PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System Corrosion

SmokeOnTheWater
12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Looking for 1st hand information on internal fuel system corrosion. We see many advertisements on TV about long-term boat storage (winters in Utah) and how the use of the product Stabil and now Marine Stabil will save you BIG BUCKS. Then there was much talk of how ethanol in the gasoline is the major culprit in the fuel system corrosion. I saw an ad in one of my outdoor magazines for a product called Star Tron and how it prevents phase seperation of ethanol in the gasoline. If there are any mechanics or fellow boaters reading this post that can provide a no BS recommendation, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Does this stuff really work?

What is considdered "Long Term Storage"?

What is actually causing the corrosion? Is it the ethanol or water in the fuel?

I've used these products sporadically without any problems but now wonder if I'm just wasting my money?

Full_Monte
12-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Hi there Smoke,

I know a little about this, but don't live in a harsh environment like you do. Stabil is good stuff. I use it in any gas I'm going to store for awhile. I empty my boat cans into the car after every trip, so I'm not storing too much. (Note that I am putting in pure gas, not premixed oil and gas. Doing that would potentially hurt your car's catalytic converter). However, if you are using built-in gas tanks, I would put Stabil in it and fill the tanks all the way. The reason for this is that rising and falling temperatures inside a gas tank create condensation just like it does on your lawn over night.
These droplets of water slide down the sides of the tank and go to the bottom. (Water is heavier than gas). By keeping your tanks full, you keep the temperature of the tank walls from going up and down so much, and you are covering the interior surface of the tank where condensation can happen.
Ethanol will soak up any water in the tank until it can't soak up anymore. What you don't want is a pool of water building up in the bottom of your tank. It can eventually rust through. That's one of the advantages of plastic tanks...they don't rust. But you don't want water in them either as it will get into your engine and cause you problems.
As far as expense goes, I think the cost of rusty gas tanks, carburetor kits,
filters and labor would far outweigh the preventative maintenance costs.
If you are storing gas for more than a year, even using Stabil, I would mix in some higher octane gas before using it, just to make sure it has some good volatile components in it. BTW...I only use Chevron or Union 76 (both owned by the same company) for my boat fuel. That Techron additive is a great product that will keep the inside of your engine really clean.

twisted lines
12-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Keep using it. 2cents If you have ever pumped out the gas when it separated it sucks

AFDan52
12-13-2010, 12:17 AM
I have to agree with twisted Lines and Monte on this one. Stabill and a full tank are the right way to go. I have been told that the Ethanol in today's gas will also dry out your Rubber fuel lines too so that is something else we might want to look into and watch out for. I 've heard of the Star Tron stuff , but don't know anything about it. Just my 2cents worth.