PDA

View Full Version : Lower unit drive shaft seals

Fallriverguy
11-12-2010, 01:24 PM
My 6 hp Yamaha kicker is leaking gear oil from the upper vent holes on the lower unit. From what I have read that is a sure sign that my drive shaft seals need to be replaced.

Does anyone have any tips on replacing the seals? I replaced the impeller two years ago and that was straight forward.

Thanks.

SuperD
11-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Take a peak on this website. When you select down to your year & model of motor, there is a schematic blow up of the lower unit parts with part #'s for ordering. It will also show you where the seals are located and what you'll have to disassemble to get to them.

http://www.boats.net/

Berryessa Boater
11-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Hello, Do you have a Yamaha dealer in your area?, you are going to need the parts.....seal, gear lube etc. Have the dealer make you a copy from their shop manual, can't be more than a page or two, also consider buying a factory manual......money well spent. Maybe there is someone on this forum with a factory manual that can email you the necessary pages from their factory manual......Mark

twisted lines
11-13-2010, 02:50 PM
SuperD gave you the web site, got diagrams, and the right place to order the parts right there, If you changed the Impeller! jump on it youll get it done........TL

Bduck
11-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Also if your not going to get to it immediately, advise would be to drain the lower unit to prevent running the risk of freezing temps. If oil is seeping out chances are water is seeping in.

Fallriverguy
11-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys. I got the seals ordered. Bduck, thankfully there is no water in the lower unit.

Fallriverguy
12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I got the seals out and replaced, but ended up having to remove a part that I did not think I would have to and trashed the gasket. The new gasket just arrived so I'll hopefully get it put back together this weekend.

On another note, I posted this question on another fishing site and one person replied that Pennzoil semisynthic blend 2-stroke oil causes an oily discharge. I am on my third tank of gas with Pennzoil after using Yamalube for years. Now I get to find out if replacing the seals solves my problem.

Fallriverguy
12-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Here is an update:

I replaced the two drive shaft seals and the shift lever boot (it looked to be in sad shape). My first test run looked positive. I saw no evidence of oil leaking out of the top vent holes, like I did before the repairs, and no oil from the exhaust. So it does appear that my seals had failed and that most likely the different 2 stroke oil was not the culprit.

twisted lines
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
That is good to hear, I would run it about 10 hours, and let it sit a few days then pull the drain plug and just let a small amout out, see what comes out first water or gear oil just to make sure its not getting water it. TL