PDA

View Full Version : Lake Billy Chinook

gonefishing
10-30-2010, 11:56 PM
I was just reading about Lake Billy Chinook in Oregon. It was interest to learn that there is Kokanee there. Has anyone fished there in the last year. I was curious how plentiful are the fish and what size are they.:confused:

twisted lines
10-31-2010, 12:31 PM
There is a large group from another fourm that get together there early spring and have a camp out and mostly jig, there are special tribal permits required in some areas so if ya go make sure your aware of those areas, I have thought about going but its a long haul for me for 5 fish per day. There a several guys on here that do fish it, and some start as early as New years day, for trout the kokes come on a little later, but may be pick through that early. just my take as a never been rolleyes

gonefishing
11-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks, I am from Oregon and am trying to get a handle on the fishing there again. I spent a week at Wallowa lake this year. I will retire in about 4-6 years, and am looking at where to position myself for more fishing and less driving to do it. I was reading up on Lake Billy Shanook and found it interesting. I am a native of Oregon thinking of returning, but moving to the east Side of the mountains.

We shall see!

DLM
11-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Lot's of fish but no size to them the last several years. Fished there this summer at 13" was a good size fish.

dawson1922
11-01-2010, 11:59 PM
ya 13'' would hog there. If your looking to fish kok's around that area check out east lake, paulina, wickiup, odell,and cresent. The fish are bigger and not as much traffic on the water. Plus tribal permit was about $35

gonefishing
11-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I lived in Bend for a year and then moved. Have not been there for 15 years and I am considering moving there when I retire. I like good kokanee fishing so I am think hard about that area.

Thanks

Doc_Rhen
12-27-2010, 06:51 PM
I live up in Culver so I am about 5 minutes from my driveway to the first ramp at LBC and about the same to the ramp at haystack Reservoir. I believe that the last time I spoke with a F&W official they said that their current estimates put the koke population in LBC at around 4.2 million. Since they have dropped the limit to 5 kokes per day we have seen declining size for kokes in LBC. Last year 11" was at the top end but it was pretty easy for me to have a boat limit of 20-30 fish by 9:00 am on any given morning. There are just too many kokes. Lake Simtustus just below LBC had some nice fat 14"+ kokes last year that were a lot of fun to fish for. Central Oregon is certainly a great place for a freshwater fisherman. The biggest problem most days is deciding where to go. For me the other nice part of my location is that it is about 100 miles to the mouth of the John Day River for steelhead, salmon, walleye etc..., about 100 miles to Greenpeter for awesome koke fishing, and 100 miles to Odell/Crescent lakes for Kokes and lake trout and a little less to Wickiup, East, Paulina, Crane prarie, Cultus, Prineville, Ochoco, etc.....

gonefishing
12-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I am really trying to convince my wife to at least live close enought to make a trip occasionaly over to that area. I'll be making my decision in about 3 years where I am going to move to. I have always had a preference for where you live, but can't get to far away from family. You are a lucky man to have such bountiful fresh water fishing opportunities.

Thanks for the communication.

kenamatic
01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I agree with Doc, LOTS of fish and it can be a short day with a five fish limit. My wife has fished there since she was little and I have been going there twice a year since 2000. Great place to fish. Hopefully they will increase the limit back to 25/day in the near future.