PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new member...

kelson
01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I am glad to have found this forum. I love, I mean love kokanee fishing. I live in the Seattle area and have focused my efforts on a couple of bodies of water with pretty good success. I've been told that this is a late May until they spawn fishery and I have had my best success in June and early July. Does anyone fish them in the winter in cool/colder climates? Any insights or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year All and many tight lines.
K

gonefishing
01-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Welcome to the KFF. Check out the Montana and Idaho Forums. There is alot of ice Fishing for Kokanee in some areas of both states. If it didn't freeze up over here, I would fish for them all winter. Of course the later you wait the bigger the 3 yr old fish get.

I am not an Ice fisherman, but you will find alot of information if you just look around in the forum. You can ask questions and even send a PM and most memebers will get back to you with information.

Ice fishing for Kokanee = Jigging for starters.

Good Fishing

rebelsportsman
01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
welcome to the KFF. i am new to kokanee fishing, so i cannot give you any help.

Guy
01-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Welome kelson I had excellent fishing on the eastside last year in February fish were on top no weight but it was an early ice out, lake Roosevelt on the other hand should be picking up so i would give it a try if I were you, They wont be as big but still great eating, as soon as duck season is over I will be out.

kelson
01-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks to Guy, gonefishing and rebelsportsman for the welcome and information. I have read a bit about jigging and may give that a try. I just hate to spend all winter not connecting with "those tasty morsels". Again thanks all. I'll be back. BTW....if you haven't tried the Yozuri snap beans....give them a try. Unfortunately you can only buy them in sets of two, one is larger one smaller.....the smaller one kicks butt at times. I re-rig them with small split rings and small drop shot red hooks. Anyway that's my tip.

Cheers, K

Kokonuts
01-08-2011, 02:54 PM
101welcomw Glad to have you on this forum!

If you ever get a chance to come down south , I'll be at Lake Merwin starting in March! Thats a little early for the best fishing but I cant stay away ANY LONGER!!

Kokonuts tooexcited

kelson
01-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the invite Kokonuts. March koks....I like the sound of that. I haven't fished Merwin before, but have read some reports and guide sites that it can be quite good.
Do you mind me asking about your techniques that time of year? I have wondered about trolling deeper just like later in the summer. I fish Lk. Stevens quite a bit, but usually target late May through late July. At that time the bite is shallow going deeper as the weather warms, the fishing pressure increases and then there is marked increase in water skiing.

Thanks in advance for any info.

SilverBullets
01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Welcome aboard kelson! I mainly troll but have been getting into jigging alot the last couple years. Check back through the Archive's here for some good info and don't hesitate to ask any questions...signfishin

kelson
01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Silver Bullets....
Thanks much for the welcome. I see you are the moderator. Any idea as to why the site might be running slow on my PCs?
When I was a kid and you could target Koks in Lake Washington we did a lot of still fishing with single eggs, maggots and feed eggs. All my recent experience is trolling. If jigging is a better way to coax them on board, I'm there.
BTW..as mentioned earlier....I experiment in all my fising. I picked up some of the Yozuri Snap Beans last year and was very pleased with the results. They actually out fished some of the old stand bys. I changed out the hooks from the single treble to a two drop shot rig, added some of my favorite corn and well you know the fun part.

Thanks again, K.

SilverBullets
01-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Silver Bullets....
Thanks much for the welcome. I see you are the moderator. Any idea as to why the site might be running slow on my PCs?
When I was a kid and you could target Koks in Lake Washington we did a lot of still fishing with single eggs, maggots and feed eggs. All my recent experience is trolling. If jigging is a better way to coax them on board, I'm there.
BTW..as mentioned earlier....I experiment in all my fising. I picked up some of the Yozuri Snap Beans last year and was very pleased with the results. They actually out fished some of the old stand bys. I changed out the hooks from the single treble to a two drop shot rig, added some of my favorite corn and well you know the fun part.

Thanks again, K.

The site running slow has been discussed here: http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=4072

Fishing in Lake Washington for kokes huh? I"ve also read of them being in Lake Sammamish...wish I would have been into kokanee fishing when I lived between those lakes years ago. 101duh101

Kokonuts
01-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Kelson, I start in March just to get the kinks out & test some new "STUFF" that I make up over the winter.

The fish are are in the top 10 ft. or so at that time & I troll with the D.R.s just so I dont have to use any weight on the line. I like using Dodgers & Wedding Rings, Hoochies, Apex lures wich are the 3 main types that I use all season. Try to match the colors of the dodgers & lures. Pink & Chartreuse were the hot ones last year. Color combo's are endless so you'll want to add a few more as the season moves on.
Merwin is not a hard lake to fish , just start from the Speilai Bay launch & head west, both the North & South sides are good.
Dont forget the Corn & Berkley Pink Maggots! Both were real good last year!

If you do decide to come down send me a PM first!

signfishin..Kokonuts

kelson
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM
SilverBullets, I was in error regarding Lk. Wash. You can still fish Koks there, but not in Sammamish. I never fished Sammamish in the "good old days", but did know a guy who did. Tight lipped for sure, but did get some really nice fish. I do fish it for Cutts in the winter and there are some dandies there.

Kokonuts,
I will PM you for sure if I decide to head down that way. And thanks for the tips on the gear.

Tight lines all,
K