PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar Detailing

SilverBullets
12-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Anyone here ever use a clay bar to detail their vehicals? I had never heard of this being done until recently and thought I'd give it a try. The hood on my truck had what looked like contaminates etched right into the paint from the day I bought it back in 2007. I tried removing it with light rubbing compound and it didn't seem to touch it. Even the tinted windows had hard water spots that were very noticable. After doing the clay bar treatment the other day I'm totally shocked on how well it worked! It's amazing what this stuff will remove. The spots are totally gone now and the paint feels smooth as silk...just thought I'd share if you've never heard this product.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBCiRQMUUjI&feature=related

DLM
12-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Any idea how good it would work on aluminum? I found a couple websites that say it does work on aluminum, but no pictures or videos that I could find showing the result.

Is it a polish or does it just remove stuff on the surface?

SilverBullets
12-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Any idea how good it would work on aluminum? I found a couple websites that say it does work on aluminum, but no pictures or videos that I could find showing the result.

Is it a polish or does it just remove stuff on the surface?

I'm not sure about aluminum. I think it's mainly used on clear coated paint sufaces...might work on fiberglass. You need to use a lubricant designed to let the clay glide across the surface. The cantaminants it removes are paint over-spray, acid rain, tree sap, airborn metal particals, bird droppings and brake dust. The stuff isn't cheap...I just priced it over at a automotive paint supply store and they want $25 for just the clay bar. I got the Mothers kit that included 2 80 gram clay bars, 16 0z detailer lubricant spray and microfiber towel for around $11...half price at Schucks Auto Supply. It isn't a polish. You need to first wash the vehical, dry, clay bar, polish then wax.

skyhammer
12-15-2010, 09:49 AM
I have used clay bars for years. If you feel a little grit on the clear coat when the car is clean, the clay bar will make it as smooth as a babies bottom.
They also make a version where the clay is suspended in a fluid. It doesn't work as well as the bar, but it is easier to put on and take off and you don't have to be as carefull as you do when using the bar.
If the bar is not wet enough or you apply to much pressure, it is possible to do some damage to the paint.