PDA

View Full Version : Here fishy fishy!

Pogue
12-06-2010, 05:40 PM
My Jet pen lathe was acting up, so I borrowed a Delta midi lathe from my dad. It seemed a little funny turning little candlefish plugs on it that arte only 4"x1/2", so I decided to turn something as long as the table of the midi lathe. This one is 14" long (a 4"x1/2" next to it for comparison). I'm going to add the hook (size 12) tomorrow to finish it off.

twisted lines
12-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Nice! big but nice! Mind sharing some details like wood type, primers sealer and paint's

Pogue
12-11-2010, 04:10 PM
I had a piece of 4x4 layin around in the garage for a while, so I cut a piece for this. I think the wood is fir, I don't know. After I turned it, I sprayed it with some rattle can primer and three coats of white, also rattle can, I start off all my plugs this way. After it dried, I sprayed three coats of acrylic pearl white as a base. The scale is white acrlic with silver across the back and olive green over that. You don't really see much of the silver, I tried to leave just a hint of it along the edge of the olive back. After everything dried, I sprayed a couple of clear acrlyic clear over the entire thing, this is a sacrificial coat that if there are any issues with the top coat will save the paint job from running. The top coat for this is just rattle can clear gloss. I figured that it was just for show, so I just gave it some shine and something to protect it a little.

What I did with this was I painted the name of a local fishing shop on it and gave it to them for their store. They are a really nice couple, and I thought they would like it (I don't know what I was goint to do with it, but now I think I'll make another along with a few different shapes just for fun!)