PDA

View Full Version : Lake 5

Jim F
12-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Made it up there this AM, but not early enough. I got there at about 10:30 and the action was pretty much over, but there where LOTS of fish on the ice from other people! I'm going again bright and early tomorrowthumbsup

montanafishin
12-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Really wish I was making plans to go fishing instead of going to the mall in California with the family . I think there were more people in the mall than in the entire state!

Jim F
12-23-2010, 11:39 PM
From what I saw on my fish finder, there will be plenty left when you get back. Frustrating to watch a black screen for 4 hours and not be able to raise a bite. I tried everything.

Jim F
12-24-2010, 04:55 PM
today, in a half hour, then game over

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/PC240005_edited-1.jpg

LarryPhan
12-24-2010, 09:03 PM
nice kokanees !!!!!! good job im going to head up during new years maybe we can meet up on the ice

Jim F
12-25-2010, 11:51 AM
You got my number, give me a shout a day or 2 before.
They bit before light, gotta get up early :D

montanafishin
12-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Merry Christmas everyone

Jim F
12-28-2010, 06:49 PM
I spent 9 hours on Lake 5 today,(6AM-3PM), only got 3 fish, & no one else set the world on fire either. Weather was warm, windy, rain /snow and generally unsettled. Barometer was way down too.
Not impressed :D

LarryPhan
12-28-2010, 08:21 PM
its okay this weekend for sure we will get'em all of them :)

Jim F
12-29-2010, 11:35 AM
They are saying -6F Friday and 0 on Saturday,
BURRRRRRRRRR, you got'em Ice house?

Neptune
12-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Fished today from 7:30-2:00, lots of fish on the finder and on the camera. They would chase the flasher on the drop but then bolt when it stopped. Only got 4 fish all on different color droppers and peppered throughout the day no hot bite time.

I think this weather has them a bit lock jawed. No one was firing it up. Heard one group that was there from 0 dark thirty til about 1 got 16 fish between 3 of them....like any lake this one can be red hot one day and dead then next.

Jim F
12-30-2010, 09:30 PM
we're going in the AM if ya'd like to join in the fun. At least we'll have someone to BS with if its dead :D

Jim F
12-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Well, the weather man was wrong again, not -6 but -17 degrees there this morning!

10 more nice kokes though signfishin
Met up with Larry, had a good time despite the cold

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/PC312641_edited-1.jpg

Jim F
12-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Oh yeah, the bite was good from 7-7:45 am, then nuttin'

Thunda
01-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Hey Jim & Neptune, could you help me with a question?

Im used to fishing for Kokanee on Georgetown, How does the Kokanee fishing up in the flathead differ? I know the Kok's are a little larger up here.

A couple of my buddies use different techniques than I am used to. Have either of you fished Georgetown?

Any tips for up here? Beaver, Five, Bitteroot(?)

Jim F
01-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Welcome aboard Thunda,

I've never fished G-town, so I dont know what you use there.
I have for years, used a Swedish pimple as a flasher/jig with a hook suspended below. Varying hook and flasher colors till you find what works. Almost any glow hook will produce. When they are "on the bite" it doesnt seem to matter much what it is. Years ago, I used the pimple with the original treble and maggots and done well too. One year glow trebles where killer. Lately, doesnt seem to be so.

There where 2 guys catching kokes on a small, white, shrimpy looking flies, just off the bottom, the fish seemed to be smaller down there.

I'm heading to Lake 5 Tuesday morning, wanna go?

Thunda
01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks Jim for the info and the invite. Have to work on tuesday morning but maybe another day?

I use the same setup. However some of the people I have talked to use a longer rod and fish about the same time you do or throughout the day.

On Georgetown we always did best early morning at lets say 3- 6 am and then from about 7 or 8 am on fished for rainbows. We also ALWAYS fished with a light in the hole. Have you ever tried this up here? Or do you use other attractors?

