PDA

View Full Version : Rainshadow RDR76L Kokanee Build

spanishfly
12-02-2010, 08:58 PM
I just got all the parts together and I'm starting the build of this rod today. I have to say the micro guides are smaller then I thought they would be once I have them in hand. I'm going to do a spiral wrap on this rod based on the batson recommendation.
http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_01922.JPG
http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_01932.JPG

sawtooth
12-03-2010, 10:15 PM
I am looking to build another downrigger rod for kokes this winter and was wondering how the flex of the RDR76L compares to say a 3 or 4 wt. flyrod blank. Also, does the fiberglass in the blank add much to it's total weight? Last year I built a spiral wrapped downrigger rod on a 3wt. rainshadow blank and it is a total blast to catch kokes on. My only complaint is that it is a little long (8'4") to net and fight the fish at the same time. This only happens when my son and I pick up a double and we are both fighting fish.tooexcited I like the length of the rod blank you are building on but I don't want to loose the feel and light weight of the flyrod blank.

spanishfly
12-04-2010, 01:10 AM
I think the weight ratio is great for this rod and it feels great in my hand right now. I've glued the handle and wrapped the first four guides. I post a picture next week after I get it wrapped and I'll put a weight on it so you can see the flex. My son built a rod on a fly blank also last year but he went spinning with regular guides. The pole is a blast but I think I'm going to like this one better (Then again it's the new toy.)

sawtooth
12-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Did you go with a cork grip or did you go graphite? I put an American Tackle Matrix graphite grip on my downrigger rod last year and it not only looks great but also works well in the rod holder. They are a bit spendy though so I am not sure if I will build my next rod with one. I wish there was a cheap source for graphite tubing, so I could make my own graphite grip.

spanishfly
12-04-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm still a cork guy, I haven't converted yet. You can get the 12" tube from mudhole for $12.oo I believe.

trollmonkey
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM
SF I like the cork also,its just expensive.I've was lucky enough to find some cork sticks cheap once but I can't remember where,maybe Mudhole.Of course I haven't seen any since.I like the feel of cork and the ease of shaping.I wonder how the graphite handle compares in feel?Also curious about the mini guides ,I've been using regular guides spiraled on my trolling rods.Are the minis lighter or single foot?101chromefish101

spanishfly
12-05-2010, 12:15 AM
The minis are super light and are single foot. You can see them in the second picture I posted.