a factor but when isn't it. looking at your tounament schedule nothing starts till june anyway. the FIRST KICKOFF of the year. Green Peter is nice but windy, and camping isn't good at all and thats just my opinion of course. I'll be the first in line to sign up if Wickiup is choosen/changed to a earilier date.

Fallriverguy
01-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Wickiup will not be in September. Earlier dates are being considered at this time.

SmokeOnTheWater
01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't know if you guys are foolin around but it sure doesn't sound like it!tooexcited

Never mind about answering my question above. There is far too much DRAMA in Oregon for me! fencing

KEEP YOUR KOKES! I'll keep fishing for the 6#ers that live in Flaming Gorge! 101chromefish101

skookum9
02-01-2011, 03:18 AM
The earlier the better for the kokes in Wickiup as far as I'm concerned. Opening weekend would be just perfect, usually. But hey, if the tournament isn't until later, that's okay by me too because it'll just give me a little less competition while I'm there. Either way, I'll come out a winner. Hope you all have a great koke season this year.

skyhammer
02-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Tom, about 5 yrs ago I had a very pleasant phone conversation with Gary Coe with the California Kokanee Power org. At that time he was encouraging me to submit an application for one of or any of the derbies that takes place there. Out of staters are welcomed. I'm almost sure that Oregon is the same. I like the idea of the derbies that Calif & Oregon do put on but now I question about crossing state lines with a boat anymore due to inspections. The agriculture inspection going into Calif is no longer just for agriculture inspections. Once you get in, some of the lakes there are charging fees to further inspections. Yet some lakes that see you have a out of state license won't let you launch at all. Those in Oregon need to chime in on what it takes to do the derbies, license fees, boat inspections, etc.

This is my experience fishing Oregon lakes vrs. fishing CA. Lakes.
In 2009 I planned on fishing as many CA Kokanee as possible on a month long trip.
10 days into the trip, I packed up and left for home. The reason was cost of boat inspections. If I fished the lakes I had originally planned, the cost for inspections would have been nearly $1000.
Almost every lake wanted to do their own inspections, even if you had just had your boat inspected at a lake 20 miles away the day before.
My local lake(Ruth) is a prime example. The inspection is $30, then you have a $10 sticker for your trailer, the sticker is good for a year. Then you have a $2 fee for a card lock for the ramp.Then when you leave and you think that you won't be going to any other body of water, you buy a band that links your boat to the trailer for $3.
Now if I go to another body of water, the band is removed and I pay to have another inspection done at the new lake.
When I go back to Ruth, I have to pay again for another inspection.
Now I travel to Oregon, the distance is nearly the same, but the costs are much lower.
In 2010, Oregon doubled the price of the 1 year out of state license, but it is still a bargain.
I paid about $150 for the license, 2 rod stamp, Indian permit(LBC), and the $22 boat inspection fee, for which there is no inspection done.
I was able to fish, Paulina, East, Wickiup, Crescent, Odell, Crane Prairie, and LBC for no additional fees. If in CA, it would have cost me about $300 or more inspection fees. I made the trip to Oregon 3 times last Summer, so I saved nearly $1000 in fees vrs. fishing CA lakes.
I saw and talked many law enforcement folks and no one gave me or my boat a look. I wasn't even asked to show my license.
Now, coming back into CA with my boat has been a mixed bag.The first time, I was kept at the border inspection station on Highway 199 for nearly 6 hours. They didn't know what to do about my boat, they eventually gave up and let me go home.
My other two trips back were more efficient. They just looked at the exterior of boat, wanted to know how well I did fishing and let me go in just a few minutes.
Besides, being cheaper as far a inspections go, fuel was $.30/gal cheaper, camping was cheaper, no launch fees, and no sales tax.

mrmike
02-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Woo, what a eye opener about traveling abroad thanks for the heads up. I quess we are a little spoiled,here in Oregon

SmokeOnTheWater
02-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks SkyHammer! What an eye opener indeed. Sounds like all the state fisheries biologists have jumped on the band wagon to raise new money and stick it to us at the same time. Charge inspection fees for no inspection. What a racket!

DLM
02-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Most of you probably saw this on the other thread but I thought I would re-post it here anyway.
Here is what is on the Oregon Marine Board website

What about out-of-state visitors?

Non-resident motor boaters who trailer a boat into the state and launch in Oregon's waters are required to purchase a non-resident permit. The permit costs $22 ($20 permit + $2 agent fee).
Permits will be available ONLY through ODFW license agents, ODFW offices that sell licenses and on the ODFW web site.
Out-of-state permits will not be sold through boat registration agents or the Oregon State Marine Board.

Kokaneegal
02-13-2011, 11:37 PM
My husband and I would like to get in on a derby or two this year. Never have been in one before. Where can I find out all of the details, rules, etc.? We fish East, Paulina, Wallowa and Green Peter.

DLM
02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
My husband and I would like to get in on a derby or two this year. Never have been in one before. Where can I find out all of the details, rules, etc.? We fish East, Paulina, Wallowa and Green Peter.

The dates are on our website at kokaneepoweroregon.com and there will be entry forms there soon for all four derbies.

dragonfly
01-27-2012, 12:18 PM
i was just wondering why wallowa lake isn't concedered for the derbys, it has the biggist fish, very nice people at the lodge and camping near by or is there something im missing ? justttttthinking out loud

Cannon
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
i was just wondering why wallowa lake isn't concedered for the derbys, it has the biggist fish, very nice people at the lodge and camping near by or is there something im missing ? justttttthinking out loud
Well.... Thank you for your offer to step up and organize this event! The rest of us are already about tapped out and we really appreciate you willingness to step up and organize this one!
Honestly, the members of the board (all seven of us) are doing enough already as far as volunteering. If you are interested in taking this club to the next level, then we need you, and you over there, and you out yonder to make it happen.
...Just thinking out loud violin Just call me burned out in Oregonbandmyhead

dragonfly
01-27-2012, 02:39 PM
down boy. i didn't mean adding it to your line up now, just wanted to know why it is not concidered i.e is it too far away , no body interested ,fish limit etc. we are a kokanee club after all.by the way im a lousey organizer but would like to help out with the sportsman show i have friday available if that helps if you can p m

Cannon
01-27-2012, 03:30 PM
down boy. i didn't mean adding it to your line up now, just wanted to know why it is not concidered i.e is it too far away , no body interested ,fish limit etc. we are a kokanee club after all.by the way im a lousey organizer but would like to help out with the sportsman show i have friday available if that helps if you can p m
PM Sent.
I am not attacking you, I am just pointing out that we (the board) need help putting these events on. Wallowa has been considered, but putting on four derbies a year is a stretch for the man power that we have. We would love to add to our lineup of derbies but that will take more of the members stepping up to put those events on.