PDA

View Full Version : Ball Trolls?

SilverBullets
10-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Just wondered what your opinion on these are. In my experience, we always start out the day with them on one side of the boat to see which rod gets more hits. I use Vance's trolls in tandem, and let out line to where the dodger is around 4' up and 2' in back of the trolls. Some days they prefer this where I fish. Generally when the sun gets directly over head, this gets to be too much flash for them, we then remove them and fish one set-up close and the other farther back to see what puts more fish in the boat. I only use the ball trolls when fishing at a depth of at least 40', so that I can stay close to the trolls with my set-up, and be within the black box range, and make tight turns. We let the fish decide what they want, and go from there. Are these productive where you fish? I have read that some say trolls attract predatory fish, as they supposedly mimic wounded bait fish, but in my experience they attract kokanee to my presentation when the fish are spread out... lots of flash and vibration.

Digi-Troller
10-03-2008, 01:40 AM
I've used ball trolls on occasion at Flaming Gorge. I actually am one that will claim that the multiple spinning blades attract predator fish. I've noticed an increased catch rate of mackinaw while using ball trolls. We always pick a few up while trolling for kokes, but the ball trolls seem to attract more of these predators. Its a good topic that you bring up, and I am very curious to know what others experiences have shown.

Kokaholic
10-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I Have fished with one and found that the catch rate was a little higher on that rod that was on that ball troll set up. Could it have been the paticular squid,lure set up that was on that pole? who knows. But I think they are very effective.