PDA

View Full Version : One Hook or Two?

Berryessa Boater
11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Hello to All; Am new to this fishery, and am in the process of making up my own Hoochies. I have seen two types of hook set-ups for the hoochie/s. Single & double hooks. Are most fish caught on the "trailor" (last hook), or are a certain percentage caught on the forward hook (closest to hoochie head), I have made up a few with the double hooks, and have added some (steelhead yard) (glow color) to the trailor hook. Since Kokanee, Land-locked Salmon, & Trout have teeth, I was thinking as "Steelheaders" do that the yarn gets caught in the fishes teeth providing extra time for a hook-up. Life is "Good" when you can sit in front of the TV, watch the Giants win the World Series & "Make-Up Gear".....Mark

Pogue
11-02-2010, 09:56 PM
From what I've seen (mainly salmon fishing in the salt), the trailer hook is the one that gets them. Most of the time I troll only a single hook even on a full size hoochie. Just my2cents

dunnigan jim
11-02-2010, 10:33 PM
I prefer the 2 hook set up for kokes . I have caught them on both the first hook and the trailor hook . If they hook up on the first hook the second hook usually gets hooked some where else on the koke . The single hook is the way I go for trout and lake salmon.. What ever works for you ..

trollmonkey
11-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I like the two hook set up for hootchies and spinners,for trout and kokes101chromefish101 Just wish I could tie them faster.101cactus101

SuperD
11-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Hitechkoke (Kevin) shoots a lot of under water video. The footage shows that the fish are wild slashers at the bait and not very accurate. 2 hooks is just a better percentage play IMO. If I told you the number of times my lure started out with 2 hooks but fished the last half of the day with only one hook I'd be embarranced. Kokes are brutal on tackle and trying to use pliers on a tazmanian devil fish usually results in broken hooks for me. Have lots of extra hooks tied up and ready to go. I do but I'm too impatient to switch them out when the bite is hot.

SilverBullets
11-03-2010, 02:05 AM
I mainly use Apex's for kokes. All my rigs are tied up with double hooks and I'd have say most of the time the kokes get hooked with the first hook in the mouth and the trailing hook does it's job as the fish is thrashing. When putting corn on both hooks if you get a hit and reel in to check your lure chances are the kernal on the first hook will be gone and the kernal on the trailer will still be there. Many times I leave the lure out after a drive-by hit with the 2nd hook set up and it gets hit again... chances of them stealing both kernals on the initial hit are pretty slim.

MMDON
11-03-2010, 08:38 AM
I mainly use Apex's for kokes. All my rigs are tied up with double hooks and I'd have say most of the time the kokes get hooked with the first hook in the mouth and the trailing hook does it's job as the fish is thrashing. When putting corn on both hooks if you get a hit and reel in to check your lure chances are the kernal on the first hook will be gone and the kernal on the trailer will still be there. Many times I leave the lure out after a drive-by hit with the 2nd hook set up and it gets hit again... chances of them stealing both kernals on the initial hit are pretty slim.

+1 on the Kokes being hooked by the lead hook most of the time. I also like two hooks as I know that even after a short missed strike I probably still have some bait out there! 101goodpost101

HiTechKoke
11-04-2010, 01:05 AM
Hitechkoke (Kevin) shoots a lot of under water video. The footage shows that the fish are wild slashers at the bait and not very accurate. 2 hooks is just a better percentage play IMO. If I told you the number of times my lure started out with 2 hooks but fished the last half of the day with only one hook I'd be embarranced. Kokes are brutal on tackle and trying to use pliers on a tazmanian devil fish usually results in broken hooks for me. Have lots of extra hooks tied up and ready to go. I do but I'm too impatient to switch them out when the bite is hot.

2 hooks all the way in my book. A lot of the hit miss is due to them having small mouths until they mature and they are chasing a wild target most of the time. In slowing down the video they do open wide and try to eat it but are not as adept as a trout or King in that respect so they are short on the bite.

When they get to the vampire stage it's all about slashing with that snout and thinking they can butt the lure away not to mention they can't even close their mouths at that stage. All with a grain of salt from observations, they did not write me a letter to tell me what they were thinking. :-)

Vary that length on the second hook, a dangling piece of corn on a hook a bit longer can be effective too.

As for using pliers they became obsolete once you get the X-tools dehooker and get the technique down plus you will not rough up your line. Check them out, West Marine carries them locally here, there are two sizes. Dreamcatcher Al turned me on to them a few years ago and I have sold others on them.

Glow hooks...shh...don't tell anyone!

Kevin