PDA

View Full Version : downriggers

rebelsportsman
11-15-2010, 10:53 PM
i was given a downrigger and the motor is not running. it is a cannon mini mag. the motor is a bosch and i was wondering how hard it is to change the motor and where do you get new motors.

lowe1648mt
11-16-2010, 01:14 AM
I asume you checked the power sorce, so you will need to remove the side screws and check the intrernal fuse/curcuit breaker. Changing the motor is easy. To find a new motor, just go on the web and type in down riggers. one of the site that will come up will be selling parts.

rebelsportsman
11-16-2010, 09:59 AM
i have power to the motor. it looks like there are only 2 screws holding it on. it has been sitting in the guys garage for years he said.
thanks

lowe1648mt
11-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Feeling adventurous? Might try disassembling the motor and cleaning the armture and brushes. If you are going to buy a new motor anyway, you cant hurt it and will learn something.

SuperD
11-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Cannon parts, with exception of the motherboards are warrantied for life. Go to the Cannon website and see where the nearest certified Cannon service location is to you. Bad news is you may have voided your warranty by opening the unit.

Bduck
11-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Cannon parts, with exception of the motherboards are warrantied for life. Go to the Cannon website and see where the nearest certified Cannon service location is to you. Bad news is you may have voided your warranty by opening the unit.

Yea, I think were on this one Dave about warranties. This is great advise rebelsportsman.

rebelsportsman
11-16-2010, 06:02 PM
the motor has been off before as the 2 screws that hold it on are stripped out. i am going to take it by a service center and let them look at it. i did check into the lifetime warranty and it is for the original owner only. i do not have a store receit for it so i am not covered. after close observations, it looks like it may have gotten wet. even buying a new motor, i think i am going to like it. if i do i will probably by a second one, but i think a manual one would work better for me.

SuperD
11-16-2010, 06:38 PM
mini mags were discontinued a few years back so that might be another small hurdle. I'm betting you could pick up a working mini mag on ebay or CL for around $100. The mini mag was a good intro level electric downrigger but did not come with auto stop like the rest of the Cannon electric units.

robert53a
11-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi, I've been that route. I change my motor out very cheaply. The motor in these downrigger are the same motor as used in power windows. I found a large source in ebay. I paid $25 and got an extra one. They are easy to change out, just unplug the old one and plug in the new...........Robert

thefishwrangler
11-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Glad you got it going. I have 2 mini mags. For future info check out www.fish307.com They have everything you'll need to fix em up if the parts are still available. Tight lines......

rebelsportsman
11-20-2010, 08:10 PM
thanks for all the information on the motor. now i have the next question. can i get by with a 6# weight or will i need a heavier one? will i need to get several of different weights?

SuperD
11-20-2010, 09:38 PM
On the General Discussion forum there is a thread at the top called "FAQ's". There are links to some good information there. Here is a link to a thread on downrigger weights:

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=1790

Most of us will tell you that you are a little light at 6 lbs. 8 to 10 lbs is a much better choice for lake fishing. Don't need more than that unless you are considering the ocean.

rebelsportsman
12-11-2010, 10:19 AM
hopefully this is the last question about the downrigger.. i found some motors to bid on on ebay but, does it matter if they are driver side door motors or passenger side? i think that may only apply to the transmission part.

robert53a
12-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi, the one I got from ebay was a driver's side bocsh motor and I think it was for a late model ford mustang. I did lot of picture looking till I found one that match my minimag's configuration. It now works great and will haul a 12lb ball up and down with ease........Robert