PDA

View Full Version : When

Kokanee-Toni
01-04-2011, 01:32 AM
Since I am somewhat new to kokanee fishing...when can I start fishing for them (yr. round lakes) with a chance of catching?

oldguy43
01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
They catch them through the ice in eastern washington and I have caught them on lake sammanish all winter fishing for cutts ( have to release them)

Kokonuts
01-04-2011, 05:50 PM
I start about the first of March at Lake Merwin, which is real early but I just cant wait any longer!!
Plus the early start gives me a chance to try out all the new "STUFF"!!!

Kokonuts tooexcited

kokanee_slayer
01-05-2011, 01:23 AM
I haven't been out since mid Oct and am getting Cabin Fever so I've got the bug as well. Unless the weather is real crappy, I will probably go out this weekend. I tend to hit the lakes that are open for year round fishing early every year and you can catch Koks through the winter months. However, it has been my experience that the action doesn't really start picking up until the water temp hits about 54 degrees. Regardless it's still nice being out on the water.

Bluknight
01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Looking at my log I started last year I apparently started in April on Merwin / Yale. This coincided to the Columbia River springer season turning into a no longer enjoyable to fish mad house!

My start time will likely depend on the same thresh hold this year.

KOK head
01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
That a good ? Kokanee-Ton! I think you can go to lake wa. and still hook up with some nice kokanee , just remember you cant keep them any bigger then 15inchs !

Get'nJiggy
01-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Got my first one March 6th last year at Yale. It was on a shake down run to get the cobwebs out of the boat. April is when it really starts for me.

smokin' Kokes
02-15-2011, 06:45 AM
watch the wind on the early Merwin Yale fishing

comes up really fast out of the east. makes the ride back ROUGH

rain gear and a top mandatory

fish the surface

had to tow 2 knuckleheads back 2 miles against the storm last year on Rufus Woods on their 10' pontoon "boats with electrics" last year after a high winds thunder lightning storm with 40 mph winds blew in.

Kokanee Kid
03-04-2011, 05:19 PM
You are not new, you have 1 season under your belt! Just listen to koke slayer and do what he does and you will be dialed in in no time. I'm just a hack who only fishes for the dumb ones thumbsup

eenakoK
03-04-2011, 05:24 PM
You are not new, you have 1 season under your belt! Just listen to koke slayer and do what he does and you will be dialed in in no time. I'm just a hack who only fishes for the dumb ones thumbsup

Whatever sir! You were the one that really got me going. You sure know how to get them!

I will be out starting in May ( maybe in April). It will be good to get out there again!

Kokonuts
03-04-2011, 07:48 PM
The Early Season that I was hoping for is a lost cause, its still way to cold to be out at Lake Merwin!

Kokonuts 101no101

kokaguy1
03-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Kokonuts let us know how you did this weekend at Merwin. I might drag the boat out next weekend if the weather isn't too ugly. I have the fever real bad this year not msure I can wait until the 1st of April when I normally start. good luck!!!!

kokaguy1
03-04-2011, 11:28 PM
10' pontoon w/electrics.....I'm sorry but that's nonsense, irresponsible, just not very smart with no respect for the water..... good lord what were they thinking.....oh wait.....they weren't.

Kokonuts
03-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Kokonuts let us know how you did this weekend at Merwin. I might drag the boat out next weekend if the weather isn't too ugly. I have the fever real bad this year not msure I can wait until the 1st of April when I normally start. good luck!!!!

There is still snow at the Campers Hideaway so I'll be taking the boat up as soon as it melts. Hold off for a couple of weeks! The fishing wont be good until the water warms up!

Kokonuts

kokanee_slayer
03-05-2011, 01:20 AM

Kid, No Way...You are the one who schooled me and have out fished me most of the time. I just get lucky every once in a while.

skookum9
03-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Kokaguy1, I would suggest that you might be surprised at how well some of those pontoon boats can handle the wind and water. Not all of them are created the same. I fully intend to fish from my 12' this spring and have no doubt that I can handle the winds that these lakes throw with nothing more than a set of oars if need be. Of course, with that said, I fully intend to be using a small gas motor as well. I think it should be said that it has more to do with knowing ones limitations than to do with the type of boat they chose. Worst case scenario with a boat like that, you only have to row over to any given shore and carry the boat to the road and then walk back to get the truck to come load up. At 12' my entire boat weighs about 70lbs and is a sinch to carry in a pinch. With any luck, you'll likely be seeing me on Yale sometime this month and maybe a little in April. Just look for the pontoon that's throwing jigs at the jumpers.

smokin' Kokes
03-05-2011, 09:46 AM
The Fisherman's Prayer
by Thomas Keats

When far from land on the stormy sea
There are times when my boat seems frail to me
Where the rising wind and the monstrous waves
Have sent many souls to their watery graves

When the fog shuts down and blacks out the shore
And the heavy seas on the rocks do roar
Where the hidden shoal and the tricky tide
Could mean my doom without a guide

In times like this our hearts sometime fail
And we fear we'll be lost in the stormy gale
Our thoughts go back to our friends on shore
And loved ones whom we'll probably see no more

But then at last there is a light
Shining through the gloom like a beacon bright
It is our faith in Our Lord we see
Who rules the raging of the sea

Our thoughts go back to the story true
Of Our Lord who protects His disciples crew
Who were fishermen just like me
And we follow their tradition of the sea

So now all fishermen be of good cheer
And always remember Your Lord is near
The word of a hymn which can give courage to thee
Are "Jesus Saviour, Pilot Me"

skookum9
03-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Smokin' Kokes, that is an awesome poem, thanks for posting it. I've never been on water that made me feel that way but I sure have known life's stormy seas that put me right there. I do love my Saviour, Jesus Christ. And I love to hear from others that they do too. In this modern day there are far too few with such courage, and I commend you. I hope to meet you out there on the water one day. I won't be hard to spot. Either be in a 17' Whaler Montauk or in my 12' 'toon, depending on how many people are with me. In either case, I'll be the one out there "jiggin' it".
Good luck fishing,
God Bless

GoDucks12
03-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Fished Merwin last weekend. It was wicked wet and a little breezy. fished from about 9-2 had one bite and one fish. Still a bit slow but fun on the water.

skookum9
03-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the update, GoDucks12. I'm hoping I might actually get to hit either Merwin or Yale next weekend. Did you see many fish rising on the surface? Hoping to really nail 'em good when I get to go.