Jim F
01-03-2011, 03:22 AM
with a little notice I can go anytime day or night. I just got home from up there. 2 of us, from 8 till midnight got 25 fish, He had a light submerged. Same type of rigging. Most at 15 feet, some 1 foot under the ice. I got there at 4pm to catch the dying light, only got 2 during the transition to dark. The guy I fished with, has fished there for 25 years, he says he caught over 700 salmon there last winter. I can believe it, because he kicked my ass tonight & I'm usually the one to do that!

I do think the longer rod makes a difference. more leverage = faster acceleration for the hook set. He was using 5' rods, & I wasn't, he was hooking, I was missing.

Jim F
01-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Headed up an hour before daylight, anybody going?

Neptune
01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Was the guy you fished with named Kevin? If so He taught me how to fish for Kokes...

with a little notice I can go anytime day or night. I just got home from up there. 2 of us, from 8 till midnight got 25 fish, He had a light submerged. Same type of rigging. Most at 15 feet, some 1 foot under the ice. I got there at 4pm to catch the dying light, only got 2 during the transition to dark. The guy I fished with, has fished there for 25 years, he says he caught over 700 salmon there last winter. I can believe it, because he kicked my ass tonight & I'm usually the one to do that!

I do think the longer rod makes a difference. more leverage = faster acceleration for the hook set. He was using 5' rods, & I wasn't, he was hooking, I was missing.

Jim F
01-04-2011, 06:06 PM
No his name was Calvin.
I don't know Kevin, but I know who he is and he was there one of the first days I went there.

IT was horribly slow today. I was the big dog with only 3 fish101thumbsdown101

got there at 6 AM, 3 fish instantly then nothing.

Thunda
01-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Kevin is the guy who originally told me about the longer rod a few years back. However I had been fishing on georgetown for 15 years and never noticed anyone with a long rod. We always used a light.

Kevin at the time didn't use a light and it seemed to me not too many guys up here did.

If a 5' rod gives you such an advantage, why not use a 7' rod? a 10'? or a 60' spaghetti noodle for that matter?

I think the longer rod helps the PERSON set the hook better. Example- Most begginers to ice fishing try to set the hook like the fish is a shark or a bass. You know what im talking about, they hit the top of the shed with there rod and wonder HOW they didn't hook the fish. Takes a while with a smaller rod to learn to hook kokanee.

I do know that the light works at bringing them in for sure. So i think ill try some different rods and see if this helps up here.

montanafishin
01-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Has anyone been up to lake 5 recently. Was thinking about heading up in the morning .
Nick

montanafishin
01-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Has anyone been up to lake 5 recently. Was thinking about heading up in the morning .
Nick

Jim F
01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Last I was there was Friday night, 8 til midnight,
one fish was it, and hardly any bites, nice out there though, warm, and the whole lake all to myself
I was in between fish finders, old one dead, got a new one Saturday. So I have no clue what was down there.

LarryPhan
01-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Jim bummer about the fishing on friday and your fish finder. I hope you like your new one. ill keep you posted on the Lakers on Flathead.

asoom toto
03-15-2011, 02:38 PM
good fish this smull

woodbutcher
12-21-2011, 10:23 PM
2 years ago i fished ecko and caught my limit easy but the last 2 years it has been difficult and their are less fisherman on the ice, yet the stocking reports show they put lots of small kokes in. may be i will have to come with you jim to five, to get some action

Jim F
12-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Wood,
Likely going Monday morning, montanafishin (Nick ) might be going Fri morning.
I got appointments Friday cant go early

meat magnet
12-29-2011, 11:23 AM
I dont know if u like gettn up early but salmon fishn on lake 5 at 5am 75 percent of the time is awsm. glow in the dark swedish with tiny glow ratfinky

meat magnet
12-29-2011, 11:26 AM
im gonna try goergetown tmro. i guess lake mary has 6 inches of ice. bitn good at nit time and early am

meat magnet
12-29-2011, 11:30 AM
last year i switched to a fly dropper and it happened. a little size 18 scud
but i think the rainbow in there have put a smash on em. every year they plant 500000 rainbow according to fish and game